PDA

View Full Version : MKIII Hunter Range Report

ZNinerFan
04-01-2012, 5:54 AM
I brought home my MKIII Hunter yesterday and took her to the range after running a couple of patches through the barrel.

I ran 200 rounds of CCI Minimags through the gun without any issues in regards to feeding or extracting.

My only gripe and it is totally my own fault, is that the gun was shooting high at exactly 12 o'clock roughly 3 inches at 20/25 yards. 7/10 yards was about an old silver dollar sized ragged hole after 20 rounds or so but still high.

I forgot to bring my small screwdriver with me so I was unable to adjust the sight. I compensated by adjusting my grip and changing my sight picture of the front post and was able to improve to about a 1/2 inch high. My brother was shooting high and to the left with it.

From a personal preference perspective, I think I will change the front fiber optic rod from red to green. I found the red fiber optic rod not to be as bright as the green kind I use on my Buckmark. I also found the stock grip to be a bit small for me. It didn't hinder my shooting any but the added thickness I will get with the Altamont grips will be welcome. I guess I am just used to double stack full sized guns.

I have to admit, I am always impressed with the level of accuracy I get with my Buckmark Camper and now I can add my Ruger MKIII Hunter. They may not be the most tactical looking guns in the world but they are great shooters. I was considering selling my Buckmark Camper to buy another MKIII just to make it easier with buying more mags etc but my Buckmark has run flawlessly and accurately for thousands of rounds making it hard to part with.

I think I will fire at least 1000 rounds through the MKIII Hunter before I strip her down for a cleaning. I have a Volq kit, Sams Bushing, LCI filler, and Altamont grip ready to install at some point but I think I will keep her stock for now.

If you guys are in the market for .22 handgun, don't let yourselves fall for the tactical .22 hype. Buy yourselves a Ruger or Buckmark and enjoy these steel guns for generations to come.

I'll update this thread again in the future.

Milsurps
04-01-2012, 6:49 AM
If you guys are in the market for .22 handgun, don't let yourselves fall for the tactical .22 hype. Buy yourselves a Ruger or Buckmark and enjoy these steel guns for generations to come.

I'll update this thread again in the future.

Great report. Thanks. :D
We have a MK I & II target along with a Buckmark camper.
I would be hard pressed to chose one to give up.

Did you see this episode of Top Guns?

Full of Buckmark and Ruger goodness. ;)

http://www.history.com/shows/top-guns/videos/playlists/full-episodes#top-guns-deuces-wild