PDA

View Full Version : Reporters at Angeles Shooting Range doing a story on gun control

whlgun
04-18-2007, 7:17 PM
Yesterday a group of news reporters came up and filmed everyone shooting. They also interviewed several employees about gun control laws and if we are strict enough in this state. They seemed friendly and they said it was going to be a positive report but who knows. I asked what network it would be on they said whatever network buys the story. I dont have info on the kinds of questions they asked on camera but the basis was do we need more laws.

Hopefully a shooters view on gun control and not them twisting our words to make us look like a bunch of gun nuts.

Giovani X
04-18-2007, 7:32 PM
This is my first posting, but it caught my attention, I am a fellow OLL owner and thanks again to all the people here on this site and in the state who could make that possible for us. Now as to the "reporters" you said were looking around, did you ask them for proper press credentials, if they were employed buy any of the major media outlets they would have had the press credentials and a matching van with the logo of the company they work for. On the other hand there a plenty of independant media people out there who under the guise of having a camera and crew work as "associated press" freelance crews that sell to the highest bidder. Now they may have told you one thing but spin sells news. If they can not produce credential you should not speak or even allow them to photograph you esspecialy with your gun....think about all the DOJ trolls we get around here(CALGUNS)now add all theese factors together and the DOJ may just have video of everyone there shooting to there hearts content. That could be spun either way.

Socal858
04-18-2007, 7:41 PM
IMO, the best thing to do when encountering freelance press like that is to act nicely, smile, and tell them you have nothing to say and wish them a wonderful day. that way they have nothing to spin and use against you.

whlgun
04-18-2007, 7:44 PM
This is my first posting, but it caught my attention, I am a fellow OLL owner and thanks again to all the people here on this site and in the state who could make that possible for us. Now as to the "reporters" you said were looking around, did you ask them for proper press credentials, if they were employed buy any of the major media outlets they would have had the press credentials and a matching van with the logo of the company they work for. On the other hand there a plenty of independant media people out there who under the guise of having a camera and crew work as "associated press" freelance crews that sell to the highest bidder. Now they may have told you one thing but spin sells news. If they can not produce credential you should not speak or even allow them to photograph you esspecialy with your gun....think about all the DOJ trolls we get around here(CALGUNS)now add all theese factors together and the DOJ may just have video of everyone there shooting to there hearts content. That could be spun either way.

Im not worried about the DOJ having a copy of the video they taped some interviews and some kids shooting a 22 and a employee shooting his 45. I didnt deal with there credentials or even cared. My boss dealt with them and thought they were ligit.We only had about 4 shooters at the time and they asked people if they could film them so no harm there.

Satex
04-18-2007, 8:13 PM
I asked what network it would be on they said whatever network buys the story. I dont have info on the kinds of questions they asked on camera but the basis was do we need more laws.

In order for them to sell it, they need to make it "hot". For them to make it "hot", they will have to twist every word that came out of anyones mouth. Don't expect anything good to come out of it.

whlgun
04-18-2007, 8:17 PM
In order for them to sell it, they need to make it "hot". For them to make it "hot", they will have to twist every word that came out of anyones mouth. Don't expect anything good to come out of it.

Thats why when they asked for a interview i said no thanks. I wanted nothing to do with it but my boss thought it was a good idea so he decided to let them film.

Creeping Incrementalism
04-18-2007, 8:17 PM
Mike Haas says that speaking to TV/radio now is a bad idea: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=55398

Gshock
04-18-2007, 8:52 PM
IMO I think all gun ranges should take a do not talk to media position and certainly not give them permission to film. I personally have never seen a news report with a positive view on guns, especially in the wake of some nut going on a killing spree. They can and will put a spin on anything, they'll ask if they can film your puppy dogs playing and next thing you know, they're on the 6:00 news saying how these dogs grow up to be viscious killers. My $.02