PDA

View Full Version : Wierd byproduct of the VT shooting.

PanzerAce
04-18-2007, 6:56 PM
People at my school who know I own guns are making jokes about keeping me calm, but then some of them stop and seriously consider it, and come to a nice conclusion. My boss put it the best way "He [referring to me] isn't the kind to snap like that. If he had a gun on campus, he would be the one trying to stop the guy".

It's kind of nice when people start to appreciate that guns can be a tool for good as well. Anybody else have similar experiences?

FreedomIsNotFree
04-18-2007, 6:57 PM
Just realize that your name is likely on a list once the subject is spoken about at school.

Creeping Incrementalism
04-18-2007, 8:34 PM
Just got my American Rifleman and Shotgun News in the mail today, and wondering if the mail lady will be putting me on some list.

"he gets gun magazines and catalogs all the time....":p

ORM-D... HazMat...

slick_711
04-18-2007, 9:18 PM
Just realize that your name is likely on a list once the subject is spoken about at school.

lol.

I've had a similar experience or two Ace, it's nice to have people recognize you for your good qualities regarding your gun ownership huh?

mcubed4130
04-18-2007, 9:44 PM
You mean the Federal Background Check, didn't already put us all on lists?

:)

-M3

Cato
04-18-2007, 9:46 PM
I've notice more news programs have been trying to present both sides of the gun control issue. Even on CNN and NPR they have brought up the issue that if there were some armed citizens on campus they could have stopped the murders.
Wouldn't it be a good thing if this tragedy ends with fewer gun laws? ie more concealed weapons permits

Juliet Lima
04-18-2007, 9:55 PM
My buddies ask me what I thought about it, being a gun owner myself. I wish I was there with a weapon on me. I could've stopped him at some point and maybe saved more people from dying senselessly. A major boost to the CCW issue. Anyone with a CCW and a weapon with them could've helped. A lot of people at work didn't think about that angle and was suprised to hear me say what I did. I don't see anything wrong with that mentality. A gun is for self-protection and, in this case, could've been for other peoples protection.

Matt C
04-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Crap, I'm the president of Students for the 2nd Amendment at my school... Good thing I'm on the governing board also.;)

Rumpled
04-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Had a good conversation with a couple of guys at work today.
I thought they were both antis; but they both expressed opinions about what if someone had a gun. So, I pushed the issue a bit more than I normally would in the anti culture of work; explaining some of the issues like the VA bill shot down last year and the quote from VT's media guy.

I'm already known as the guy that everyone's going to fly over to my house when the SHTF. (Man, I just can't make that sentence work - scratches head)

brownie168
04-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I have 2 options... Put away my Glock or wear a baseball cap...

jjperl
04-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Me and Dedeye had a 1.5 hour long debate about gun control during class today with a professor that is pretty much completely anti-gun.

The whole thing started off by the professor mentioning the tragic Virginia Tech shootings at the beginning of class, and then I think Dedeye mentioned something about gun control and then it was on from there.

There were several students on our side, including one chick that is in the process of getting her ccw permit.

Most of the other students were pretty much neutral about gun control and like one or two were for more gun control.

By the end of class I would say me and Dedeye pretty much kicked the professors azz and got most of the students on our side.

Needless to say it was really fun making the professor look stupid by proving him wrong 100% of the time. :D

I think next week we're going to invite the class up to the range to do some plinking in hopes of ridding them of their stupid fallacies.

xenophobe
04-19-2007, 2:45 AM
I've notice more news programs have been trying to present both sides of the gun control issue. Even on CNN and NPR they have brought up the issue that if there were some armed citizens on campus they could have stopped the murders.

Yes, people are starting to realize this, and even the media is starting to show a little less bias than they have in the past.

A larger segment of society is realizing that acts like this can't be stopped... unless there is someone armed to stop them.

colossians323
04-19-2007, 5:05 AM
On Monday around 10:00 am PST. I received a delivery at my place of work for 7,000 rounds of various calibers.
The guys in the warehouse and the UPS driver were all giving me strange stares.
I did not hear about the shooting till later on that night.
Now I understand the stares.
People who don't really shoot, or are afraid of firearms don't realize that 7,000 rounds isn't really that much ammo in the scheme of things.
I wonder if someone is going to be knocking on my door now?

tiki
04-19-2007, 5:33 AM
Yeah, I have been getting crap for a while now. I usually take guys from work to the range and show them how much fun it is. But, it did annoy me when I walked around work yesterday and people stopped me in the halls and said stuff like "I thought about you the other day...".

I sometimes get irritated enough to say something like "Yeah, I thought about you too, I was switching channels and stopped on Jerry Springer".

(My wallpaper on the desktop of my computer used to be an AR-15.)
I had a guy that sat in the cube across from me come over one day and say that I am scaring him. Here's how the conversation went:

Him: Hey Tiki, you are scaring me.
Me: Why? I didn't do anything.
Him: Everytime I look over in your cube, you are looking at pictures of guns.
Me: So?
Him: Well, I don't want you going postal on us.
Me: Don't worry, I have been looking at pictures of naked girls my whole life and I haven't turned into a rapist.

Now when I hear people talking about their cars or trucks at work, I always say something like "Don't drive that thing around drunk and kill anyone!" or when they talk about yard work its always fun to throw in a "I wish they would make fertilizer illegal. Oklahoma City showed just how dangerous that stuff is."

It does get old.

aileron
04-19-2007, 5:50 AM
People who don't really shoot, or are afraid of firearms don't realize that 7,000 rounds isn't really that much ammo in the scheme of things.
I wonder if someone is going to be knocking on my door now?

Mostly a bunch of us CalGunners wanting to help you shoot it all. 7000 rounds sounds like a good time for all in the desert. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

PanzerAce
04-19-2007, 5:51 AM
Wierd, I never have really encountered anybody that was that irrational about the whole thing. I have met antis, sure, but they didn't care about the specific pictures, just the general idea.

Grakken
04-19-2007, 7:10 AM
Wierd, I never have really encountered anybody that was that irrational about the whole thing. I have met antis, sure, but they didn't care about the specific pictures, just the general idea.

and that is the problem:(

Super_tactical
04-19-2007, 7:34 AM
I've also had some great conversations about 2A rights in the last 2 days. I think people may be waking up.

chiefcrash
04-19-2007, 9:21 AM
people in my office make jokes like "i'm gonna have to call in sick the day they fire this guy". But when they're serious, they know i'm the first person they want to have a gun. It even enters into their anti-gun arguements ("i trust you with a gun, but there just aren't enough people like you")

I have been told on several occasions by various friends/family/my gf that when the big earthquake/nuclear war/zombie uprising happens, they're hauling *** to my house...

grammaton76
04-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Heh, I get the "just let me know when you're gonna go postal so I don't come in that day" BS too.

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I was using my college's computer center to check my email and forums (internet access at home sucks) and I was browsing a thread where I had posted a picture of my collection (9 rifles and a hangun).

"Why are you looking at guns?"

"Those are mine."

"Oh..."

rips31
04-20-2007, 3:49 PM
ugh. i was told yesterday that there was a complaint made to human resources about my having my range targets on my cube walls. stupid thing is that if that person had just asked me to remove them, i would have. however, i've no idea what the complaint was or who made it.

it would be sad if someone made me take down mementoes of my hobby, just b/c i'm an asian male. i've never spoken or made threatening gestures, i've never even playfully 'shot' at ppl w/my fingers. my targets have been up for at least 6mo, so no one can say that they're just recently bothered by it.

wonder what would happen if i posted pix of my usmc friends in the sandbox w/all their gear. would anyone say stuff about that?