PDA

View Full Version : 1/5 Tula Ammo 9mm Fail-to-fire in my Glock (picture)

akdmx
03-31-2012, 2:29 PM
For the fist (and last) time I tried firing Tula Ammo out of my Glock 17 at the range this morning. To my amazement, approximately 1 in 5 rounds failed to fire. I usually shoot Federal, and in the 600+ rounds I've shot this has never happened. I fired a little under 100 rounds (gave up on the second box) and these are the 12 duds that I kept.

I took a picture so you could see where the firing pin had struck the primers:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4628/phototyz.jpg

The firing pin on the gun is stock, but I am running a Glockworx fulcrum trigger kit, which includes a lighter striker spring. I'm hesitant to blame the spring though, when none of the Federal rounds have failed to fire.

Has anyone else had such poor luck with Tula Ammo? Do the imprints on the primer look like they should have been enough to ignite the bullet?

InGrAM
03-31-2012, 2:39 PM
My brother likes to buy that garbage. We have the same hard primer/failure to ignite problems in our Glocks (g19 and g23) never in my M&P, though. :D

Don't buy it anymore. There is better ammo for a few cents more a box.

drifter2be
03-31-2012, 2:40 PM
Instead of being hesitant to blame the spring, or otherwise guessing about what the actual reason they didn't go off, try running them in a gun that hasn't been modified. I nor anyone I know that have shot Tula have every had an issue other than it being dirtier than most other off the shelf ammunition.

drifter2be
03-31-2012, 2:42 PM
My brother likes to buy that garbage. We have the same hard primer/failure to ignite problems in our Glocks (g19 and g23) never in my M&P, though. :D

Don't buy it anymore. There is better ammo for a few cents more a box.

That too, the price per 50rd of Tula 9mm at the local wally world is just around a quarter under $10, but 100rd box of Federal is $19.99. Why not spend less than a cent per round more and get something "decent"

Carsgunsandchics
03-31-2012, 2:45 PM
It appears that pretty much all steel cased ammo has harder primers than brass. Especially anything from Russia.

JaMail
03-31-2012, 2:45 PM
i shoot tula/wolf all the time out of my .45 and ive only had that happen 1 time out of close to 4k rounds..

Xingu
03-31-2012, 3:06 PM
...which includes a lighter striker spring.

For my armegeddon glock i like a heavier striker spring. I also add a heavier hammer spring in my AR rifles. Because when the world ends I can't choose my primers. For target, light is ok, but the ammo with hard primers will give you trouble.

Turo
03-31-2012, 3:24 PM
Tula primers are definitely harder than Federal primers (from my own experience and countless others) but your gun should be able to ignite them no problem. Change your striker spring back to stock and I guarantee your gun will fire those no problem.

Unless this is a dedicated target gun that you only run soft-primered rounds through (which it appears it's not since you're shooting Tula through it) your best course of action is to keep a heavier striker spring in the gun. If you don't, you'll keep having this problem.

Tripper
03-31-2012, 3:30 PM
i think you should just throw away that 1 in 5 rounds, then you wont have that problem, keep the 4 good ones of course, shoot only those

Tripper
03-31-2012, 3:33 PM
I've never used Tula myself, had no problems at all with WWB (100s) or UMC(250s) from Wally world. well, problem finding a wally world with them in stock
every so often they have federal 100 pack, but havent tried those yet, the guy in front of me bought the last 2 boxes when i seen them last.

rubber duckie
03-31-2012, 3:51 PM
so you changed the striker spring and blame the ammo? when it doesn't look like the pin hit hard enough?

FLAWLS1
03-31-2012, 3:51 PM
I've had that happen once to my Glock 19 using Winchester white box

akdmx
03-31-2012, 3:57 PM
You sound personally offended. Do you own Tula Ammo?

so you changed the striker spring and blame the ammo? when it doesn't look like the pin hit hard enough?

I was just surprised at the failure rate with this ammo since I've shot upwards of 600 rounds of Federal without any primers I couldn't ignite.

Also, it looks as if the striker made a pretty good imprint on those primers. I'm surprised that wasn't enough to ignite them.

I guess I'll just stop experimenting and stick with my Federsals.

vintagearms
03-31-2012, 4:06 PM
While it may indeed be that particular box of ammo, the most likey cause is the aftermarket spring. I would be willing to bet if you changed the spring back to stock that it would ignite the Tula ammo just fine.

IVC
03-31-2012, 4:12 PM
I used TulAmmo once and stopped before going through the second box due to a squib round. FTF I can handle, but squibs are just dangerous. Probably no powder at all since the bullet got stock very early in the barrel. It was .45AP, though.

sammy
03-31-2012, 4:16 PM
I have never shot Tula ammo but use there primers in most of my 9mm loads. In all 4 9mm Glocks i have not had a problem with these. They work in all my guns. The primer strikes look light to me. When the primer is hit the face needs to make positive contact with the anvil. If you look at your primers they are not dented very much. Now if they were Federal primers they would have worked, but Federal primers are not nearly as hard.

Put the factory spring in your gun and they will work just fine. (99% sure)

Domingo
03-31-2012, 4:17 PM
I had one light primer strike out of my Glock 22 one to many, with the light spring. I got home and got rid of the lighter spring stock one went back I want my glock to go bang every single time. glocks should fire any type of ammo

jdsons
03-31-2012, 4:28 PM
change to a .40 cal striker and spring. many local run and gun guys do this for the same reason with their reloads.

jdsons

Turo
03-31-2012, 4:39 PM
You sound personally offended. Do you own Tula Ammo?

I was just surprised at the failure rate with this ammo since I've shot upwards of 600 rounds of Federal without any primers I couldn't ignite.

Also, it looks as if the striker made a pretty good imprint on those primers. I'm surprised that wasn't enough to ignite them.

I guess I'll just stop experimenting and stick with my Federsals.

Actually, you sound pretty offended. The first question asked with any troubleshooting regarding guns with aftermarket changes is, "did it work when it was stock?" or some variation thereof.

The primer strikes shown in your photo very much look like light strikes. It's well known that Wolf/Tula primers are harder than the average Federal or Winchester. Combine those with the fact that your gun has an aftermarket part that purposefully decreases the striker's force, It's fairly obvious that the spring is the culprit.

clutchy
03-31-2012, 6:05 PM
that's weird... my Gen 1.5 G19 eats everything.

how new is your gun?

Anonymous21
03-31-2012, 6:26 PM
I would NEVER put that garbage in my PX4 Storm. Ive heard that those suck in my gun. My precious gun is like my man stick, like my man stick, it deserves the best of the best. I only feed it Remington, Winchester, Hornady or Speer.

rubber duckie
03-31-2012, 6:57 PM
im not sure about you guys, but i would be upset if my gun will not shoot every ammo 100% of the time. and will not feel safe keeping a gun that can only shoot a curtain type of ammo. your gun should be reliable to shoot every ammo 100%, minus if the ammo is really the problem. but seriously, if worse comes to worse and you could not get your hands on federals anymore.. then what? if all you had access to were tulas, how confident would you be in your glock? think about it, im sure you bought your gun because it was known to be reliable and go bang everytime. but now you have to buy a certain type of ammo. and now if you modified it and its sub par, why not revert back to stock have that peace of mind again.

den888
03-31-2012, 7:51 PM
Had it occur only once in my G30.

elsolo
03-31-2012, 8:06 PM
Federal has THE softest primers
Tula has harder than average primers
Those are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Years ago I had some euro ammo that required me to run a 22# mainspring in my CZ, normally run a 15# and set off any primers.

Since I don't plan on going to war and needing to scrounge ammo from wherever necessary, I just plan ahead and use what works in my fun guns.

Sheperd80
03-31-2012, 8:31 PM
I had about the same results in my m&p 9. Cleaned out the striker channel just in case gunk and light strikes played a part in the constant ftfires. Never buyin it again though. Wwb and rem umc have both fired 100% and theyre cheap enough.

curtru
03-31-2012, 9:19 PM
First I don't know why you are complaining about cost of ammo its a 9mm and I go with stock or heavier than stock spring because i would rather the gun go off than not when intended anyway my g17 ate anything that it was given they are good guns when left original

m98
04-01-2012, 1:01 AM
Actually, you sound pretty offended. The first question asked with any troubleshooting regarding guns with aftermarket changes is, "did it work when it was stock?" or some variation thereof.

The primer strikes shown in your photo very much look like light strikes. It's well known that Wolf/Tula primers are harder than the average Federal or Winchester. Combine those with the fact that your gun has an aftermarket part that purposefully decreases the striker's force, It's fairly obvious that the spring is the culprit.

+1....^^^^^........those looks like light primer strikes to me also. I've Never had any tula/wolf ammo fail on me in the countless thousands i've fired. Its a modified glock. Dont blame the russian ammo. Those rounds are still live. I bet if u run those ammo thru a bone stock glock, those rounds will all go bang.

LovingTheYear1911
04-01-2012, 9:32 AM
Don't buy Tulammo, its garbage

*as he goes and buys more himself*

elsolo
04-01-2012, 9:36 AM
You can return your Glock to a crummy trigger so that you can shoot crappy ammo...

or enjoy having a match-type trigger and know you need to run halfway decent ammo.

I'll go with the latter every time.