PDA

View Full Version : Glenfield Marlin Model 75 Questions

srvgtrfan
03-31-2012, 2:43 PM
So I have this .22lr rifle with no date on it, handed down to me when my father passed many years ago. When I was a kid I went out shooting with a neighbor and it shot OK, but I seem to remember it not being very accurate at all,(like maybe 1-2 feet off target). Could be because it was my first time at age 9, but my neighbor also said something wasn't right. The charging handle will not lock back, but I took it down, cleaned the filth from it, and lubricated it. I can't even see how the charging handle would lock back after studying it. Anyway, I fed some dummy rounds through it and it loads and ejects fine. The firing pin works fine as well. My questions are, do all Glenfield Marlin 75s have a locking charging handle? Again, mine has no serial number or date. And second, should I take it in to a gunsmith for inspection before firing it again? It's been about 35 years since it's been fired. I have torn it down twice just to clean/re-clean it recently. I am just a bit concerned about the integrity of the rifle at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

JAGGUY
03-31-2012, 5:17 PM
Early Glenfields like yours didn't lock the bolt back by pushing in the charging handle.
I have one made in '72 and it does lock back and it is an excellent shooter.

Personally I would take your rifle out and see how it does. They aren't complicated and as long as you shoot regular high velocity ammo. Just don't shoot hyper vel ammo like Stingers as that will cause the recoil buffer to break.

Actually, an old Glenfield like that could probably use a new buffer so if it seems to shoot you could order a new buffer and recoil spring from Midway and get another 30 years of shooting from it...

srvgtrfan
03-31-2012, 8:43 PM
Thank you much Jag. I appreciate the feedback.