PDA

View Full Version : Another Brady Campaign Email - AB 1471 Microstamping Bill

Sarkoon
04-18-2007, 1:07 PM
Help California Police Solve Handgun Crimes
Email the Committee on Public Safety to Support AB 1471!

Dear California StoptheNRA Member,

Next Tuesday, April 24, the California Assembly Public Safety Committee will hold a hearing on the Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007 (AB 1471), a bill that will enable law enforcement to better solve crimes committed with handguns and reduce gun trafficking. In 2006, we came very close to passage of this bill, thanks in part to your phone calls and emails. This year, we need your help once again to finally pass this bill.

EMAIL THE ASSEMBLY COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY TODAY!
Tell them: "Support the Crime Gun Identification Act (AB 1471)!"

Similar to last year’s bill, AB 352, the Crime Gun Identification Act would require that starting in 2010, new semi-automatic handguns be equipped with technology to allow police to match bullet shells found at a crime scene to the handgun that fired the bullets. This technology, known as "microstamping" would substantially enhance law enforcement’s ability to quickly identify and link shell casings found at a crime scene to the individual semi-automatic handgun from which it was fired.

We have a dedicated sponsor of the legislation, Assemblyman Mike Feuer (D-42), a former Los Angeles City Councilmember who has long been an advocate for sensible gun laws. He is depending on our support to pass this legislation this year.

Here is what you can do today:

1. Email the California Assembly Committee on Public Safety TODAY.
Tell them: "Support the Crime Gun Identification Act (AB 1471)!"
One click will email the entire committee.

2. Forward this e-mail to friends, family, and colleagues in California.

3. Click here to contribute to our efforts in California and across the country. Right now we have a matching gift from an anonymous donor. Your gift will be worth twice as much today!

For more information on this legislation or to get involved locally in the gun violence prevention movement locally, please contact the California Brady Campaign Chapters, and Women Against Gun Violence.

Thank you for working for safer communities in California!

Sincerely,
Your Friends at StoptheNRA.com

This stuff just keeps on coming!

Here's the link they provide to send an email to the "California Assembly Committee on Public Safety"
http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/R?i=H8ACfQJ_nZO-4TQ3ET5MGA..

MrTuffPaws
04-18-2007, 1:31 PM
Luckily, micro stamping is sooooo dumb that even the CA legislators can be swayed to vote against it.

SLYoteBoy
04-18-2007, 1:40 PM
And what about if you have a brass catcher , or you just pick up the shells?

Librarian
04-18-2007, 1:55 PM
And what about if you have a brass catcher , or you just pick up the shells?Or use a revolver, or a rifle or a shotgun? Or use a gun manufactured before the effective date of the law? Or pick up cases at a range and throw them down at a crime scene?

This bill is NOT about logic or public safety or crime. The proposal has been defeated in (two? three?) successive sessions, and it has been amply documented that it can't be useful. But somebody has it as an article of faith that it 'does something', and it keeps coming back.

Don't make the mistake of believing that arguments of fact are likely to have a lot of effect. Send them email or faxes; be sure you are counted in the 'against' category. The legislators are not, generally, reasoning about the content of this kind of bill; they're reasoning about whether they will be reelected. Opposition to that is all they seem to care about. (Excepting just a very few elected officials - we're not entirely alone here, but close.)

Sarkoon
04-18-2007, 1:55 PM
or you could just use a metal file on the microstamping pin (if it can't be removed without disabling the weapon), or just use a revolver instead.

zeek1974
04-18-2007, 2:37 PM
here's a link to the committe memebers if you want to write a NO to microstamping

http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newcomframeset.asp?committee=57

MrTuffPaws
04-18-2007, 2:38 PM
or you could just use a metal file on the microstamping pin (if it can't be removed without disabling the weapon), or just use a revolver instead.

Ha, I don't even need to do that. All of my autos leave primer swipes.

vrylak
04-18-2007, 3:34 PM
Given the results of the polls that are in favor of less gun control.

It looks like the the politicians are in a hurry to pass anti-RKBA bills while the blood of the victims haven't dried yet and the masses' attention are focused on the VT tragedy.

It looks as if they were hoping for the results to be in their favor and they think they could proceed right away to Plan B. Unfortunately for them it isn't and now they must push with Plan B no matter what. The quicker they get this out the less attention they think they could get away with it.

Dont Tread on Me
04-18-2007, 4:02 PM
In 2006, we came very close to passage of this bill, thanks in part to your phone calls and emails.

If anybody hesitates to send an e-mail because they don't think it will do any good just think about the Brady bunch member who is sending one.

dwtt
04-18-2007, 6:06 PM
That turkey Mark Leno is still on the public safety committee. I'll email him to oppose AB1471, but I know he will ignore me. I don't know about Fiona Ma, though. She's from San Francisco also, and is generally antigun, but maybe she is more reasonable than the other Democrats on the committee.