PDA

View Full Version : New Mosin Trigger... Review Please!

Josh Smith
03-30-2012, 6:02 PM
Hello,

These pare pictures of my roller trigger prototype. I'm confident it operates in public domain (as does everything I make!) due to the Finns' use of something very, very similar on the M39.

http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/dx.jpg

http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/side%201.jpg

http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/roller%201a.jpg

True drop in fit!

This prototype trigger follows in the tradition of the Finnish M39 pinned trigger. The differences are that the Finnish trigger does not have the overtravel screw and is two-stage.

The production trigger will not have such an obvious relief, but a small one will remain to eliminate sear pre-load.

This one is single-stage and will shorten takeup and overtravel. It will also very noticeably reduce the gritty feel of the trigger that is present regardless of the amount of polishing done. An 8lb trigger pull feels like a 5lb trigger pull using this.

I like the way the people of this board give frank and honest opinions.

I currently do have one of these, not so fancy and closer to the actual production model, in my rifle and it is very smooooooooooooooooth with a crisp letoff. Measured weight is 5lbs exactly.

Do you suppose there would be interest in this? I looked at the (patented) competition I would have, Timney and Huber, and both are almost twice what I could do one of these for. They run something like $88 to a little over $100 while I will be doing this for $30 to $50, and I provide the trigger.

Input is welcome.

Thanks!

Josh

bob7122
03-30-2012, 6:11 PM
idk but good luck.

Blitzburgh
03-30-2012, 6:14 PM
First - don't sell it to cheap. We all like a deal, but no sense in leaving any money on the table. Sell it on the up side of the pricing point - don't give anything away.

It's an intersting concept, and yes - the 91/30 trigger is a sore spot, especially on some of them. I'd be interesting in trying one - do you have any ready yet?

I mean afterall, the proof is in the pudding right?

And no offense meant whatsoever by this - but I get the impression from a number of your threads that you could use some "business advice" from time to time. I'd be happy to work with you on that. Of course I might need a free trigger or 3 ;)

If none are ready... how long until they are? How long does this take to make?

Bigtwin
03-30-2012, 6:58 PM
Josh...I am eagrly awaiting more info on the final run. Your site has been great in guidence of my Mosin. I have purchased the sight adjustment tool and been very happy. No hammer for me on the front sight.

Crunch130
03-30-2012, 7:09 PM
I can certainly endorse the Finn M39 trigger. Distinct 2-stage breaks at 4.5 to 5 lbs on my rifle.

Crunch

GSequoia
03-30-2012, 8:57 PM
I don't really have the budget to buy one but if you want to send one out for testing I'll try in in the three MNs I have :)

If I liked it I'd be tempted to put the money down. I've seen two stage triggers before but am hesitant to drop the money down without knowing how much better they are (haven't shot a Finn).

Are you modifying old triggers or milling new ones?

RED VASQUEZ
03-30-2012, 9:16 PM
I would buy one. Timney triggers strike me as too much of a Bubba add-on and I can't justify spending as much on a trigger as I did on the whole gun. Let us know when these become available so I can get my order in.

TRAP55
03-31-2012, 8:34 AM
Do you suppose there would be interest in this? I looked at the (patented) competition I would have, Timney and Huber, and both are almost twice what I could do one of these for. They run something like $88 to a little over $100 while I will be doing this for $30 to $50, and I provide the trigger.
Josh, I think you answered your own question. Build a better, cheaper, mouse trap, and you sell more mouse traps than the competition. I'll take one if it meets your claims.:)

Here's a blueprint for the Finn trigger if it helps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/TRAP55/finntrigger.jpg

hypnoman
03-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Really cool design, Josh . . . it looks workable and you already know it will accomplish what a lot of Mosin owners want their trigger to do for not an arm and a leg!! Continued success to you!!

TheExpertish
03-31-2012, 7:55 PM
I'd be interested in trying one.

Dark Sky Solutions
03-31-2012, 8:09 PM
I personally like a $30 price point but I agree u have to make your money. It is hard to justify a trigger for $50-$100 when most of the MN cost $100-$145 including dros.

Just my .02 but I am
Interested.

Josh Smith
04-12-2012, 6:28 AM
Hi Folks,

Attached is the first production one.

I plan on doing five per week.

Regards,

Josh

bruceflinch
04-12-2012, 7:14 AM
:( Great, now I have to go buy a Finn to try out your new trigger...:) Good Luck!

Flyin Brian
04-12-2012, 7:24 AM
:( Great, now I have to go buy a Finn to try out your new trigger...:) Good Luck!

If you buy a Finn, you wouldn't need a new trigger :D

bruceflinch
04-12-2012, 7:26 AM
^ Shows you how much I know about Mosin! :o

Josh Smith
04-12-2012, 7:47 AM

Why? It's a drop-in on the 91/30.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Mosin%20Nagant/rollertrigger.jpg

The pin serves as a roller bearing.

The design cannot be patented as the Finns were doing something very similar back in '39.

I have one set up on my personal Mosin 91/30 and it feels like the second stage of a two-stage K98's pull, but smoother.

Regards,

Josh

RED VASQUEZ
04-12-2012, 9:17 AM
Hopefully the prototype trigger will arrive today/tomorrow (according to the USPS website) I've been itching to get this thing in the gun and get a review going on it. Too bad Tumey hills is soaked right now and I won't be able to get any shooting done for a while.

Josh Smith
04-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Well darnit, figured on it being there by now, Red!

Regards,

Josh

Cessnapilot89
04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
May have to try one of these in my 91/30 coming up

peter95
04-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I may be interested but $100 is a bit too much.

I would probably do $35-$50?

Josh Smith
04-12-2012, 2:13 PM
I may be interested but $100 is a bit too much.

I would probably do $35-$50?

Hello,

Who said $100? Timney is $100.

This one is $50, and only because you all here told me not to undersell my products! It's listed at www.smith-sights.com .

I figure I can do about five of these per week.

Regards,

Josh

Cowboy T
04-12-2012, 5:40 PM
Nice idea here. Gotta remember, though, this is a $95 rifle everywhere but California.

RED VASQUEZ
04-15-2012, 9:19 PM
I had the opportunity to try Josh Smith's prototype roller bearing trigger and it rocks. I hit kind of a speed bump when I first installed it, which is why I took so long to get a review up. The trigger requires a slight modification to the sear, but it can easily be done by hand. The video for the mod is posted on smithsights.com above the order info for the sights. Once I got the sear figured out the trigger worked like a dream, much smoother pull and crisper break than the original. Hopefully next weekend I can get some shooting in, at which time I will give a follow-up report. I would post some pics and maybe some video but don't have a camera (or the techno-savvy) to do so. I will sign off by saying this thing does exactly what it says and that it's a bargain at half the cost of other triggers. If you want a better trigger for your Mosin I recommend this one.

Josh Smith
04-16-2012, 9:21 AM
Thank you, Red.

Yep, it was developed on a Finnish sear (or actually one I Finned myself for my 91/30).

It takes two small bends and the video (about 4 minutes long) takes longer to watch than it take to make the small bends in the sear spring!

Regards,

Josh

Toyman321
04-17-2012, 6:41 PM
This is very tempting, I've got a 91/30 sniper reproduction that I've floated the barrel inside the hand guard on and bedded the action. It's impressively accurate but trigger is its Achilles heel. I had actually been thinking about selling it partially due to the poor trigger, but this might be the ticket.