PDA

View Full Version : Best Cheap Accessories

joash
03-30-2012, 5:19 PM
Anyone have any good experiences with low budget accessories? It seems like the gun crowd can be real suckers for name brand marketing at times.

llamatrnr
03-30-2012, 5:42 PM
Fobus holsters come to mind

Jonb.
03-30-2012, 5:47 PM
Anyone have any good experiences with low budget accessories? It seems like the gun crowd can be real suckers for name brand marketing at times.

Accessories for? Categories might be helpful. Scopes, bags, holsters, guns etc.
All of the above?
Guns for example a Glock for $500 vs a Hi-Point for $200 there is an extreme difference and name branding is definitely not the reason for the mark up.
Another example is a KCI glock magazine vs a Glock factory magazine. The KCI does not go into the magwell as smoothly, sometimes they do not drop free, and side by side next to a factory magazine it is obviously a cheap knockoff. Does the magazine function properly? Most of the time, would I trust my life with it absolutely not.
While there are things in the shooting world that can be had at a great value most things firearms related are generally "you get what you paid for" type items. Definitely not calling this the case in everything but in most.
An example the other way are in electronic hearing protection. Most people buy the Howard Leight electronic ears they work great but are about $50 on sale. I have had great experience with the Caldwell emax low pros for $20 cheaper. Ive dropped em smashed them, and gotten them wet and they are still good to go.
I think in this your best bet is to ask when a specific item you want to purchase comes up just post a question has anyone used this, and you will likely run into someone that can steer you in the right direction.

joash
03-30-2012, 6:50 PM
I'm not really looking for anything specific. I'm just wondering if there are some bargains I'm missing out on.

All of the above?
Guns for example a Glock for $500 vs a Hi-Point for $200 there is an extreme difference and name branding is definitely not the reason for the mark up.
Another example is a KCI glock magazine vs a Glock factory magazine. The KCI does not go into the magwell as smoothly, sometimes they do not drop free, and side by side next to a factory magazine it is obviously a cheap knockoff. Does the magazine function properly? Most of the time, would I trust my life with it absolutely not.
While there are things in the shooting world that can be had at a great value most things firearms related are generally "you get what you paid for" type items. Definitely not calling this the case in everything but in most.
An example the other way are in electronic hearing protection. Most people buy the Howard Leight electronic ears they work great but are about $50 on sale. I have had great experience with the Caldwell emax low pros for $20 cheaper. Ive dropped em smashed them, and gotten them wet and they are still good to go.
I think in this your best bet is to ask when a specific item you want to purchase comes up just post a question has anyone used this, and you will likely run into someone that can steer you in the right direction.

G-Solutions
03-30-2012, 6:53 PM
Quality and Low budget... for the most part those two don't go together. I've tried a lot of low-budget gear and most of the time it became proof of you get what you pay for.

Just as Jonb already stated - if you are looking for something to trust your life to, you will have to invest into quality gear. Figure a Glock or a Springfield XD will run you around $500.

I guess I got the short end of Caldwell's QC - their electronic earmuffs were so quiet that I returned them a day later.

The only exception that I found is the Saiga - my first one was less than $300 and it has never let me down.

Jonb.
03-30-2012, 8:11 PM
Well then heres my list of quality and good prices.
Spikes tactical lower blank marked
My caldwells
Check out bullet_man911 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=397946) and his reload thread his ammo is GREAT RANGE AMMO FMJ's for those of us with stock glocks.
LAPG operator pants, bags, and polo shirts.
TDU BELT 5.11 great for IDPA
WalMarts winchester range bag the thing is in great shape just a little small but for 19 bucks its a great way to get started.
I consider Magpul stocks affordable ACS and down.
Same for anything from Bravo Company. Their AR BCG and gunfighter charging handles are good to go.
My paracord bracelets (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=477882).
HKDads (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=500293&highlight=hkdad) lead bullets.
Daniel defense barrels.
BlackHawk Warrior wear boots get them from optics planet they drop ship them direct so be prepared to wait about 2 weeks. They are just as nice as my Oakley's, but with an $80 price tag you cant beat it.
If I think of anymore I'll add to this.

bsg
03-30-2012, 9:30 PM
check out the site for L A Police Gear; i've gotten some great deals on closeout sales... of high quality items.

www.lapolicegear.com

billped
03-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Quality and low-budget can go together - it's not as if paying an extra $100 for the same product gets you a better product. As bsg points out, shop closeouts/sales. Online is the place to be.

I have found great items for great prices on Amazon where I get free 2-day shipping and pay no sales tax.

Also, practice the fine art of "buy once". It's frequently better to get higher quality gear but wait for a good price than to plunk down cash today on the lowest price item. Patience is the key here. I'm looking for a nice used .357 magnum lever rifle but will not buy it until the right opportunity arises - it may take a year or more, that's OK.

Lastly, avoid impulse buys. I have had perhaps one instance in my life when I regretted not buying something, but have had many dozens of situations where I regretted buying and the root cause was "oh, cool, not sure if I need it but what the heck!"

negolien
04-01-2012, 4:28 AM
All of the above?

Yup sorry but this threads just to non specific to answer anything but yes..

MossbergMan
04-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I've found after about 30 years of buying gun related equipment that if you buy cheap, low quality you buy it more often.
Lots of good info posted for quality at a reasonable price. LApolice gear is a favorite of mine.
Best range bag ever: Midway's competition bag, on sale often at $39. I've had Michaels, Dillion, Galati and my Midway bag has lasted the longest and it holds all my stuff (and as an instructor I have to carry alot).
Remember, buy cheap-buy often. And NO compromises on life safety equipment, unless of course you value your life less than I value mine. Buy the best you can afford.
Name brands usually get a reputation for a reason, quality. I acknowledge there are deals out there to be had and many products just coming to market that are really good, but don't have the name recogniztion or reputation yet. I'd rather not be the Beta test....unless the product was free for evaluation :-)

Nirrad
04-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I just got a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm and it's great. Low budget alternative to Leupold, and made in Oregon.

Uncle Mike's reinforced belt is a good alternative to the Black,5,leather,etc.

Kel-tec belt clip for a Ruger LCP is a good alternative to the Techna clip and it just requires minor bending to fit.

Foam earplugs from HD are a good alternative to the Howard Leight's.

I like low budget brands like NC Star, UTG and surplus stuff. It's a good alternative to the mainstream, new mil-spec and works good enough for my applications.

And if you feel like you're missing out on some good deals, perhaps you could sign up at Dvor - every day there are deals to be had. But I don't get up early enough it seems, as stuff is already sold out. Darn East Coasters!

Edit: Oh, and I like my Fobus paddle for my Glock too. lol

Solid Foundation
04-06-2012, 2:22 PM
For those who like the Fobus holster you'll want to watch the following Youtube clip. Please keep in mind that this video is nearly 10 years old so I don't know if Fobus has made any changes to their design that would prevent this from happening.

oDeKtgkZKmQ

Also, it's the internet, who knows if it's really true. Take it with a grain of salt :)