PDA

View Full Version : nonimmigrant hunting license exemption (store policy question)

fd15k
03-30-2012, 2:42 PM
Colleague of mine went to Turners in Torrance another day, with intention of checking out some bolt-action rifles, and possibly buying one. He is an H1B holder, and had Alaska hunting license for a while, to allow him to do shooting. He is also a California resident.

First he was told by a sales rep that in order to purchase a firearm his hunting license has to be from California, with safety course and everything. They then double-checked on that, and agreed that Federal law does not care whether the license is issued in the same state where person is living and buying the firearm. Then they weren't sure if there would be a problem with California law, and said they would get back to him on that. Well, they didn't.

So the question is whether an out of state hunting license would suffice in this case, and who can he refer to when at the store, should the sales rep refuse the sale again.

Thanks!

Speedpower
03-30-2012, 4:43 PM
Wrong Thread to post this question!

Better post it in the Gun Discussion Thread.

fd15k
03-30-2012, 4:49 PM
Wrong Thread to post this question!

Better post it in the Gun Discussion Thread.

Technically that would be a 2A / Legal Discussion topic, if I didn't know the answer. But in this case it's more of a store policy / training / customer service issue.

gr8dragon88
03-30-2012, 5:16 PM
Colleague of mine went to Turners in Torrance another day, with intention of checking out some bolt-action rifles, and possibly buying one. He is an H1B holder, and had Alaska hunting license for a while, to allow him to do shooting. He is also a California resident.

First he was told by a sales rep that in order to purchase a firearm his hunting license has to be from California, with safety course and everything. They then double-checked on that, and agreed that Federal law does not care whether the license is issued in the same state where person is living and buying the firearm. Then they weren't sure if there would be a problem with California law, and said they would get back to him on that. Well, they didn't.

So the question is whether an out of state hunting license would suffice in this case, and who can he refer to when at the store, should the sales rep refuse the sale again.

Thanks!

From CA DOJ's web site:

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3

The Fed only requires he shows the valid hunting license as stated in the 4473 instructions for question 11.1.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

fd15k
03-30-2012, 5:44 PM
From CA DOJ's web site:

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3

The Fed only requires he shows the valid hunting license as stated in the 4473 instructions for question 11.1.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Thanks. I have to re-iterate once again, that knowing and complying with the law doesn't guarantee one is able to purchase/transfer a firearm at a given FFL. What I'm looking for here is some input from Turner's employees.

SemperFlexibus
04-05-2012, 7:12 AM
Thanks. I have to re-iterate once again, that knowing and complying with the law doesn't guarantee one is able to purchase/transfer a firearm at a given FFL. What I'm looking for here is some input from Turner's employees.

ironic but true... especially with torrance and reseda...

Turner's Outdoorsman
04-05-2012, 4:33 PM

Thanks!

The store did get this question to our office and we got an answer/clarification from ATF (non-immigrant alien restrictions are a Federal issue; not DOJ). (Also, they just got that e-mail yesterday.)

A current/valid hunting license from any state will suffice for "proof of sporting purpose" for non-immigrant aliens wishing to buy guns or ammo; it does not have to be issued in the state where the non-immigrant alien resides.

So as long as the AK license is current, he's good to go.

fd15k
04-05-2012, 4:39 PM
The store did get this question to our office and we got an answer/clarification from ATF (non-immigrant alien restrictions are a Federal issue; not DOJ). (Also, they just got that e-mail yesterday.)

A current/valid hunting license from any state will suffice for "proof of sporting purpose" for non-immigrant aliens wishing to buy guns or ammo; it does not have to be issued in the state where the non-immigrant alien resides.

So as long as the AK license is current, he's good to go.

Thank you!