PDA

View Full Version : Do Hi-standard 22lr mags fit the Challenger?

htfan
03-30-2012, 1:38 PM
Spent a little time at the Gun Show in Costa Mesa last weekend. Ran across some hi-standard 22lr magazines that look like they could fit a Browning Challenger. (The booth attendant told me they would definitely fit.)

Good price, but did not want to take the chance of wasting more money or damaging gun.

I've done some searching, but can't seem to find an answer on the web.

Any input from fellow Calgunners is appreciated!

MMA
03-30-2012, 1:58 PM
Just tried it. Victor magazines do not fit a Challenger III. Not even close. The slide follower button is on the opposite side of the magazine.

Don't know about Supermatics, or other Challengers though.

htfan
03-31-2012, 7:17 AM
The Challenger III mag is quite different from the I. The hi-standard mags I saw at the show would not fit the Challenger III either. From my research, the lack of info on the subject seems to say no one has really spent the time to test it. Don't blame them.

Appreciate the feedback.

laika
03-31-2012, 6:48 PM
There are different High Standard styles of magazines; do you remember which one you were checking?

htfan
04-01-2012, 7:57 AM
There are different High Standard styles of magazines; do you remember which one you were checking?

A number of tables at the Gun show had them displayed. They were described as "Hi Standard 22lr mags" with no other details. They looked a lot like Challenger I mags.

Here's a pic:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/336/336697.jpg

Here's a link to a product listing on Midway's site:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/336697/national-magazine-high-standard-pistol-22-long-rifle-10-round-steel-blue

brassburnz
04-12-2012, 10:02 AM
It has been my experience at the local gun shows that:

1. If you ask the guy selling something, "Will this fit my gun?" the answer is, "Yes." The seller is probably thinking, "Anything can be made to fit your gun."

2. If returning the item is more of a hassle than it's worth, don't buy it.

3. If the price is way under value, something is probably wrong with the item.

My friend bought some 9mm 1911 magazines at the Victorville gun show a couple of weeks ago. He asked the seller if it would work in his Springfield Armory 1911. The seller said yes. We tried them out in a couple of different 1911's. The magazines fit, but they had to be forced into the mag way. The mags were out of spec. Pretty sure the seller knew they were out of spec because he was selling them for 6 bucks a pop.

htfan
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
^^^ My thoughts exactly!

I assumed their default gunshow answer was "YES" regardless... Because the burden of resolving the "wrong mag" issue after the show would be on our shoulders.

htfan
04-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Just noticed something and thought I should share...

Answered the original question with this picture of a Challenger I mag:

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/MAG-161.jpg

Do you now see the problem with the hi-standard mags?

This also confirms MMA's post commenting on the Challenger III mag fit.