PDA

View Full Version : Decding on a 22lr Pistol; Conversion or dedicated weapon?

jrara
03-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey All,

I am trying to get into more Rimfire.

I was wondering if it would be better for me buy a conversion kit or just flat out buy a dedicated weapon?

Opinions and thoughts?

If Dedicated, what are the best for cheap ammo plinking?

facn650
03-30-2012, 1:12 PM
Not into conversions but popular for plinking are the Ruger Mark II/III, 22/45 or the Browning Buckmark camper. The SR22P is also very nice and I just purchased one but don't have it in my hands yet.

The Ruger Mark II/III/22-45 is the least picky with ammo as far as I know.

Izzy43
03-30-2012, 1:42 PM
Also might want to look at the S&W 22A. Not as pretty as a Ruger or Buckmark but nice accurate pistol and lifetme warranty. I have one and after 2000 rounds never a hiccup. Very simple to disassemle and clean. Built in Pictanny rail on top with adjustable rear sight. I have the 5.5" barrel model, wish I had gone with the 4", its kind of barrel heavy. Some creep in the trigger but breaks nicely.

sofbak
03-30-2012, 2:43 PM
I have rimfire conversions for these:

Sig P220
SA 1911
CZ SP01 Tactical
and I'm planning on getting one for the Browning Hi-power as well.

I only have one dedicated rimfire handgun, and considering the "dual use" nature of the above, it rarely gets out of the safe. Much more satisfying for me to carry one pistol and the kit to the range. Practice with the large caliber first, and then switch to the rimfire kit for extended, economical work with the same frame.

ymmv.

pennys dad
03-30-2012, 3:04 PM
I have to agree with sofbak's point.

I have several dedicated 22lr pistols, but since I have started moving to 1911's i am seriously considering conversions, I do have the GSG 1911 and that is working out extremely well.

I have rimfire conversions for these:

Sig P220
SA 1911
CZ SP01 Tactical
and I'm planning on getting one for the Browning Hi-power as well.

I only have one dedicated rimfire handgun, and considering the "dual use" nature of the above, it rarely gets out of the safe. Much more satisfying for me to carry one pistol and the kit to the range. Practice with the large caliber first, and then switch to the rimfire kit for extended, economical work with the same frame.

ymmv.

cebuvfr
03-30-2012, 3:15 PM
I have conversion kits for my G23, Sig 229 and Kimber Stailess ll. I enjoy using them because it allows me to get used the same trigger pull. They're all fun to shoot and pretty much accurate, though not as much as my Ruger MK lll target.

DVSmith
03-30-2012, 3:22 PM
I have glock and 1911 conversions. I rarely use them. I tend to shoot my dedicated .22's when out plinking. The conversions are fun though, I just find I don't grab them very often. the Glock conversion is kind of picky about ammo. Shoots CCI Mini-Mags well, but the bargain basement stuff isn't reliable in it. The Ruger, Browning and S&W .22's seem to eat anything.

raddogz
03-30-2012, 3:56 PM
Great replies to the same question I am facing as well.

I have CZ and the conversion is almost the same price a Ruger 22/45 or Mark III target - tough decision as to what to purchase. I am leaning towards a dedicated .22 pistol just for an extra pistol when I go to the range with new shooters

JNunez23
03-30-2012, 3:57 PM
Just get a new .22, it's a brand new gun after all for about the same or a couple hundred bucks more. Depending on how expensive your taste is ;)

I personally own a GSG and love it. While my shooting instructor REALLY tried to talk me out of it. He seemed to think it was better to buy the conversion kit.

To each his own...

stevec223
03-31-2012, 9:48 AM
i have a kimber 22 conversion....shoots lights out and will fit 1911s of different makes...(fits my kimbers and colts).....ruger mk 2 has been my dedicated fun gun for 25 years (6 7/8 tapered target barrel)...will shoot quarters all day...22s are addicteve....pretty soon you will own many...lol...have fun !!

GLOCK34
03-31-2012, 10:07 AM
I just put my GSG 1911 in jail :) Havent shot it before but the gun feels great at my hand and weight about the same as the real thing.

Here is a very detailed review just came up few days ago:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/joe-grine/gun-review-german-sport-guns-gsg-1911-22/

CombatDOC
03-31-2012, 10:10 AM
+1 on S & W 22A... I just picked up one last week and its a blast to shoot and very accurate out of the box.

Also might want to look at the S&W 22A. Not as pretty as a Ruger or Buckmark but nice accurate pistol and lifetme warranty. I have one and after 2000 rounds never a hiccup. Very simple to disassemle and clean. Built in Pictanny rail on top with adjustable rear sight. I have the 5.5" barrel model, wish I had gone with the 4", its kind of barrel heavy. Some creep in the trigger but breaks nicely.

brassburnz
04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Depends what you want to do with it. If I want to get more trigger time with my centerfire pistols but want to save money, I throw on the .22 rimfire conversion. I've got the Advantage Arms conversion for my Glock 17 and 22. I usually start out with the .22 conversion to practice my sight picture. Much more fun than dry firing. Then switch over to the centerfire upper.

I have two Marvel Unit 1 conversions on dedicated 1911 frames. Both conversions came with test targets showing 5 shot groups at around 1/2 an inch at 50 yards. These are the most accurate .22 pistols I own. If I can't hit what I'm aiming at, it's me-not the gun.

After I picked up the Marvel conversions, I retired the rest of my .22 pistols including a Ruger MKII Target, Hartford High Standard Victor, and 2nd Generation Colt Woodsman Match Target.

If you do decide to pick up .22 pistol, the Smith and Wesson 22A is a fine little pistol. (I've got one.) But you might want to look for something kinda off the charts, like a used High Standard or a Colt Woodsman/Challenger/Huntsman or Browning Nomad or Challenger. If you look, you can find them for under $300 and they will maintain their value and perhaps increase in value over the years.

Gatotsu77
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I had debated as to whether I wanted a rimfire conversion or a dedicated rimfire firearm for a couple months, until I finally settled on a conversion. Off to the store I went with cash in hand, only to find that they were out of stock. (I only checked two stores) While I was there I decided to check out another gun I had been interested in, and fell in love with it. I ended up buying an HK Umarex MP5 A5. I realize that it is not a pistol, but my reasoning may suit your concerns.

I wanted the rimfire conversion to get some more trigger time with my Kimber Custom II, but the notion of being picky on ammo didn't appeal to me much. I did learn that mini-mags would serve just fine.. Which wouldn't be as cheap as bulk-pack .22, but still far cheaper than 45acp. I then realized that the conversion will not lock the slide open upon firing the last round in the magazine. This was no big deal for me, as I always count my shots, but I take friends and family who I know don't always count, and I didn't want to deal with a peened chamber, or a busted firing pin. I decided to select a weapon that would both make me happy and serve well as a range gun which I can teach others to shoot on.

I'm sure everyone's oppinions will differ, but that was my reasoning for picking the MP5. (and it is a phenomenal firearm to boot... 650 rounds without missing a beat on the first range trip)

gorenut
04-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Not into conversions but popular for plinking are the Ruger Mark II/III, 22/45 or the Browning Buckmark camper. The SR22P is also very nice and I just purchased one but don't have it in my hands yet.

The Ruger Mark II/III/22-45 is the least picky with ammo as far as I know.

Pretty much this.

I've owned 3 conversion kits and now I own none. Personally, I'd rather just have a dedicated 22. I don't like swapping out the slide, etc in the range. Its just easier to have another one and switch back and forth any time you want. Unless you're running and gunning drills, I don't see a big benefit of having a conversion kit over a dedicated 22. The trigger pull will be different, as will the weight, not to mention often times the sights and point of aim will vary, and on top of having a completely different recoil.

For range use, a dedicated 22 will give you all the trigger practice you need. With a conversion kit, the benefit is that the dimensions and controls are all the same as your defensive weapon so you can do drills for cheap.

antonius
04-12-2012, 9:35 PM
+1

For range use, a dedicated 22 will give you all the trigger practice you need. With a conversion kit, the benefit is that the dimensions and controls are all the same as your defensive weapon so you can do drills for cheap.

For dedicated, I'd suggest a GSG-1911 or Ruger MkIII. Always nice to have another pistol in the safe.

IrishPirate
04-12-2012, 9:42 PM
conversion for plinking, dedicated for competition.

Domingo
04-15-2012, 7:47 PM
just picked up a kimber 22 conversion love it
same as my glock conversion
I do own a ruger 22/45 fun little pistol the most accurate out of the 3 but for fun I'll take the conversion

Dark Mod
04-15-2012, 8:58 PM
If S ever HTF you cant arm your buddy with a conversion kit. They end up costing about the same anyway

ThatFishGuy
04-16-2012, 10:27 AM
I just picked up an advantage arms conversion kit for my 1911. I debated the same thing for the last year or so, but finally came across one at a local store and just went for it. Its the target model, and i cant believe i waited so long to get it. out of the box the sights were only one click off for me, and it is very accurate even with cheap ammo. It actually runs very well with bulk pack remington golden bullets. It comes with great bomar type sights and a serrated top slide top, fits in my 1911's holster, and i get to keep the great trigger and controls. It wasnt any cheaper than another .22 pistol, but it was cash and carry and i already loved my 1911 :D

sofbak
04-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Which rem gold bullets were you using-the 36 gr. hp or the 40 grn round nose?

Xtracrispy
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
I had the same dilemma once I got my 1911. I ended up getting a Sig Mosquito due to the fact that it was about $80 more than a cheaper conversion, and I didn't have to swap back and forth, and having a extra pistol for friends.

I have had good luck with the Mosquito, no problems with reliability that some complain of, and definitely fun. I don't think you can really go wrong with any option though. A bonus with a conversion is no 10 day, though!

SDM44
04-16-2012, 11:05 AM
For the price of a .22LR conversion, you can pretty much get an entire .22LR handgun that's using the same platform.... ie, a GSG 1911 to go with your .45 1911. Makes it nice to shoot both of them without having to change the slide & mags each time.

ojisan
04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
The Buckmarks and Rugers are both great and you can't go wrong with them.
It's good to have an extra gun to share when you are at the range with friends.

I just got a Kimber .22 conversion kit for my 1911, this kinda fell into my lap and was not a planned purchase.
I figured the usual problems with new parts set-up and tweaking them would be needed.
The Kimber kit fit great and functioned perfect from the very first shot using cheapo Federal bulk ammo.
I brought other ammo to use just in case but not a single misfire or jam of any kind, I kept shooting the Federal.
Awesome iron sights and very accurate even with my aging eyes.
I only got to fire a couple hundred rounds so far but I will go ahead and give the Kimber kit an A+ rating.

I guess my reply is not very helpfull...both options are good.
:o

ThatFishGuy
04-16-2012, 4:41 PM
Sofbak- I was using the 36 gr hollowpoints since thats what i had on hand. Supposedly the 40gr works better but i had no malfunctions with this ammo. I've only had jams with ammo that wasnt plated ans some works better than others here.

true you can get a gsg 1911-22 for pretty much the same price. But if you have a gun with any kind of trigger work or changes to the frame, then its an extra cost if you have to get the new gun and then add on the custom features you like.

ThatFishGuy
04-16-2012, 4:42 PM
If you plan to leave things box stock this isnt an issue ^^^

stitchnicklas
04-16-2012, 9:55 PM
i was going to get a advantage arms conversion for my g19 but i bought a issc m22 instead and saved money.

gun is pretty nice

shinbone
04-17-2012, 7:13 AM
I had a conversion slide for my Sig P226, but sold it. It made the gun far too light and I just didn't like it. The 22/45 and Buckmarks I think are the way to go. If Im not mistaken, the Marvel conversion slide for 1911s are made of steel and retain the heft and balance, that one would be good in my book.

Webologist
04-18-2012, 7:50 PM
+1 on S & W 22A... I just picked up one last week and its a blast to shoot and very accurate out of the box.
+1 more. Reliable and amazingly accurate.

diver160651
04-18-2012, 8:18 PM

+1 on the GSG; I like to keep the fitted parts of slide and frame on my high $ 1911s matched. A trigger job and adjustable sites make the GSG a great shooter and transparent feeling to my other 1911's. Picture attached is over a 100 rounds of mixed ammo between the guns..

My 2cents

repo4sale
04-19-2012, 1:53 PM
1100 rounds 22LR $33
VS.
100 rounds 40SW $33
using my G27 & G23 Glock conversions!
Advantage Arms!!!! That's a 1000% return on my money!!!

Furncliff
04-19-2012, 7:08 PM
I like shooting cheap ammo through my full size, full weight 9mm handgun. The CZ75b along with the Kadet conversion was an excellent investment. The change over takes 15 seconds so there's no excuse not to shoot both, the accuracy is excellent.

The CZ75b was my first centerfire handgun. I bought it on a whim without knowing ANYTHING about it simply because it fit me. Now I own a bunch more CZ handguns and rifles.

raddogz
04-19-2012, 8:12 PM
Browning Buck Mark standard URX :)

korny351
04-20-2012, 7:13 AM
One consideration that's not talked about much is whether your centerfire has been modded or stock. I've a CZ SP-01 with polished internals and lightened springs. Really liking the smooth and light trigger that I got. I have the Kadet kit which has been great. Super accurate. Unfortunately, the 11.5# hammer spring doesn't have the power to run the conversion reliably. Way too many light strikes. In order to ignite the rimfire 100% I need to swap out the main spring to a 16#er. A liitle more involved than just swapping slides.

KandyRedCoi
04-20-2012, 8:39 AM
im also on the same boat

i like the fact that a conversion lets you practice endless hours on your dedicated "go to" handgun which for me is a 1911

but

i also like the fact of having a complete other pistol in the safe either for shtf to arm a family member/friend, or just more toys to share at the range (ruger 22/45 MK3)

either way id probably end up with both but cant decide which to go with first, my question is, will the 22/45 simulate "enough" aspects of a 1911 to meet both my needs?

thanks

raddogz
04-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I think it will be completely up to what feels right in your hand.

I was looking at the GSG, the Ruger Mark III, Ruger 22/45, and the Buckmark. The cost was really not that much of difference between all of the above. I tried the Rugers and the Buckmark and choose the latter due to the fit and weight (my preference is a heavier gun) ymmv.