PDA

View Full Version : AB 362 passed out of PSC.

bg
04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I realize there's a thread going and if the Mods want to move this, fine
by me, but I thought it important to let members know AB 362 the ammo ban
bill passed out of the Public Safety Committee and is on it's way to the
Assembly Appropriation Committee.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_5693576

SACRAMENTO California would become the first state in the nation to require instant background checks on handgun bullet buyers under an anti-gang bill that cleared its first, key hurdle Tuesday.

The Assembly's Public Safety Committee approved AB362, sponsored by Los Angeles officials and backed by Bay Area authorities concerned about California's increasing gun violence.

"It's unbelievable it's harder to buy a can of spray paint than bullets, and that a gang-banger can walk into a sporting goods store and walk out with a crate of ammunition, no questions asked," Assemblyman Kevin de Leon, the Los Angeles Democrat who authored the bill, told committee members.

"It's time to put an end to this Wild West mentality."

Wonder what it'll take to start ANY form of mentality up at the Legislature ?
This is a terrible bill.

bwiese
04-18-2007, 12:02 PM
This may actually be good in a sideways way. I'm sure they didn't think of this, but creeping incrementalism works both ways!

But now they've admitted they can do instant background checks... :)

Therefore, the same mechanism could be used to do no-waiting period delivery of firearms to new purchasers or PPT transferees.

Carole Migden's proposed bill about a ability to issue a firearms possessor's paper, card, etc. (forgot the exact details - but in essence it shows not only did you DROS, but you actually took possession of gun(s)) adds to this.

This readily allows no-waiting-period delivery of firearms to instant-checked persons that already are proved to own firearms.

There's no logical point for instant-checked ammo and 10 day wait guns for those already owning guns. And a wait period for ammo is politically unsupportable.

This is getting interesting, folks - it could logically evolve into something like what Las Vegas has (which is different from rest of NV) - folks have some kinda purplish? colored card that says they're eligible to purchase firearms, which removes grief from dealers and avoids waiting period BS, etc. Card's status is continually maintained/updated (get in trouble where firearms rights are denied, lose the card...)

Can'thavenuthingood
04-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Couldn't the same thing be done with a COE?

Just make the COE a card format rather than that big *** chunk of paper.

Vick

redneckshootist
04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I wonder how they will do the checks on people that load thier own and what about mail order ammo?

jjperl
04-18-2007, 1:06 PM
so I'm guessing if this passes and your a felon you can't possibly buy handgun ammo from a retailer?

Sig226
04-18-2007, 1:38 PM
I also wonder what this would do to ammo that can be used in either a pistol or a rifle.

.22lr anyone?

ViPER395
04-18-2007, 2:32 PM
Its not to hard to buy a car. You don't even need a background check.

Last time I checked, cars were killing people alot more often that guns.

Cpl_Peters
04-18-2007, 2:45 PM
Its not to hard to buy a car. You don't even need a background check.

Last time I checked, cars were killing people alot more often that guns.

+1

I'd rather avoid a background check every time i go to the range and buy some ammo for the day

odysseus
04-18-2007, 3:32 PM
It's plain stupid.

Also consider this, systems develop "profiles" of people. Even though all of us know that it is easy to go through thousands of rounds of ammunition even in a year (since one goes through hundreds easily on 1 trip to the range), that those who buy more will be certainly profiled.

People who are not a part of the gun-culture don't understand why someone would buy a thousand rounds of ammunition and hold that much. You think these initiatives are about "authorizing" buyers? No, this is about tracking who is buying and how much into their database.

As though this would keep anyone safer and out of gang member's hands, is straight stupid.

Bwiese, I see the point you are making - but I can't agree that this would then quicken other processes. No Cali politico would put their name to that unless the direction in this state truly changes.

lazuris
04-18-2007, 3:55 PM
Sorry guys but i've got to disagree with you on this one. I'd rather wait 10 days to buy a gun, versus having a background check when i buy my ammo.
Further more this would destroy online sales it looks like. I buy close to 500-1000 rounds a month and i shoot every round of that at the range. I can see it now, Southern California man buys 12,000 rounds, more at 11

bwiese
04-18-2007, 4:04 PM
Bwiese, I see the point you are making - but I can't agree that this would then quicken other processes.

Which is why this may not see the light of day ;)

WokMaster1
04-18-2007, 4:10 PM
I would love to see a format like a club (CMP affiliate clubs) where members are required to pass a federal background check, shooting safety & qualification & are issued a ID card (F-proof, of course). This card would waive any 10 day wait on buying ammo, firearms & number of handguns per month.

I remember when I lived in Florida, a CCW permit waives waiting period & other restrictions. This could be laying the groundwork for CCW. Pipe dream but at least I'm dreaming for good things to happen to us here.

This club idea came up whenever I see the AARP at work. They are a private club with a BIG political arm at every political level. When they talk, politicians listen or they'll deny them membership when they get old......:D

DrjonesUSA
04-18-2007, 4:43 PM
Bump/tag.....

Anthonysmanifesto
04-18-2007, 6:24 PM
"inside bay area dot com" (http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_5693492)

LA Daily News (http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_5691085)

The Authors original press release (http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a45/pdf/20070215AD45PR04.pdf)... in spanish, just for kicks

whittier daily news (http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_5691477)

aileron
04-19-2007, 5:57 AM
I smell the ammo black market coming...