PDA

View Full Version : Savage 64 TRR-SR vs Ruger 10/22

testarija@yahoo.com
03-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Before I bought my Savage 64 TRR-SR, I shot several Ruger 10/22's to better understand why these rifles are so popular. The 10/22ís I shoot where totally tricked out. All of them had aftermarket stocks with aftermarket threaded bull barrel; some of which had aftermarket triggers. They all performed very well and I really liked how they looked with all the bells and whistles. With todayís guns, looks is as important as performance. The only thing I disliked was the box magazines. Regardless, I started shopping for a Ruger 10/22. Let me first say that a bare stock 10/22 is outright ugly. Without all the new furniture, this thing looks like an air rifle from the 1980ís. So lets price is out; $250.00 for a bare 10/22; about $150.00 for a decent wood stock, about $200.00 for a nice threaded bull barrel, about $100.00 for a drop in trigger. Without a scope and bipod, weíre already at $700.00.

Then I saw a Savage 64 TRR-SR and instantly fell in love. It retails for $300.00 and it already has a very nice tactical stock and a threaded bull barrel. It even comes with a rail on top of the action for a scope mount. Take a look and youíll see. Picture has old scope. Iíll be sure to attach updated pictures with new scope soon. All I had to do is add a nice rifle scope, scope mount, muzzle brake, bipod, and extra magazines; all for about $250.00. So for about $550.00, I have a nice, tricked out, tactical looking, 22LR rifle.

Let me get to performance. Make sure you buy round nose ammo or full jacketed; anything but hollow points. This thing hates hollow point ammo and will jam. With the right ammo, the savage performs at 2 inch groupings at 75 yards and about 3 inch groups at 100 yards. It is a lot of fun to shoot and it wonít break your wallet on bullets.

Iím curious to hear from other Savage 64 TRR-SR owners and what they think.

Ogre8472
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Congrats on the great rifle. I dont have a 64TRR-SR but i do love my 64FXP! :cool: Any thing yours doesnt like to eat yet? So far most ive shot do okay even the bulk winchester stuff

testarija@yahoo.com
03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks. The bulk winchester hollow points are the ones that jam. I've watched some youtube videos the say same thing about NOT using hollow points. I recently bought a browning buckmark camper and hope that it likes the hollow points or else i'll give them away at my next range visit.... The CCI Blazer's Bulk box works best. I went through a whole 525 box and not one jam or dud...

Ogre8472
03-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Nice to know. Im using the M-22 in mine. So far its okay. It was just a quick shot test. My buckmark loves the winchester hp not the copper coated hp. Im lucky in that reguard. Its eaten most rounds ive given it thus far with onlu a few jams. Mostly on my part. I didnt insert the mag all the way. Lol

sjg1966
04-14-2012, 4:28 AM
I was wondering what muzzle break is on the end of you 64 TRSR. That is very nice looking and I was actually wondering if you can get one here since it has the threaded barrel. Guess I just figured that part out!

Steve

railroader
04-14-2012, 6:48 AM
My question is do california dealers stock this rifle. I just ask because with tax and ffl fees the price jumps up quite a bit on a 22lr rifle ordered online. Cool looking rifle though.

NOTABIKER
04-14-2012, 8:00 AM
i love my savage mark 2

Excaliburr
04-14-2012, 5:13 PM
It is all about what you like I guess. We all have opinions. I like Ruger 10/22 with Boyds stocks like the Rimfire thumbhole. You may like that plastic. You can buy a ruger 10/22 synthetic for $209 + stock from boyds at $99 and do the auto bolt + trigger job yourself without the additional $. My friends and I have done hundreds. Those are the main changes that make a huge difference IMO. Most of us don't mind flush magazines like the Ruger and fact is most of us have other mags or we use adaptors to have one on top of the other, so after 10 rounds we drop and turn it over for 10 more. Does the Savage mag fall right out at the touch of a lever?

sjg1966
04-15-2012, 12:35 AM
My question is do california dealers stock this rifle. I just ask because with tax and ffl fees the price jumps up quite a bit on a 22lr rifle ordered online. Cool looking rifle though.

I inquired when I was at Amercian Shooting Center here in San Diego today...they could order one $299 plus DROS and sales tax. I checked online some and they were slightly less, but with the FFL transfer fee plus the sales tax, then not such a good deal, as far as i could find.