PDA

View Full Version : EU aims to criminalise Holocaust denial

chiefcrash
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/122134be-ed14-11db-9520-000b5df10621.html <- link to article

Basically, if the EU gets it's way, you could face up to 3 years in jail for expressing your opinion that the Holocaust didn't happen...

If you say the Holocaust didn't happen, i will think you're the biggest idiot on the planet. But i still think you have a right to say it...

And people claim the 2nd Amendment is out of dat...

megavolt121
04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
What a load of Crap. Let people believe what they want to, no matter how twisted and stupid it is. Let them try to convince others. Usually its just funny to hear them arguing with themselves!

CalNRA
04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
when in doubt, ban it.

I'm sure the law will be practiced with vigour in Mosques around Europe

leelaw
04-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Holy crap, the EU is actually admitting that it existed?

I guess Germany hasn't gotten their way, yet..

It's sill to ban the denial of something, even though it immediately paints you as a friggen idiot if you do.

wilit
04-18-2007, 5:21 PM
It's already illegal in most EU countries, though I don't think the fines are that great.

pewpewguns
04-18-2007, 5:23 PM
One of the most ridiculous pieces of potential law I've ever heard of..

grammaton76
04-18-2007, 5:38 PM
Eh, there's too much emotion and sentiment around both sides of the issues.

There's certainly specific things that went on, and it certainly did happen.

However, I think it may perhaps have been exaggerated. Unfortunately, the "it happened the way the movies said it did and nothing could possibly be different!" sentiments that surround the event hamper any serious historical study of things. And of course, now we have this "denial is a crime" law which would probably even impede any attempt to make a serious, scientific inquiry into exactly what did go on.

For instance, there's some claims that the infamous ovens were actually too small to have marched the stated numbers into, and that the rooms in question weren't actually ovens to begin with.

Other well documented things, such as execution lines and tying folks together so that the corpse of one will drown the other in the river... those are entirely within reason.

tetris
04-18-2007, 7:37 PM
Maybe its not their fault? Maybe they just lived in a crappy area and had a horrible history teacher who never taught them about WWII and the Holocaust. Or maybe they refuse to believe anything they have not seen their self, like the flat earth society, and are just saving up enough money for a ticket to Germany.

A lot of people in this country seem every bit as convinced that Jesus was the son of God as they do that the Holocaust occured, so if the US was to follow the EU's lead, then we should make blasphemy a crime.

EricCartmann
04-18-2007, 7:46 PM
i have to say, what hollywood say about the holocaust is almost 100% true. jews were put in the oven, jews were persecuted because they were successful and everyone is a hater. haters are the ones that believe if i can't be more successful or better than someone naturally i am going to persecute him.

i myself think it is a crime to deny the holocaust ever happened. you guys believe what you want, I will not try to persuade anyone anything, i believe what i believe.

i see the same thing with illegal immigrants today. you guys hate on them because you are all a bunch of lazy asses and don't like it when a hard worker out do you. yes there are some bad illegals, but for the most part they are rare. most of them are just trying to get by in life. they make the country better, while you whiners just sit back and complain how illegals work 3 jobs at $2 an hour... how can i compete with that? everyone wants to make $20 an hour for doing jacckk s***

grammaton76
04-18-2007, 7:48 PM
If I may inject a moment of levity: I find it hilarious to see EricCartman (perpetual antagonist to Kyle) making that post... :D

EricCartmann
04-18-2007, 8:09 PM
If I may inject a moment of levity: I find it hilarious to see EricCartman (perpetual antagonist to Kyle) making that post... :D

hhahaha that is funny.

Kruzr
04-18-2007, 8:41 PM
For instance, there's some claims that the infamous ovens were actually too small to have marched the stated numbers into, and that the rooms in question weren't actually ovens to begin with
What U.S. GI's found at Buchenwald.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com/5825739.jpg
http://www.thirdreichruins.com/5825741.jpg