PDA

View Full Version : Youtube video recommendation to field strip Ruger 10/22?

orthopod
03-29-2012, 2:18 PM
I know there are a lot out there but was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good youtube video to help me field strip/clean/lube my 10/22 when I get it next week. I know shotguns are super easy anyway but a youtube video made the process go very smoothly when I picked up my Mossberg 930 a few weeks back and was hoping for something similar for the Ruger 10/22. My plan is to pick it up, immediately remove the wood stock to place on eBay, give it a good cleaning with mpro7, a lube with CLP, put it back together with a Hogue OverMold stock, and then go make a dent in all the .22LR bricks that I have been buying during the DROS wait period:)

bigcalidave
03-29-2012, 2:50 PM
No..... Remove stock screw, remove big pins, hold charging handle back and remove bolt.

They don't even need much cleaning. I'd recommend you learn how to take every last bit of it apart though, they are simple to work on.

jbush
03-29-2012, 4:06 PM
Remove stock. Remove two pins holding the trigger group. Remove the large buffer pin at the rear of the upper receiver, pull back charging handle to remove the bolt. Very very very ez. Once you remove the stock, the 3 pins will become obvious. Don't know that you'd need a video

JNunez23
03-29-2012, 9:28 PM
This one seems decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk4Dx4xx6wM

Good luck..

orthopod
03-29-2012, 9:58 PM
Thanks for the tip guys. Will be doing this next week when I pick it up to give it its first clean and lube before shooting a bunch of different ammo that I've bought to try out (CCI blazer, winchester hollow points, federal bulk from wally world, CCI mini mags).

sholling
03-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Take the receiver out once and clean and lube it just so that you know how it works but then avoid doing it any more often than you have to. You could easily go 10,000 rounds without hurting the receiver. Just wipe what you can reach and lightly lube. Every time you remove the receiver you change point of impact slightly, it's just the way they were designed. Don't get me wrong I keep my centerfire handguns and rifles spotless but it's counter productive to get anal about cleaning 22s - and I have some high-buck 22s.

orthopod
03-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Take the receiver out once and clean and lube it just so that you know how it works but then avoid doing it any more often than you have to. You could easily go 10,000 rounds without hurting the receiver. Just wipe what you can reach and lightly lube. Every time you remove the receiver you change point of impact slightly, it's just the way they were designed. Don't get me wrong I keep my centerfire handguns and rifles spotless but it's counter productive to get anal about cleaning 22s - and I have some high-buck 22s.

Will do. So when I get it I'm going to clean it up with the mpro7 cleaner and lube it up with CLP. I'll probably use my microfiber cloth, qtips, polymer picks,and Otis receiver brushes to clean out what I can reach so I don't have to remove the receiver...maybe take it out every 5,000 rounds?. I'll do the dry boresnake before and after shooting. About every how many rounds would you do the brush and patches w/ mpro7 and CLP? 1,000?

sholling
03-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Will do. So when I get it I'm going to clean it up with the mpro7 cleaner and lube it up with CLP. I'll probably use my microfiber cloth, qtips, polymer picks,and Otis receiver brushes to clean out what I can reach so I don't have to remove the receiver...maybe take it out every 5,000 rounds?. I'll do the dry boresnake before and after shooting. About every how many rounds would you do the brush and patches w/ mpro7 and CLP? 1,000?
There is no right answer about how often - better to give you the reasons why and why not as I have above and let you decide what you're comfortable with. The nice thing about a 10/22 is as long as you don't damage the crown of the barrel (the muzzle) cleaning it, or drive over it, it's almost indestructible and anything you do damage you can replace yourself. It's the perfect rifle for learning the concepts.

deviljon
03-30-2012, 7:10 AM
I'll post a link to a 3 part YT video that was very helpful for me when I get back home. Stumbled upon it when I was trying to do the auto bolt release mod and removed all the pins. EVERYTHING came out and I freaked the fawk out. Thank goodness for YouTube!

orthopod
03-30-2012, 7:52 AM
There is no right answer about how often - better to give you the reasons why and why not as I have above and let you decide what you're comfortable with. The nice thing about a 10/22 is as long as you don't damage the crown of the barrel (the muzzle) cleaning it, or drive over it, it's almost indestructible and anything you do damage you can replace yourself. It's the perfect rifle for learning the concepts.

Common ways to damage the crown?...just so I can avoid them:)