PDA

View Full Version : Los Altos vs Sunnyvale for Clays

orthopod
03-29-2012, 2:12 PM
I am a new shotgun owner and had a blast shooting clays at the norcal skeet clinic two weeks ago. I am hoping to go shoot again this Sunday and Sunnyvale is ~20 min from me and Los Altos ~40 min. Any differences between the two places in terms of clay shooting? I've only shot clays at the skeet clinic before so beginner friendly is a plus:)!

wash
03-29-2012, 2:59 PM
Los Altos is manual traps, Sunnyvale is electronic with a noise limit and you pay per round.

I've heard Sunnyvale is selective in enforcing the noise limit but once they turned me away for having a 22" barrel instead of 26".

Los Altos has never turned me away but the speed limit Nazis can be annoying. They yell at me when I'm not going fast enough to get my speedometer needle off of the 0mph peg.

orthopod
03-29-2012, 3:11 PM
How much per round at Sunnyvale? Do I buy clays at Sunnyvale and Los altos or being wal Mart clays? If I end up going by myself as a beginner can I jump in with a group at both?

Thefeeder
03-29-2012, 3:24 PM
Los altos is informal clays. Traps are manual, you cock them, put a clays on them and then release. I don't remember if one person is allowed to pull the trap and shoot. May need a second person.

Sunnyvale has a Trap range only

Coyote Valley Sporting Clays has Skeet range, Trap range, 5 Stand range and Sporting Clays.

You may want to spend the day at Coyote and ckeck out all the different games. Maybe try one that looks fun.

http://www.coyoteclays.com/

prc77
03-29-2012, 3:26 PM
Don't forget Metcalf, Los Altos only has 1 trap range,no skeet, but they do have about 12 throwers you operate yourself, and you will need to buy clays for those. $14 shoot all day.

orthopod
03-29-2012, 3:35 PM
Thanks Lou! Beyond wally world federal game/target shells 100 packs what is the most economical way to get the clays? Buy at the range or bring the Wally world pack of 90 clays?

bender152
03-29-2012, 3:38 PM
If you're going with a few people, Los Altos is nice because it's informal. You can bust a few clays, pause and talk, then continue shooting. Also, you can shoot alone here. You would just have to launch the clays yourself.

If you prefer a more "proper" round of trap, Sunnyvale is better.

Cost:
Sunnyvale: $5 per session (no admission fee)
Los Altos: $15 admission to the entire range, clays are extra (or you can bring your own)

wash
03-29-2012, 3:46 PM
Los Altos wants you to shoot bio-degradable clays so buy the right stuff if you want to pay less than what they charge at the entrance shack.

Thefeeder
03-29-2012, 3:49 PM
Thanks Lou! Beyond wally world federal game/target shells 100 packs what is the most economical way to get the clays? Buy at the range or bring the Wally world pack of 90 clays?

Buy the clays at Los Altos....they are picky as to which ones they allow. Just bring your shells and buy a case of clays at the range.

All other places ,the cost of the round includes the clays, a round of Skeet or Trap is 25 shots

Sporting clays you can shoot as much or little as you want.....the clays are counted on a counter and you pay for what you use. If want to shoot all the stations, a complete course is 100 shots and cost is in the $45.00 range

orthopod
03-29-2012, 3:57 PM
Sounds like some informal shooting at Los altos is in order for me then. When I start busting more clays I'll have to try a proper round of trap at Sunnyvale. Any Los Altos shooters have a cheap allowed-biodegradable clay buy recommendation in between the palo alto area and the rod and gun club? If not I will be purchasing at Los altos this weekend.

bender152
03-29-2012, 3:58 PM
A case of clays is less than $20 at Los Altos.

Thefeeder
03-29-2012, 4:09 PM
Sounds like some informal shooting at Los altos is in order for me then. When I start busting more clays I'll have to try a proper round of trap at Sunnyvale. Any Los Altos shooters have a cheap allowed-biodegradable clay buy recommendation in between the palo alto area and the rod and gun club? If not I will be purchasing at Los altos this weekend.

When you place the clay on the trap....place them at different locations (top, mis and bottom) for different presentations.....also break the centers out on some before you throw them...those will get interesting

prc77
03-29-2012, 4:31 PM
when ya going

aGunForEachHand
03-29-2012, 4:37 PM
Los altos is informal clays. Traps are manual, you cock them, put a clays on them and then release. I don't remember if one person is allowed to pull the trap and shoot. May need a second person.

Sunnyvale has a Trap range only

Coyote Valley Sporting Clays has Skeet range, Trap range, 5 Stand range and Sporting Clays.

You may want to spend the day at Coyote and ckeck out all the different games. Maybe try one that looks fun.

http://www.coyoteclays.com/

^this...the best clays in the bay area. Once you shoot a round of sporting clays, you will probably never shoot trap again. (if you like trap, however, they have that too)

son_of_a_gunny
03-29-2012, 5:38 PM
Walmart sells the same clays as Los Altos (just a smaller box).
I will not buy clays from Walmart.
Did it once, and too many of them were broken.
Like the box had been dropped in the store?
Just not worth the risk.
I (and my auto-loader) like low cost Walmart Fedral 12 gauge ammo.:)

wjc
03-29-2012, 6:16 PM
Los Altos will allow you to shoot if you're a single, i.e. no one to operate the manual trap. they have an electronic trap station but I've never used it.

You have to use biodegradable clays (White Flyer) that you can buy there. I have brought my own in the past but that was a while ago. Its easier for me to just buy theirs. The manual traps have been pretty much unchanged for the last 20+ years.

Sunnyvale has a newer skeet/trap field that's a really nicely set up. I've never shot there so i can't advise on price or rules.

otteray
03-29-2012, 6:25 PM
As I remember it, with the manual traps at Los Altos the shotgunner is pretty much limited to standing in one shooters box per trap, only hitting clays that are going straight away, no crossing shots or shots that aren't pointed 10:00 to 2:00 out over the canyon, like this:
.....V.....
I do think they have one electronic Trap Shooting Course layout, too.

Coyote Valley has a couple of nice practice courses that are fairly easy and much more varied.
No speed Nazis there, either; since if the potholes in the road don't slow you down, the cows in the road will. :)

ysr_racer
03-29-2012, 7:39 PM
^this...the best clays in the bay area. Once you shoot a round of sporting clays, you will probably never shoot trap again. (if you like trap, however, they have that too)

Yep, trap and skeet is pretty much the same no matter where you shoot it, but Coyote Valley has a GREAT sporting clays course.

Here's my review: http://www.ysr-racer.com/west/coyote.html

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL856/883856/4373588/68037067.jpg

orthopod
03-29-2012, 9:52 PM
when ya going

I am planning on making it out on Sunday afternoon. Possibly Saturday depending on the weather. I have only shot at the skeet clinic before but had a blast and would like to keep working on my clay shots. Saw your a member of GSSF (I just received my coupon which I am planning on using on a G34), USPSA and Richmond. Would love to meet up with you sometime to find out more about competition shooting as I'm interested as shooting moving targets (clays) and moving and shooting just seems like a lot of fun and something I would like to get into.

orthopod
03-29-2012, 9:54 PM
Brad,

Coyote Valley looks like a ton of fun. I will have to make time to head out there soon. Thanks for the review!

prc77
03-30-2012, 3:57 AM
I am planning on making it out on Sunday afternoon. Possibly Saturday depending on the weather. I have only shot at the skeet clinic before but had a blast and would like to keep working on my clay shots. Saw your a member of GSSF (I just received my coupon which I am planning on using on a G34), USPSA and Richmond. Would love to meet up with you sometime to find out more about competition shooting as I'm interested as shooting moving targets (clays) and moving and shooting just seems like a lot of fun and something I would like to get into.

I will be at Richmond, Sunday shooting a match. Come on out for awhile and check it out. Rain or shine. Have fun busting clays

BigDogatPlay
03-30-2012, 5:58 AM
I will be at Richmond, Sunday shooting a match. Come on out for awhile and check it out. Rain or shine. Have fun busting clays

Just remember that Richmond is steel shot only on the trap field.

orthopod
03-30-2012, 9:14 AM
Is there any kind of action style shooting I could do at Richmond with a 10/22 and a mossberg 930 spx? Once I take the required safety classes of course.

goldduster
03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Coyote valley is super for SC, but I prefer Metcalf (SJ) for Skeet and Trap. Also, Metcalf sells ammo at similar price as Walmart. They have pullers and are super nice. They also have leagues on Mon, Tues and Wed eve. I too, attended Lou's clinic and now am really enjoying it.

prc77
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Is there any kind of action style shooting I could do at Richmond with a 10/22 and a mossberg 930 spx? Once I take the required safety classes of course.

Funny you should ask.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Special-Operations-Equipment/372313363858#!/CalActionSgChallenge

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/

NO STEEL SHOT IN THE ACTION BAYS:)

stangmar
03-30-2012, 2:10 PM
Do I have to pay the $12 if I only go to shoot trap?

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. I'll go check it out.

I think Los Altos is better in terms of price if you shoot more than 150 clay birds. I'm coming from SF, so they are about equal distance. But for Los Altos, it costs $15 for the range, and $15 for 150 clay birds= $30.

Sunnyvale is $30 for 150 clay birds.

goldduster
03-30-2012, 2:24 PM
Hi Stangmar,

If you are asking about Metcalf, there is no entrance fee for Trap/Skeet, it is $7.00/round of 25 for either and they supply the clays and someone to pull for you. You supply ammo, shotgun and shooter:83:.

otteray
03-30-2012, 2:43 PM
Do I have to pay the $12 if I only go to shoot trap?

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. I'll go check it out.

I think Los Altos is better in terms of price if you shoot more than 150 clay birds. I'm coming from SF, so they are about equal distance. But for Los Altos, it costs $15 for the range, and $15 for 150 clay birds= $30.

Sunnyvale is $30 for 150 clay birds.

Forecast is for wind and rain. The gusty winds should really make those clays bob and weave!
You ever been in a windy rainstorm up on the Santa Cruz Mountain Summit area?
Along with the shotgun, bring your rain gear and a chainsaw. ;)

Kendoka
03-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Trap shooting at Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club (and most likely anywhere else in the Bay Area) was a very wet and windy adventure today until about 2:30 when there was finally a bit of a break in the weather. But then you would have had a trap field almost to yourself since so few folks were hardy enough to brave the elements.

The rifle and pistol range was quite a bit busier, but still not as much so as a typical Saturday. Even though most of the lanes were taken much of the day, no one who showed up had to wait at all.

To clarify prices at Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club, the Rifle and Pistol range fee is $12 per day. A round of trap is $5. There is no additional entrance or other fee to shoot trap. Simply $5 per round (By the way, the cheapest public trap fee for an ATA sanctioned trap field in the Greater Bay Area.) There are 5 trap fields at Sunnyvale, and on most public shooting days, at least 2 of the fields are taken up by public shooters. On some busier days, 3 fields are in use.

If anyone has any further questions about Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club, please let me know. I am a long time member, Rangemaster, and Board Member. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. If I can clarify anything, please ask.

RAFA
03-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Brad,

Coyote Valley looks like a ton of fun. I will have to make time to head out there soon. Thanks for the review!

+1 for Coyote Valley! I live 5 miles from there and its been a pleasure every time. Have fun shooting!

Kendoka
03-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Sporting Clays is great at Coyote Valley. Two challenging Sporting Clays courses. I really like the Mountain Course. Keep an eye on your target counter. It can get pricey at 40 to 44 cents per target.

Thefeeder
04-01-2012, 4:38 PM

Did ya make it out and break some clays?

someguy
04-01-2012, 7:31 PM
I personally think you will like Sunnyvale for trap shooting more. Sunnyvale you will probably spend more money but it will be way more fun.
Los Altos has a really cool range, the trap range is boring after awhile. It may work for you since you are a beginner.
I am a member at both clubs:)

When you get good go to Coyote Valley, it is the sh_t!! Way better than both places

Have fun!!

Kendoka
04-02-2012, 7:50 AM
Personally, I would hesitate to say that any of the three ranges (Los Altos, Sunnyvale, Coyote Valley) are "better" than the others. Which you want to pick will depend on what you are interested in. And maybe how much you want to spend. All three (as well as other SF Bay ranges) are great assets to the local shooting community. Despite the constant threat of anti-gun laws and negative sentiment about shooting, we enjoy a lot of good shooting resources in the Bay Area.