PDA

View Full Version : Butler Creek Hot Lips and Steel Lips .22 loaders

the governor
03-29-2012, 9:12 AM
Every time I'm at the range painstakingly loading .22lr mag after mag, I wonder why I haven't bought the Butler Creek loader.
I've watched a few YouTube video about them but haven't talked to anyone that's actually owns one.
Who has them and who like them?

facn650
03-29-2012, 9:46 AM
Does it actually work on the 10 round mags?

Tactical_Packaging
03-29-2012, 9:51 AM
They work great. You just have to make sure the Butler Creek magazine is properly seated into the loader; if not, that's when you will run into problems.

They work great on the 10 round Butler Creek magazines too. The small factory Ruger magazines work too, but it's a little harder to hold in place because there isn't the additional surface area to hold on to.

You will definitely go through a brick of ammo faster because you save time loading.

bohoki
03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
they take a bit of skill to use in the shaking of the rounds into the track and the lid wants to keep falling off also sometimes one will sit in the track sideways at the exit and you have to wiggle it out also every time i fill a mag the loader often leaves one at the pusher loose so i have to drop it out before inserting a new magazine

but it is a time and thumb saver

The_Tinman
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I couldn't imagine taking out my 10/22 without it. Work's great with both my standard capacity and my california standard capacity mags. The Ruger mags fit tight in mine and if you pay attention to the position of the pusher you won't have a round turn sideways at the loading gate. It does take some practice to keep the track full. After a couple of bricks, you'll be a pro. When my uncle and I go shooting, we usually have a brick already loaded and often don't have to reload our mags. Depends on what we bring usually.

That said, I can't stand the 22 single stack pistol autoloader. Unklebang likes it, but I just use the foot of my 22/45 mags to compress the spring.

htfan
03-30-2012, 1:24 PM
This loader is a great product! Saves time and fingers!

However, take note concerning the "bit of skill" comment. It does take some practice to use this smoothly.

I've loaned it to people at the range to try... and some... just never seem to get the hang of it.

r1ghtw1ng
03-30-2012, 3:58 PM
I wouldn't shoot my 10/22 without the BC hot lips loader.

I go to the range to shoot, not load.

Ron-Solo
03-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Mine works great with factory mags (both 10 rd and the BX25) as well as the Butler Creek steel or hot lips magazines. My ancient RamLine mags from the 80's don't seem to like it as much, but that my be the mags. They are old and don't work well anymore.

Ricky-Ray
03-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Butler creek loader and 10/22 go hand in hand. Takes a little getting use to but once you have it, you'll begin to wonder why it took you so long to get it.

RaceDay
03-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Own it, like it.

It works well with the mags I have tried which is Butler Creek, Eagle, and Ruger. It is not the most precise design. Like people say, it takes a bit of practice and finessing to get it to work well but it is sooooooooo much better than handloading mags. And it seems to work with any brand; don't be a sap and buy a bunch of Butler Creeks mags like I did because the ad says it only works with BC mags.

@Tinman, I think the 22 single stack pistol loader (Ultimate Cliploader) is awesome. That one is a little bit mag dependent but I've got 3 mags that I can fill in about 2-3 sec each. If yours is not working, try lubing the bottom where the rounds drop into the mag.