PDA

View Full Version : K31 vs K98?

Capybara
03-28-2012, 2:37 PM
Reading all of the K31 threads on the C&R board here, you guys have me thinking that would be a rifle that I would enjoy and really appreciate the accuracy and craftsmanship. The low cost ammo available as well is very appealing to me.

But I have always liked Mausers as well, which I understand good ones are getting hard to find. I have a CZ527 Varmint and I love the mini-Mauser action so I know I would like a K98. I have a CMP Garand coming in the next few months so that will be my first C&R gun.

I know all of you are going to say, "buy both" and I probably will but between a K31 and a K98, which one is the better deal, more fun to shoot and more interesting to you and why? When you buy a rifle these days, you can't think, "Oh, that rifle is $300.00". You really have to think, "Oh, that rifle is $300.00 and it will be another $300.00 for a decent amount of ammo."

Recommendations for the C&R newbie?

Bhobbs
03-28-2012, 2:48 PM
You can't go wrong with either but in my opinion 8mm Mauser ammo is a little easier to find than 7.5x55 Swiss. I had a K31 and I just never liked it much but may buy another one in the future.

sactobill
03-28-2012, 2:52 PM
I'm a newbie as well and I don't have any experience with the K98 but I took my K31 to my first silhouette match a couple of weeks ago. I was shooting Privi factory ammo. Let me say that I am by no means a good shot but the K31 is one accurate rifle. My first bank were turkeys at 385 meters. Ummmm... I've never shot at anything that far before. With the help of my spotter (thanks Ford!), I hit 7 out of 10 turkeys. Of course after that I sucked but boy what a rush!

Get a K31! Soft recoil, beautiful rifle, accurate as heck.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bill

dogfood
03-28-2012, 2:52 PM
I would imagine that K98s are going to be floating around for a while longer that the k31s.
I have had both and the K31 was very nice no complaints at all. It depends on what you're looking for in a rifle. If you're looking more for a piece of history than get a K98k, if you want the finer firearm go for the K31

filric48
03-28-2012, 3:45 PM
I have two Mauser's and a k31 go with the k31 and reload ammo. The k31 is a well made and very accurate. I just picked up a Portuguese Mauser have not fired it yet 04/39.

OldShooter32
03-28-2012, 3:45 PM
I am at heart a gas-gun man, but do admit the K31 is fun to shoot. Ammo is pricey (what isn't?) but is all match-grade. The low cost (relatively) for an accurate rifle makes up for it to a degree.

7.62x63mmUS
03-28-2012, 3:53 PM
Can't beat a Yugo M24/47 Mauser for the current price of around $200. K98's definitely have the allure of history and are great rifles but being an owner of both if you just wanted a Mauser and didn't give a crap about history go with the Yugo. I've handled and fired relatives/friends K31's. They are good rifles but seem a little more complex than the Mausers. Despite their straight pull and edge in accuracy I think the Mauser is a better weapon and probably more durable. I'd definitely buy a K31 if funds permitted though.

DasBoost
03-28-2012, 3:54 PM
You can't go wrong with either but in my opinion 8mm Mauser ammo is a little easier to find than 7.5x55 Swiss. I had a K31 and I just never liked it much but may buy another one in the future.

My worry after buying my K31 was finding ammo but a lot of vendors carry the milsurp GP11 and PPU makes both the Prvi and Wolf Gold 7.5x55. Prices are fairly reasonable and there's a decent enough amount of reload data out there to roll your own. :)

I'm a newbie as well and I don't have any experience with the K98 but I took my K31 to my first silhouette match a couple of weeks ago. I was shooting Privi factory ammo. Let me say that I am by no means a good shot but the K31 is one accurate rifle. My first bank were turkeys at 385 meters. Ummmm... I've never shot at anything that far before. With the help of my spotter (thanks Ford!), I hit 7 out of 10 turkeys. Of course after that I sucked but boy what a rush!

Get a K31! Soft recoil, beautiful rifle, accurate as heck.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bill

My K31 is faaaaar more accurate than I am. After shooting my K31, I have to shoot my Mini14 to keep me from getting cocky. Lol.:rolleyes::p

chickenfried
03-28-2012, 4:08 PM
more accurate, better trigger k31
more interesting from the collector side of things K98. But then again a k31 might have a tag with the info of the soldier that last used the rifle. So...

Latigo
03-28-2012, 4:28 PM
:D ............

Capybara
03-28-2012, 5:00 PM
I know what that smiley means Latigo. It's all your fault.

Gotta get the Garand first but both the K31 and the K98 intrigue me. They both seem like they would be really fun shooters.

1-M-42
03-28-2012, 5:14 PM
K31, hands down. I discovered them late but I'm making up for it now. I have three K31s and a M1911. They are all scary accurate. Ammo is not that expensive and GP-11 is truly match grade. Reloading components are easy to find. The soldier tag under the butt plate is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Three of my four rifles have them and the chance to connect with a previous owner/soldier is priceless.

Rhythm of Life
03-28-2012, 5:17 PM
Let my post rephrase everyone else:

You want history, k98
You want accuracy: k31

I hope to acquire both yet the k98 is the one that take precedent.

1-M-42
03-28-2012, 5:44 PM
Let my post rephrase everyone else:

You want history, k98
You want accuracy: k31

I hope to acquire both yet the k98 is the one that take precedent.

I agree but, don't discount the history of the Swiss rifles. When I got hooked on them I started reading about the Swiss Citizen Soldiers, the defense of the country during WWII and the development of the rifle. I was amazed. Yes, the Mauser was certainly used by more countries and in more battles but the Swiss rifles is no historical slouch either.

You hit the nail on the head though....get both!

pro-nra
03-28-2012, 5:46 PM
IMO if you must have a Mauser and accuracy to rival that of a K31, get a Swedish M96 then you get the best of both worlds. Very well made and on par with the K31.

At our local matches K31s and M96 are always in the top three high scores. Although I own several K31s along with couple of 1911s and a K11, I only shoot US rifles in our matches (1903, 03-A3, 1917 & Garand).

Good luck with your search.

1-M-42
03-28-2012, 5:56 PM
IMO if you must have a Mauser and accuracy to rival that of a K31, get a Swedish M96 then you get the best of both worlds. Very well made and on par with the K31.

At our local matches K31s and M96 are always in the top three high scores. Although I own several K31s along with couple of 1911s and a K11, I only shoot US rifles in our matches (1903, 03-A3, 1917 & Garand).

Good luck with your search.

Fibber....I've seen you shoot your K31....not very well, of course, but I've seen you shoot it....:tt2:

Latigo
03-28-2012, 6:01 PM
:D ....

Cessnapilot89
03-28-2012, 6:44 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, the K31 is the better rifle.

Rhythm of Life
03-28-2012, 6:49 PM
I agree but, don't discount the history of the Swiss rifles. When I got hooked on them I started reading about the Swiss Citizen Soldiers, the defense of the country during WWII and the development of the rifle. I was amazed. Yes, the Mauser was certainly used by more countries and in more battles but the Swiss rifles is no historical slouch either.

You hit the nail on the head though....get both!

I was unaware!

Thats cool!

Capybara
03-28-2012, 6:54 PM
Okay, the people have spoken. I will start looking at K31s. Seems as if Simpsons Ltd has a truly amazing selection but those rows and rows of K31 specs are a bit mind blowing if you don't know the finer points. Do I want an original Walnut stock or is a Birch armory replacement okay? I am buying a shooter, not a collector so how much % of blue, etc. what else matters? Any things to look our for or avoid on my K31? Can I get a sweet looking K31 with excellent mechanical condition and decent cosmetics for $300.00?

Has anyone shot the Classic Arms surplus ammo? it looks like a good deal at .65 a round. I know, reload, reload but since I have never reloaded and will have to make a sizable investment in supplies and gear as well as time, I am not there yet so I have to buy some affordable ammo. Same with my Garand, I know I need to reload.

Thanks for the tips guys.

1-M-42
03-28-2012, 7:10 PM
Aim Surplus and Dan's have the best GP-11 prices that I've found. Not sure of the correct title for Dan's, my shooting partner bought from them.

Latigo is the best person to go to for advice on details, read his posts in the Swiss Rifle Central sticky. I've got two walnut, one Beech. I think the walnut looks better and it was used, up until the supplies ran out in WWII I believe. Try to get a matching number, best condition you can, spend an extra $50 or so and get as much rifle as you can. You'll notice on Simpson's that all the bores are very good to excellent, that's the norm for Swiss rifles. Call them, see if they'll scout for one with a soldier tag, they are really cool. Go to Swissrifles.com and read. Go to the Swiss Rifle forum and read, even more good info, most from Latigo, his dad, another gentleman named Guisan and a bunch of other really knowledgeable guys.
As for reloading, scout for a simple single stage press and basic supplies. you'll be rolling your own for under $200.
Have fun, you are going to really enjoy shooting your Swiss rifle.

rojocorsa
03-28-2012, 7:17 PM
If we're going to compare the ratio of cost to accuracy, the Swiss Rifle wins.

And unless you pay top dollar for a 98k in good shape, the Swiss rifle will almost always be in better condition for a lower price point.

GP-11 surplus is like 50-ish cents. It may cost 20 more cents than Yugo 8mm, but it's not corrosive and is better made.

STAGE 2
03-28-2012, 7:21 PM
The K31 is a better rifle in every way. Much more accurate, much faster action, far better finished.

7.62x54R
03-28-2012, 7:26 PM
The low cost ammo available as well is very appealing to me.

Certainly not 7.5 swiss

1-M-42
03-28-2012, 7:34 PM
Certainly not 7.5 swiss

Compared to Soviet Bloc, corrosive, ammo, it is more expensive. However, by spending a bit more you get non-corrosive, match grade, military surplus ammo. Apples and oranges.

SKSer45
03-28-2012, 7:37 PM
Himm I would get the MauSwisser. They are both getting hard to find

rojocorsa
03-28-2012, 9:59 PM
Compared to Soviet Bloc, corrosive, ammo, it is more expensive. However, by spending a bit more you get non-corrosive, match grade, military surplus ammo. Apples and oranges.

Considering that everything else costs 80 cents or more, GP-11 is a good deal. Berdans are the only downside--but this costs the same a M-2 ball surplus and is more accurate.

What's not to like?

1-M-42
03-29-2012, 8:32 AM
Considering that everything else costs 80 cents or more, GP-11 is a good deal. Berdans are the only downside--but this costs the same a M-2 ball surplus and is more accurate.

What's not to like?

Exactly.......

Capybara
03-29-2012, 8:33 AM
For a newbie who hasn't shot Berdan primers or reloaded them, what is the deal? Are they hard to remove or ?

Latigo
03-29-2012, 9:14 AM
No, they're not difficulat to remove. I'll get a line on the tool for you.
As for which is a better choice, Walnut is a preferrable wood, however...... The latest k31's are Beech, so theoretically, if you have a choice, a newer k31 is most likely going to be beech, but research the serial number. That will tell you for sure.

Latigo
03-29-2012, 9:40 AM
Midway has them.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/reply/11770/RCBS-Berdan-Decapping-Tool#reply-11770

And..........

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/search/text/?q=removing+berdan+primers&orderby=created_at&forum=&submit=Search+Forum

Mutant
03-29-2012, 6:33 PM
The 8mm Mauser has more recoil, a noticable amount. If you shoot a lot, it is a factor. K31, not so much, and you can get a Latigo clamp on muzzle break to lessen that recoil - if you want. 50 or so shots at a steel match will show you the difference. Of course, if recoil doesn't bother you, nevermind.

rojocorsa
03-29-2012, 6:37 PM
The recoil feels pretty much the same to me...YMMV

golddredger
03-29-2012, 7:00 PM
Best place to buy K31 right now? Have FFL 03. Classic looks to be out of them. Scared to order from Samco for fear of delays with order. Any other ideas?

Capybara
03-29-2012, 7:09 PM
Have you checked out Simpsons? They have hundreds of them in stock, from thrashers to K31 snipers for up to $8,000.00. Amazing selection, I spent a couple of hours looking. They are the Costco of K31s.

golddredger
03-29-2012, 7:15 PM
Yes looking there now but cannot find anything on if they will ship to FFL 03? Do you guys know?

Update- I just found where it says they will sell to C&R holders so I will give them a call and get my info to them and see if I can pick one from the huge selection.

pro-nra
03-29-2012, 7:29 PM
Best place to buy K31 right now? Have FFL 03. Classic looks to be out of them. Scared to order from Samco for fear of delays with order. Any other ideas?

Simpson Ltd.

chickenfried
03-29-2012, 7:33 PM
Simpsons also has some cheaper k31's

Grade 1 - Very good or better condition with clean bore, straight pull bolt action, Cal. 7.5mm matching bolt and magazine, sling and muzzle cover included $250.00 + S&H

https://www.simpsonltd.com/specials.php

golddredger
03-29-2012, 7:37 PM
Simpsons also has some cheaper k31's

https://www.simpsonltd.com/specials.php

Thanks guys I think this is what I am going to go with. I will give them a shout tomorrow!

Capybara
03-29-2012, 7:57 PM
That Simpsons website really makes it easy to buy an $800.00 instead of a $300.00 one though. They are smart.

golddredger
03-29-2012, 8:12 PM
Half the fun for me is cleaning the rifles up. I like to get one in the rough then polish it up and make something of it. Then I am proud to take it out to the range. I really do not want one that is perfect to start. I am not dead set on leaving the guns in the condition they are. So I will chance the 250.00 special and then restore the stock and clean the bluing up myself. Should look like a great gun when done. I know what you mean though they do make those look darn nice on there site with the pics. They are professionals!

CSACANNONEER
03-29-2012, 8:42 PM
3 Mauser, 3 K31, 1 sporterized K11 and a sporterized 1889 here. Swiss rifles are definately more fun to shoot. Ammo costs are about the same for comparable ammo or reloading.

rojocorsa
03-29-2012, 9:24 PM
Half the fun for me is cleaning the rifles up. I like to get one in the rough then polish it up and make something of it. Then I am proud to take it out to the range. I really do not want one that is perfect to start. I am not dead set on leaving the guns in the condition they are. So I will chance the 250.00 special and then restore the stock and clean the bluing up myself. Should look like a great gun when done. I know what you mean though they do make those look darn nice on there site with the pics. They are professionals!

Not to toot my own horn (because I don't care either way) but that's pretty much what I did with my stock.

I paid $250 cash to a fellow calgunner and called it good.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=542916

Latigo
03-30-2012, 5:10 AM
I'm going to give you some inside information right from two horses' mouths.
Simpson's source for k31s has dried up. Our distributor in Europe told us that k31's are , for the first time in history, becoming scarce in Switzerland itself. Prices there are changing.
No scare tactics, no bs. It's a simple fact of supply. The very great majority of k31's are now in the US.

chickenfried
03-30-2012, 10:01 AM
thanks for the info. Two's enough, unless I can find one with a tiger striped stock. Should've bought a tiger way back when instead of fretting over a few dollars, now I'll really pay for it :rolleyes:

jasonnorcal
04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
I want a K31. I think the straight pull bolt is cool.

NaughtyMonkey
04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I own both and my vote would be the K-31, they seem to be harder to find as of lately. I see K98's for sale all the time, Big 5 just had some for sale not to long ago. (They still might) Most K98's are Russian Captures and total mix masters. The K-31's are almost always all match, super accurate rifles and the bolt design is just amazing, the feel of the K-31 is really nice. I have to say that surplus 8MM Mauser is a lot cheaper and easier to find. So in certain aspects its a tough choice.

Just look around and decide, of coarse if you get one know, you can get the other one later in life. :)

Good Luck.

DasBoost
04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
The K-31's are almost always all match, super accurate rifles and the bolt design is just amazing, the feel of the K-31 is really nice.

This^^. I remember buying a Radocy Takedown Guide and looking through while I waited for the 10days to pass to get my K31. I looked at it and read about it and thought at first "This almost seems fragile... :confused:" Then I got it and took it all apart and the bolt design and fit was amazing... I sat there and refit the parts and their fit/finish and function was like (no pun intended) a Swiss clock.

I showed it to my uncle, who was a machinist and metal worker for over 25 years and handed him the rifle and takedown guide and he did the same thing: took it down and looked at the bolt and refit pieces and was really impressed and said "It would have been interesting to see this design in combat; it was taken on exercises and in the field and clearly used (indicating the stock :43:) but to see how it held up would have been interesting. It sure as s**t isn't a Mosin!" I showed him some data on 7.5x55 and he thought it was a pretty cool round. Also very impressed with the SwissProducts offerings (I have the Muzzle Brake, Muzzle Damper, and Thread Protector) and looks forward to trying it out.