PDA

View Full Version : what are the "hoops" for single-shotting a single action revolver into CA?

Squid
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

I'm guess they would weld the other 5 cambers shut so it could only be loaded with one round at a time.

Then wait ten days.

Then give it to me.

What is charge for that, including me buying one off GunBroker and having it shipped, etc.

What happens? I buy from Gunbroker and have them ship to out of CA gun dealer/gunsmith who does the work then ships to CA FFL?

Or can a CA FFL receive the off list gun and do the work, then wait 10 days, etc?

robcoe
03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
There is also a single action exemption, you dont need to singe shot that gun, you can just have your FFL order it.

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a
single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity
with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets
any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or
relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of
Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at
least 71/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and
barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at
least 71/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and
barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for
importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions
of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18
of the United States Code.

DVSmith
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Isn't it exempt?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=133983

Chaos47
03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Single-action Revolver exemption
Single-action Revolvers, capable of holding 5 or more rounds, with 3” minimum barrel length and 7.5”
minimum overall length when assembled.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=441766

ckprax
03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
It is a single action revolver with a greater than 3" barrel. I do not recall what the overall length must be but it will not be an issue. That particular revolver is roster exempt, so importation is not an issue.

Ruger is backed up right now so availability might be an issue.

Squid
03-28-2012, 12:36 PM
website for those guns and "no" on others for CA.

I thought it was just sloppy, or "in progress" or something.

Oceanbob
03-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Looks like a great single action Squid..

Since single actions (that fit the specs) are exempt you can just go ahead and order it sent to your FFL. Talk the your FFL first.

Have you ever thought of a Vaquaro..?...I've seen some of those used in Cowboy action shooting.

I recently ordered this single action from another FFL in Arizona..it arrived, did the DROS and I took her home.

Love them Rugers......:)

My Talo .22 (and .22 magnum cylinder)

http://i52.tinypic.com/i50t2r.jpg

sneather
03-28-2012, 4:39 PM
Ruger's website actually states that ALL of their single action pistols qualify for CA "Exempt" status.

Purchase away...

1JimMarch
03-28-2012, 7:28 PM
Oceanbob's gun *might* not make the necessary 7.5" overall length measured parallel to the barrel. All other Ruger SA variants do.

Quiet
03-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank the cowboy action shooters for the single-action revolver exemption.

If it wasn't for their support in getting the unsafe handguns bill made into law, that exemption would not exist.

sneather
03-29-2012, 6:43 AM
Oceanbob's gun *might* not make the necessary 7.5" overall length measured parallel to the barrel. All other Ruger SA variants do.

I can't comment on that gun, as I don't know whether it's a new model, or older. But from Ruger's site:

All currently manufactured Ruger single-action revolvers satisfy these criteria and therefore are exempt from the California requirements. These revolvers may be purchased in California even though they do not appear on the California Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale.

Swift Justice
03-29-2012, 9:30 AM
Everytime OceanBob posts a picture of that Ruger I want to run out and get one...