PDA

View Full Version : Making Cheap Mosin Stripper Clips Work Well

Josh Smith
03-28-2012, 6:32 AM
Hi Folks,

So many Chinese stripper clips are being sold today that it's hard to find the older ones that actually work well. Got to playing around with the design of the Chinese commercial version and came up with a way to make it work.

http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/cheap%20stripper%20clip%20fix%20still.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9pcWQ7J_Nw)
Opens new window.

I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Josh

ElvenSoul
03-28-2012, 6:36 AM
Nice!

golddredger
03-28-2012, 11:26 AM
I have bought a 10 pack of the cheap clips. They work great in 2 of my mosins but they get worse in the others and one Tula Hex they do not work at all. We have rounded the edges and tried numerous shapes and I have finally sorted the problem. It has a bunch to do with the ejector spring and the shape of the ejector where the bullet slides past it right at the edge where it kicks the shell out after a shot. If you look at it there is a small curve filed into the metal just behind the edge that catches the shell to eject. This curve is deep on the 2 mosins that work great and it is barley there on the ones that do not. The hex has only a slight curve in it the least of all the rifles and it is the one that does not work. Also I can see on the other side of the recieiver where the rim slides down the inside there is fine shaving of the brass from the shells. So I am polishing that side also along with filing the extractor with a deeper curve. Also one more thing The springs that hold the ejector plate in place are all different tensions. The springs in the better working guns are very light and the hex spring is bent and very very strong. making it hard to move the ejector plate back when you push the bullets down in. So I am going to bend the spring back to lighten the pressure so it is just enough to do its job but not so much that you cannot even push a shell in. I found this hex to be hard to even hand load and now I know why. I will do a full video for you guys also over this weekend. Catch you later!