PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Dog Advice

mdhpper
04-17-2007, 1:37 PM
I'm interested in purchasing a hunting dog for use on upland game hunts (mainly dove,quail, & phesant). I would like to know what kinds of dogs you upland game hunters use. So far I've been looking at German Short Hair Pointers and Field Bred Springer Spaniels. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

edwardm
04-17-2007, 1:44 PM
The shorthairs tend to be hyper, especially the males, until they die. The females can be more reasonable. For your mix, that's sort of an interesting decision. I prefer pointers for pheasant, but good flush dogs (like a lab) for quail and dove. For overall utility, I think you'd be best off with the shorty.

I'm interested in purchasing a hunting dog for use on upland game hunts (mainly dove,quail, & phesant). I would like to know what kinds of dogs you upland game hunters use. So far I've been looking at German Short Hair Pointers and Field Bred Springer Spaniels. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Sydwaiz
04-17-2007, 2:10 PM
GSP. Never met a GSP that wasn't a good dog. I have a female now that I rescued but she's not birdy. The male I had when growing up would lock on point 100yds from the bird. He could've been a champion hunter. We had offers to buy him almost everytime we went pheasant hunting at the club we belonged to. Other hunters would ask us to help find the rest of their birds that their dogs couldn't and sure as s--t, ol' Jake would hunt em up and find every last one! Damn I miss that dog. Brings a tear to my eye writing about him.

We had a Springer and a Britney too. The Springer was a good hunter but Springers can have a bad tempermant as well. That's just how it is. Springer also get lots of thorns in their coat so the GSP also wins in the maintenance dept. I told my wife, as long as we own a dog, it will always be a GSP. The best mannered dogs I've ever known.

You'll need two different dogs with the types of hunting you want to do. Check out Briney spaniels. They are supposed to be good all around hunters. I've seen alot of pheasant hunters use them as well as chukhar hunters. The one we had was stupid but then again, his name was Clyde and he had a goofy overbite.

mdhpper
04-24-2007, 2:50 PM
Thanks for the input! Sorry I was on vacation and just read your replies. It looks like I will have to look into purchasing a female GSP.

Thanks again!

popndrop
04-24-2007, 8:43 PM
My experience with GSP's is this - They are Great hunting dogs, and sweet companions, however, they need a GREAT DEAL OF EXERCISE ALL THE TIME!!!
I had one that was very, very hyper and suffered from Extreme Separation Anxiety. He hunted like there was no tomorrow, was a great dog to have hanging out with you, but as soon as you wanted to go catch a movie, or say... I don't know, go to WORK - He turned into your worse nightmare - destroying everything he could move, and screaming and crying until you came home. It was a shame. I spent a great deal of money to have him trained by the best guys on the west coast, but ultimately the only thing that I could do was to give him to someone who worked from home and could spend his whole day with.

THAT BEING SAID - I now have an English Setter - What a sweet dog - I got him from the guy who did my last dog's training - and he is a FANTASTIC hunter, and a pleasure to be around. He's very easy going, and doesn't turn into a whirling-dervish if he misses a walk or two. He handles very easily, doesn't require a heavy hand to control in the field or at home, and is quick to please.

I've hunted extensively with GSP's, English Pointers and English Setters, and a few times with Brittneys. At some point it really becomes an issue of how much time are you really going to be able to spend hunting with the dog, and how much are you willing to work him, compared to how much you really want a nice house pet.

I hope I haven't offended any GSP fans out there - I love the breed, but they require a great deal of attention and work. If I retire young and move to the country, I'll have a kennel of them - but I live and work in Orange Co now, and I have to work with what works.

I have some contacts within the field trial community that are often looking for good homes for trained dogs, so if you'd like drop me a line and i'll try to help.

M

CALI-gula
04-24-2007, 9:02 PM
My neighbor had a German Short Hair he used for hunting pheasent - this dog was amazing! Very good protector over his kids too, and was not hyper at all - male - and was NOT neutered.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen a dog do, came from that dog. My neighbor loved that dog, and where he went the dog went - we would go fishing with my him, on a good-sized fishing boat he had. It was freshwater, so there were always a lot of flies hanging around the boat. That dog would bounce around the boat "pointing" at flies every time they would land - he would get right up to them, just inches from his nose, and go into a "pointing" stance with one paw in the air, and stay as still as possible on the rocking boat. Used to crack me up!

All my life, my neighbor ONLY had German Short Hairs - at least 7 since I was a kid, and usually 2 at the same time. Now all his kids have German Short Hairs as well!

nevjohn
04-25-2007, 8:49 AM
Brittany's. At least for upland game in my book. Very smart and train easily.
Females are easier to train also, and make great family dogs also. They require alot of LOVE from family members, but yet, if are "Birdy" they are great hunters.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/NevJohn/img4327.jpg

mdhpper
04-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info. that is something to consider. My brother just purchased a GSP from Nomars Kennels. He purchased a six month old male, he seems to like him very much. I guess it might be best to find something a different type of dog being that we hunt together. Thanks for the offer!

THAT BEING SAID - I now have an English Setter - What a sweet dog - I got him from the guy who did my last dog's training - and he is a FANTASTIC hunter, and a pleasure to be around. He's very easy going, and doesn't turn into a whirling-dervish if he misses a walk or two. He handles very easily, doesn't require a heavy hand to control in the field or at home, and is quick to please.

I have some contacts within the field trial community that are often looking for good homes for trained dogs, so if you'd like drop me a line and i'll try to help.

M

mdhpper
04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I have heard alot of great things about Brittanys. My uncle used to hunt with a couple of different types of dogs and always preferred Brittanys over anything else. I never found out why, he passed away awhile ago.

Brittany's. At least for upland game in my book. Very smart and train easily.
Females are easier to train also, and make great family dogs also. They require alot of LOVE from family members, but yet, if are "Birdy" they are great hunters.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/NevJohn/img4327.jpg

caduckgunner
04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
English Springer, great hunters and family dogs. Hell my springer is also my duck dog (loves water), my runs agility with him, and he is a great family pet.

mdhpper
04-27-2007, 1:08 PM
I hear they are great water dogs, I looked into them and found this breeder: http://www.pineshadows.com/. Can you recommend any other breeders?

Thanks in advance!

caduckgunner
04-27-2007, 1:12 PM
I hear they are great water dogs, I looked into them and found this breeder: http://www.pineshadows.com/. Can you recommend any other breeders?

Thanks in advance!

I would check on this site http://www.essfta.org/. I got mine at 4 months from a family that thought he was to crazy. He's my second springer and I love them. My wife loved them now also and says we will always have a springer in our family :D

Here ia a picture of him in agility

http://a772.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/15/l_ca3fab60fd945403f1257a065c350303.jpg

mdhpper
04-27-2007, 1:32 PM
Wow, that's a great looking dog! Thanks for the link, I'll have to look into it. Did you train your Springer yourself?

I would check on this site http://www.essfta.org/. I got mine at 4 months from a family that thought he was to crazy. He's my second springer and I love them. My wife loved them now also and says we will always have a springer in our family :D

Here ia a picture of him in agility

http://a772.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/15/l_ca3fab60fd945403f1257a065c350303.jpg

caduckgunner
04-27-2007, 1:45 PM
Yes. My wife has been teaching him hand signals for agility, so I have been thinking about training him with hand signals for hunting also. A realy good book for training springer is retriever training for spaniels by pamela owen kadelhttp://www.justduckypublishing.com/cover.gif

pullnshoot25
04-27-2007, 4:24 PM
Not a big fan of Springers, as I prefer dogs with a more wired coat and less funky ears (Springers tend to get ear problems)

My choices:

Pudelpointer (rad dog)
German Wirehaired (a little out of the ordinary)
Vizsla (one of my personal favorites)
German Shorthair (pretty standard)
Wirehaired Vizsla (German Wirehaired x Vizsla)

Rob454
04-27-2007, 4:49 PM
I prefer either a golden retreiver or a lab ret

caduckgunner
04-27-2007, 6:30 PM
Not a big fan of Springers, as I prefer dogs with a more wired coat and less funky ears (Springers tend to get ear problems)

I keep hearing that, but neither of my springers have ever has ear problems.

caduckgunner
04-27-2007, 6:31 PM
I prefer either a golden retreiver or a lab ret

I have a choc. lab also ;)

Spaceghost
04-28-2007, 11:18 AM
MY wife's dad is an avid hunter in Florida. He has one male Vizsla and a female one. The male goes duck hunting and the female goes pheasant hunting. Both are good family dogs and I hear they are both great hunting dogs. I am afraid my father in law might shoot me and tell my wife that he thought I was a duck or a pheasant, depending on the hunt. J/K.
Seriously, I am too lazy and the jet lag to Florida kicks my arse. Getting up at one in the morning our time to sit in a boat and blow some ducks out of the sky and get sunburned isn't my bag baby. That's why I only target shoot. I go there, set up my targets, shoot, pack up, and go home. Done deal. I don't have time to wait for something to shoot, I have got things to do. Such as my Sunday nap and pick up after my two boxers.

My choices:

Pudelpointer (rad dog)
German Wirehaired (a little out of the ordinary)
Vizsla (one of my personal favorites)
German Shorthair (pretty standard)
Wirehaired Vizsla (German Wirehaired x Vizsla)

pullnshoot25
04-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I keep hearing that, but neither of my springers have ever has ear problems.

It is kind of luck of the draw. I was a bather for my brother's dog grooming shop for about 4 years and let me tell you, I had to do more medicated ear flushes and ear hair pulling on springers than pretty much any other dog.

Also, their coats are a pain in the ***, especially if you live in a foxtail region, as they have feathered legs and curly coats... I had to work on that a bunch too....

Q
04-28-2007, 4:44 PM
I think the german short hair pointers are nice dogs. I like the ones where the whole head is dark brown and the body is white with dark brown spots.

If I was to get a new dog I would buy a german short hair or weimaraner.

My dog looks like a little of both. I think he has german genetics. He's a oklahoma hog hunting american pitbull. seven generation pedegree from adba. maybe nine I have the papers put away.
heres a pic.
p.s. he's still a virgin, only acouple years old but I would like him to breed at least once so let me know if you can give me some pointers.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/mydoggy.jpg

1SGMAT
04-29-2007, 12:05 AM
GSP is the best all around hunting dog. Male or female will be good if they are trained right.

iamp
04-29-2007, 3:53 AM
German shorthairs are great mine retrives ducks, pheasants, dove, quail nything been out hunting and not taken a shot and have a winged duck in the bag. Watch your birds.

speedracer
04-29-2007, 6:52 AM
GSP are the best in my book. They are easily trained, as far as their "hardhead" mentality it's a plus out in the field on windy days or pheasants on the run. They can retrive anything, their point can not be beat
they are great with kids, faithful companion, great watch dog.

pullnshoot25
04-29-2007, 2:54 PM
Agreed!

WolfMansDad
04-30-2007, 8:20 PM
Check out San Joaquin Llewellins in Clovis, just outside of Fresno.

http://www.sanjoaquinllewellins.com/

They are field (llewellin) English setters. Great dogs, and the breeder hunts. I have one of their pups, and I have been hunting with the breeder a few times.

Highly recommended.

scombs263
04-30-2007, 9:17 PM
My family has a 1 year old Lab who has been hunting on about 4 trips for upland bird...I was against a shock collar, however the last time we used it on her, she out preformed the GSP and Springer Spaniel that we regularly hunt with...She has very little training, but is very birdy, since her parents are both hunters, her dad is an awesome hunter...So, with the right Lab, you can get a great hunting dog, their stamina is not as good as a GSP though...Our Lab on the other hand has a ton of energy...

robairto
04-30-2007, 9:25 PM
Define which type of hunting you will do most of. Doves are like ducks. They fly and your dog will retieve them when they are downed. Quail, Chukar, Pheasants will require a dog with a good nose and bred in hunting ability. You need to decide if you want a pointer or flusher. I have a lab and had a GSP. The GSP was a hoover in the field with energy to burn. My GSP required lots of attention and discipline. He was very obedient but was hell on my yard. I kept him in a dog run but he needed more exercise than I gave him. My choice would be lab as a replacement. A lab fits my life better now. If I upland hunted like I used to, it'd be another GSP. My dog came from Gary Davis/Olive hill kennels and I got the pick of the litter. I chose a very gamey pup with a modest personality. He was a star in the field and the hardest hunting dog I've seen with an incredible nose. He cleaned a field afterr Archie Obrien had worked his 2 english pointers and pulled as many birds as both his dogs had. Archie watched me work him and congratulated me on his training and work (a proud owner speaking of course). Good luck. RB