PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 GLOCKS illegal?

NoCash4theRange
03-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I went to Target Masters in Milpitas today and was asking about a .22 Advantage Arms conversion kit made for GLOCK. The question was "Can I put on any of the .22 conversion kits that apply to G17's on my GEN4 (I was told by someone else on CG it didn't matter)? Does it have to be specifically made for GEN4 or can I use either of the 2 that Advantage Arms offers(gens 1-3 or gen4)?"
They did not know because "GEN4's are not legal in California."
I got mine from Valkyrie Arms and love that store so what are they at Target Masters talking about? A good thing, I just found out Target Masters has a layaway plan for new/used firearms. I went in to buy an ATI top folding stock for my Mossberg 500 but it was 25 bones more expensive than almost everywhere online. I asked if the were willing to drop the price to meet others prices? "We want to and will....just not right now." The rep did however let me know that Target Masters Milpitas will be lowering prices to meet those online :)
Made me happy! I'm happy about that fact that I'll be getting at least 2 more pistols in the next 3 months :cool2:

SFgiants105
03-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Sounds like FUD to me. If I'm not mistaken, there are hardly any Glocks that don't meet the CA DOJ safety requirements and that there are more handguns from Glock on the approved roster than there are from any other manufacturer.

In fact, I think the Glock 18 might be the only one not legal in CA, although I'm probably wrong :D

Merc1138
03-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Sounds like FUD to me. If I'm not mistaken, there are hardly any Glocks that don't meet the CA DOJ safety requirements and that there are more handguns from Glock on the approved roster than there are from any other manufacturer.

In fact, I think the Glock 18 might be the only one not legal in CA, although I'm probably wrong :D

Gen 4 glocks are not on the roster and cannot be on the roster because they don't meet the requirements. The requirements were changed after the gen 3 glocks were added, and if those gen 3's were ever dropped they couldn't be added again.

The roster sucks.

That said, gen 4 glocks are not illegal, plenty of people buy them via single shot exemption all the time.

Targetmasters does not do SSE, they don't do evil black rifles, they don't do decent customer service, etc. Take your money elsewhere.

SFgiants105
03-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Gen 4 glocks are not on the roster and cannot be on the roster because they don't meet the requirements. The requirements were changed after the gen 3 glocks were added, and if those gen 3's were ever dropped they couldn't be added again.

The roster sucks.

That said, gen 4 glocks are not illegal, plenty of people buy them via single shot exemption all the time.

Targetmasters does not do SSE, they don't do evil black rifles, they don't do decent customer service, etc. Take your money elsewhere.

Oops. Don't I look like a horse's @$$.

When did the gen4's come out anyway (not a Glock fan at all; I couldn't even tell you the difference between any of the genereations)?

Where are the exact safety requirements posted, if you don't mind me asking?

Chaos47
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Off roster does not equal illegal

NoCash4theRange
03-27-2012, 12:34 AM
I told them I have one legally(GEN4). They just said they don't carry them GEN4's. I also called in advance to ask about an ATI top folding stock for my Mossberg 500 which I was quoted 121.00, way above the asking price. Out of curiosity I stopped by to find that it was actually selling for 79.99. I was at that point irritated from the lack of customer service. But what's new? Not all the employee's are awful, they actually have some great employee's, just a every now and again they seem to fall off. Humans :)

Oceanbob
03-27-2012, 4:53 AM
Oops. Don't I look like a horse's @$$.

When did the gen4's come out anyway (not a Glock fan at all; I couldn't even tell you the difference between any of the genereations)?

Where are the exact safety requirements posted, if you don't mind me asking?

Gen 4s came out slowly...model by model. The 17, 19. 23, etc..etc...still waiting for the G20, G29 and 30 to come out. (later this year we are told)

I'am guessing the change started 2 years + ago. The main differences are Dual Recoil spring, Different grip pattern (see my photo) and larger magazine release button. Also, they come with backstrap plastic inserts to change the size of the grip and 3 magazines.

Early models had some recoil spring issues and extractor issues but it appears those problems have been solved. Glock sends everyone a new spring free.

The reason our CDOJ won't approve the GEN4s for the Safe Handgun Roster is these new guns must have a Magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator. Something not needed (especially during a tactical reload.....hey bad guy...wait a minute while I change up my magazine..don't shoot me...)

Glock won't do it.

However, you can still get a Gen4 by several methods:

1. SSE one thru the many FFLs who do this exemption.
2. Buy one from someone here in California who already has one.
3. Inter Family transfer from grandparent, parent or adult kid who lives out of State and sends you one as a gift. (no tax)
4. Buy one from Law Enforcement who are exempt from the roster to begin with.

I got mine from my adult daughter in Oklahoma :)

She's a good daughter.

Be well, Bob

Glock 21 GEN4 with green laser. Really a sweet shooter. (15 round mag as well)

http://i39.tinypic.com/25gsdbs.jpg

mmrx2
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Gen 3s must be very safe because they are on the safe list. Gen 4s must be unsafe because they are not on the safe list. Kalifornia wrote this law to protect law abiding people from owning unsafe pistols.

stix213
03-27-2012, 1:22 PM

Try getting a Glock 25 or 28 then....

But that's not even a CA thing.

Sam
03-27-2012, 2:35 PM
There's a difference between what a California FFL may transfer to a non-exempt individual and what is illegal for an individual to own. A Gen 4 Glock may not be transferred by an FFL to a non-exempt individual because it doesn't have the safety features needed to make the roster. However, this has nothing to do with the legality of ownership of a Gen 4 Glock and they are completely legal to own.

When people and gun stores commonly say "X gun is not California illegal," they really mean "X gun is not legal to be transferred to a non-exempt person."

TAS
03-27-2012, 2:59 PM
Keep in mind that Target Masters walks a very narrow path and doesn't want to deviate from it. They don't know about the Gen 4's because it's not on their path.

It's like they're playing in the kiddie pool and are afraid to go into the deep end.

Having said this though, I've actually bought several things from them and you just need to play by their rules. For anything SSE or EBR related, I just know to go elsewhere. Their prices on what they have are actually not all that bad and they often get some of the harder-to-find on roster guns.

Sam
03-27-2012, 3:06 PM
Keep in mind that Target Masters walks a very narrow path and doesn't want to deviate from it. They don't know about the Gen 4's because it's not on their path.

It's like they're playing in the kiddie pool and are afraid to go into the deep end.

Having said this though, I've actually bought several things from them and you just need to play by their rules. For anything SSE or EBR related, I just know to go elsewhere. Their prices on what they have are actually not all that bad and they often get some of the harder-to-find on roster guns.

While SSEs may have been cutting edge at one time, it's not anymore. It's far from playing in the "deep end." Ultimately it's their business to run how they see fit, however.

NoCash4theRange
03-27-2012, 4:55 PM
Gen 4s came out slowly...model by model. The 17, 19. 23, etc..etc...still waiting for the G20, G29 and 30 to come out. (later this year we are told)

I'am guessing the change started 2 years + ago. The main differences are Dual Recoil spring, Different grip pattern (see my photo) and larger magazine release button. Also, they come with backstrap plastic inserts to change the size of the grip and 3 magazines.

Early models had some recoil spring issues and extractor issues but it appears those problems have been solved. Glock sends everyone a new spring free.

The reason our CDOJ won't approve the GEN4s for the Safe Handgun Roster is these new guns must have a Magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator. Something not needed (especially during a tactical reload.....hey bad guy...wait a minute while I change up my magazine..don't shoot me...)

Glock won't do it.

However, you can still get a Gen4 by several methods:

1. SSE one thru the many FFLs who do this exemption.
2. Buy one from someone here in California who already has one.
3. Inter Family transfer from grandparent, parent or adult kid who lives out of State and sends you one as a gift. (no tax)
4. Buy one from Law Enforcement who are exempt from the roster to begin with.

I got mine from my adult daughter in Oklahoma :)

She's a good daughter.

Be well, Bob

Glock 21 GEN4 with green laser. Really a sweet shooter. (15 round mag as well)

http://i39.tinypic.com/25gsdbs.jpg

I purchased mine through SSE. Good daughter for sure! Nice G21!