PDA

View Full Version : Gun control is tough sell in Congress

GI_JOE
04-17-2007, 9:15 AM
This article provides some hope. :D

From Yahoo News, Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_on_go_co/virginia_tech_gun_control_2;_ylt=AgXYgM_SfuPD._d8X LBE3IdH2ocA

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer 39 minutes ago
Gun control advocates made little headway after another bloody April shootout eight years ago and acknowledged Tuesday they face similarly tough odds in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings.

"It is a tough sell," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (voting record), D-N.Y., the House's most ardent proponent of gun control legislation.

In 1999, after the Columbine High School killings in Colorado left 15 dead, including the two shooters, lawmakers unsuccessfully introduced dozens of bills to require mandatory child safety locks on new handguns, ban "Saturday night specials," increase the minimum age for gun purchases and require background checks on weapons bought at gun shows.

A month after the Columbine shootings, then Vice President Al Gore cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate to advance a juvenile crime bill that included gun show restrictions. But the bill died after a year of on-and-off negotiations with the House, where gun rights lawmakers held sway.

Gun control became an issue in the 2000 election and many political analysts say Gore, assailed by the National Rifle Association for supporting gun control, lost critical votes in rural states where voters are strong supporters of gun rights.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (voting record), D-Calif., who sponsored the 1994 federal assault weapons ban that Congress allowed to expire in 2004, said in a statement that she believed the killings at Virginia Tech would "re-ignite the dormant effort to pass commonsense gun regulations in this nation."

But while Democrats now control the Congress, many of its new members are gun rights supporters from rural states.

McCarthy said she is trying to promote legislation that will be acceptable to gun rights people, including a bill that would require instant background checks for gun purchases rather than making buyers wait a day or more.

stag1500
04-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks for that post. It's nice to know we still have a good chance of fighting back against imminent gun control legislation.

SemiAutoSam
04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
This is no reason to get off guard.

I personally don't believe it no matter what I read on Google.

My crystal ball tells me we are in for a long hard fight.

I remember 1994 as right before the vote it didn't feel like congress would do this to us but they did.

Our so called reps are a bunch of back stabbing lying cheating subhuman vile creatures.

They are only out for their self preservation and we don't matter to them in the least.

EOR sorry this **** really makes me MAD:mad:

Dont Tread on Me
04-17-2007, 3:54 PM
A similar article.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/politics/4724163.html

I like this line:

Democrats traditionally have been in the forefront of efforts to pass gun control legislation, but there is a widespread perception among political strategists that the issue has been a loser in recent campaigns. It was notably absent from the agenda Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi unveiled earlier this year when the party took control of the House and Senate for the first time in more than a decade.

12gaugederringer
04-17-2007, 4:37 PM
We should not let our guard down, but instead be on the offensive. We should all be calling for national right to carry, or rather re-establishment of our right to carry. As our population continues to rise, so does the number of insane mass-murderers. If we are to live as a free society, we must defend ourselves it's all part of the package.

aileron
04-17-2007, 5:08 PM
Im pretty much preparing for getting bored through without any lube, or so much as a thank you from our politicians. :(

And yea, we need to be on the offensive, I most definitely dont like the idea of more gun control. Im tired and sore from all this nonsense.

CA SHOOTER
04-17-2007, 6:00 PM
How can foreigners (exchange student) even purchase a firearm ? I don't get it . Was the korean shooter a legal resident ?

This whole situation is gonna turn up the heat on the gun haters .

Dont Tread on Me
04-17-2007, 6:14 PM
He was a permanent resident alien (green card holder) just like me and is viewed as an immigrant. This is the five year "waiting period" you have to go through before getting citizenship. To become a permanent resident you must pass a FBI background check, be checked for communicable diseases, etc etc.

Once you've been a permanent resident for five years (some cases where this wait is shorter such a military service) you can apply for citizenship. To satisfy this you must have no criminal history, have paid you taxes, and show your attachment to the US during your waiting period.

It is a funny state to be in. I must pay tax I'm subject to being drafted to serve in the US military but I cannot vote.

There are conditions for non permanent residents to buy guns. Coming here for a sporting competition or having a hunting license allow you to get a gun on some non immigrant visas.

PS on my citizenship application it asked if I was prepared to bear arms to defend the US. I replied "yes, see my hobbies."

hoffmang
04-17-2007, 6:19 PM
More on the current background political analysis.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0407/3533.html

I agree that we need to remain vigilant, but we also need to factor in a bit more air cover when thinking strategically.

-Gene

cartman
04-17-2007, 6:44 PM
McCarthy said she is trying to promote legislation that will be acceptable to gun rights people,

Did her nose just grow a few inch's?

tetris
04-17-2007, 8:36 PM
McCarthy said she is trying to promote legislation that will be acceptable to gun rights people,

Actually, there is a name for these people: they call themselves "sportsmen", and they will support virtually any gun bans.

Icarus
04-17-2007, 9:04 PM
Except for HR1022 I don't expect much gun control effort by the Dems until after the 2008 election when they expect to win the White House. This will give them control of all 3 branches of government and they can pass any laws they want without fear of a veto. They will act like they are no longer in favor of gun control and then slam the door shut when they have the power. Remember, we are talking about politicians. When they die you don't bury them. You screw them into the ground.

FatKatMatt
04-17-2007, 9:40 PM
All I'm going to say is thank God for the South

hoffmang
04-17-2007, 9:58 PM
I second that thought.

West Virginia, Arkansas, and Tennessee may have saved our little Constitutional experiment over the long haul.

-Gene

SemiAutoSam
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
In another thread I saw that McCarthy has just introduced another bill a magazine ban and or restriction.

and I also saw this page that was on one of the poll threads.

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=2954276&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Rem1492
04-17-2007, 10:04 PM
EOR sorry this **** really makes me MAD:mad:

its ok man, its ok.........let's go get a beer and rant to the bartender.

I have already taken my prozac today, I am doing fine.

SemiAutoSam
04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
If it wasn't so late I would love a nice cold Grolsch or maybe a carlsberg I haven't had one of those in years.

Now to find one. LOL

its ok man, its ok.........let's go get a beer and rant to the bartender.

I have already taken my prozac today, I am doing fine.

aileron
04-18-2007, 5:47 AM
PS on my citizenship application it asked if I was prepared to bear arms to defend the US. I replied "yes, see my hobbies."

:D Now that is good.

aileron
04-18-2007, 5:57 AM

More guns less crime? CCW for all willing and able law abiding citizens? 2nd amendment protects the rights of individuals to own military weapons in common use today? I'm all for it, when is she going to start speaking this wisdom??? Oh never. Oh well.

If she wishes to use the words; restrict, close loophole, and most important BAN. No one is going to listen, if they do they are traitors. She only needs to speak with Mitt Romney and get a clue how his anti-gun stance is boding for him. I think she needs to stop sipping from the bottle and realize, we have had it with BANS of any kind.

And if she wants to have an epiphany that more guns and CCW will reduce crime. Cool. Not holding my breath.

-- done ranting. :D