PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Scope for Appleseed

Steerme
03-26-2012, 2:55 PM
I was given a Centerpoint 2-7x32 scope but it is set for parallax at 100 yards which I surmise may introduce accuracy and repeatability issues at 25 yards.

Will it work well for Appleseed when shooting at 25 yards or should I look for something with an AO? I'd guess that I would only use 2-4x magnification for the 25 yard distance.

pennys dad
03-26-2012, 4:42 PM
Does it have a Adjustable Objective on the front ring?

as_rocketman
03-26-2012, 8:48 PM
Chances are it will work "Well Enough." Parallax issues can be reduced if you use a consistent cheek weld, which is something we'll help you with. I'd give it a try and not be too worried about it.

Steerme
03-26-2012, 9:42 PM
Does it have a Adjustable Objective on the front ring?

Focus only. No parallax adjustment.

Chances are it will work "Well Enough." Parallax issues can be reduced if you use a consistent cheek weld, which is something we'll help you with. I'd give it a try and not be too worried about it.

I'm guessing that consistent cheek weld might be tougher when shooting in three positions. I might give the fiber optic sights a go if necessary.

I've been looking at two Nikon Prostaff scopes that have $50 rebates. ~$100 for a 3-9x40 with BDC (50 yard Parallax) after rebate and another ~$130 with AO (Parallax focus from 10-infinity).

jumpthestack
03-26-2012, 9:55 PM
I have a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x. Works for me; I shot Rifleman at my second shoot. I ran it on 5x magnification. I think pretty much anything will work. It's a .22 at 25 yards.

Steerme
03-27-2012, 8:53 AM
I have a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x. Works for me; I shot Rifleman at my second shoot. I ran it on 5x magnification. I think pretty much anything will work. It's a .22 at 25 yards.

The Simmons scope seems to be used by many Appleseed shooters. Have you gotten into a situation where you wished for better glass than provided by the Simmons?

Thanks for sharing.

ccandgc
03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I used my Simmons on my first AS on my .22 Mossberg bolt. Made rifleman to boot. Glass was fine and perfectly adequate.

laika
04-02-2012, 7:49 PM
What's the breakdown of scoped .22's to iron sights .22's? Does that affect what you can learn at the Appleseed? I'm sure it affects your final results (duh) but can you still learn to shoot better on iron sights?

Thanks, I haven't been to one yet.

Rock6.3
04-02-2012, 7:54 PM
What's the breakdown of scoped .22's to iron sights .22's? Does that affect what you can learn at the Appleseed? I'm sure it affects your final results (duh) but can you still learn to shoot better on iron sights?

Thanks, I haven't been to one yet.

Probably close to 30% scoped
60% with adjustable iron sights like techsights, or adjustable like M1, M1A, AR15.
10% fight with factory iron sights that are not really adjustable

If your eyes can clearly focus on the front sight, then adjustable irons are ok. If you have difficulty at that distance then low power optics would be a better choice.

And no, optics are not cheating.

as_rocketman
04-02-2012, 8:36 PM
Don't worry about scopes or irons being "better" for Appleseed. They're tools. Both have advantages and disadvantages (yes, scopes have disadvantages, even apart from cost and ruggedness).

If you need optics to see a 4 MOA target -- that's a 1" square at 25 meters, or the square ground hole of a standard power outlet at 25 feet -- then get optics, and we'll help you learn how to use them effectively. If you don't, then it's up to you whether to go with optics or irons.

The only thing that REALLY MATTERS with sights, no matter what kind you have, is that they can be adjusted precisely. They shouldn't wander or lose their zero, and you should be able to count positive clicks as you adjust them. Other than that, they're all good.

A rifle is not like a sports car. Its theoretical performance in a magazine makes little difference. It's more like a good running shoe. It should fit your body and be somewhat comfortable and natural to operate. Some people actually do better with irons than with scopes. Some people don't need scopes, but find they perform better with them anyway.

It's very common to find, after spending a whole weekend with your equipment at an Appleseed, that you need to make some changes. But at that point you'll have a good idea what works for you and what doesn't, instead of having to guess or ask others for opinions that you may or may not share.

PurplePeople
04-03-2012, 7:18 AM
What he said ^^^ and I'll add a couple things:

From the aging eyeballs perspective, it's not just being able to see a 4 MOA target at distance, it's being able to keep focus on the front sight over a long day shooting. If you possess aging eyeballs, try that for several hours at the range before the shoot. If not feasible, get optics. You're only at 25 meters at most shoots, so you can get something perfectly suitable for under $100.

From the instructor perspective, while we'll work with anything that shows up on the line, the one type of sight that I would advise against if asked in advance are electronic/red dot sights. They're as expensive and sometimes cranky as optics, they don't help aging eyes, and the 'bloom' of the dot or illuminated reticle can be a hindrance to a precise sight picture. The dot on the cheap ones is itself 4MOA, which completely obscures the small prone targets. They are great for CQB simulations like tactical / 3-gun matches, but leave 'em at home when you head for an AS shoot.

Steerme
04-04-2012, 7:30 PM
Rocketman et al,
Bought the 10/22 with the fiber optic sights. Need to clean and shoot soon.

I lost my eyeglasses so I am getting a new pair made for AS. Don't plan on using a red dot. Still need a scope and plan on picking up an AO scope witn 3-9x or 3-10X over the next couple of days.

Greatly appreciate any and all recommendations.

See you guys on the Piru line.

S