PDA

View Full Version : CCW in OC = easy???

SKUNK
04-16-2007, 6:32 PM
I read this on the net:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
In Los Angeles, a county with ten million residence, there are less than 500 CCW permits. Orange County, on the other hand, has only three million people and has about 2000 permits issued. The major difference between the two counties is that in LA you need to prove a need to carry a gun, in Orange County, as long as you are a law abiding citizen and take a gun safety course, you will be granted a CCW permit.

While i was surprised by how many people carried gun in OC, I was even more surprised by how easy it was to get a permit. I guess that's the benefit of living in a Republican dominated county.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this true?

If so, where do I sign up?

Thanks

Shane916
04-16-2007, 6:49 PM
Yeah this was on the video also recently posted. They interviewed the Sheriff in OC and he discussed CCW's.

Bishop
04-16-2007, 7:08 PM
There are some hoops to jump through and some money to be paid, but head over here:

http://californiaccw.org

And sign up, they'll be able to help you.

SKUNK
04-16-2007, 7:14 PM
I unfortunately do not have a logical/valid reason for needing a ccw except I am a law abiding citizen with no record.

nosewitdot
04-16-2007, 7:48 PM
avid shooter perhaps? keep all your range receipts if you do frequent the range often for proof

tango-52
04-16-2007, 9:07 PM
Sheriff Carona is very supportive of people wishing to CCW, but you do need to be able to express your own personal good cause. It would be related to your personal activities or business. Check in with the people at www.calccw.com There are many knowledgeable CCW holders from OC as well as true firearms experts available to bounce your ideas off of. Good luck.

marklbucla
04-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Depends on what easy to you is.

You have to take a CCW class (~$200), which everyone ought to take anyway.
You'll have to get fingerprinted via Live Scan (~$100)
You'll have to pay the OC application fee $100.

Total for a CCW is about $400 there and you have to get references, an interview, etc. I got mine and felt that it wasn't that bad. It's easier than LA, but it's still relatively hard compared to what it takes in Free America. In AL, I filled out a form 3 days after I moved here. Paid $20 and picked up the card less than a week later.

Astig Boy
04-17-2007, 1:41 PM
Being we live in California I have no idea on CCW rules. If you get a CCW in Orange County, can you carry freely all over California?..or just OC?

tango-52
04-17-2007, 1:49 PM
Unless your issuing agency puts restrictions limiting you, your CCW is valid throughout the state. Even in San Francisco and Los Angeles, no matter how much they want to say it isn't.

Python2
04-17-2007, 1:49 PM
CCW issued from any County or City is good all over the State unless there is written exception in your permit.

hawk1
04-17-2007, 1:50 PM
Being we live in California I have no idea on CCW rules. If you get a CCW in Orange County, can you carry freely all over California?..or just OC?

It's good statewide :)

Black Majik
04-17-2007, 3:06 PM
Easy? No

Possible? Yes

Definitely go for it. Figure $375 total for the whole process and 1 gun on permit. I think + $30 per handgun

$100 Livescan
$100 to write the permit on rice paper
$175 for class +/-

totals to roughly $350 - $400 depending on where you take your ccw class.

oh, and a dollar to laminate said rice paper :D

tango-52
04-17-2007, 8:46 PM
For OC, they allow three guns to be listed. There is a charge if you change guns and they have to re-type the rice paper. Check with your issuing agency before laminating, some frown on it. But at least in OC it is a straight-forward and fair process. In San Diego, they are now denying renewals. Apparently, we don't need to protect ourselves down here any more, they caught all the bad guys.

grammaton76
04-18-2007, 12:38 PM
In San Diego, they are now denying renewals. Apparently, we don't need to protect ourselves down here any more, they caught all the bad guys.

Wow. So they're going from not-too-great to outright bad. :mad: