PDA

View Full Version : Gas piston uppers

shawnyteee
04-16-2007, 7:28 PM
Its been awhile since I've read up on laws concerning AR-15s. I'm aware about the current situation of legal ak receivers wo/ gas pistons.

My question is, Is it legal to buy gas piston ar-15 upper receivers? I've done many Google searches with those keywords and came up with not much. If someone can en light me on this matter, I would be very grateful.

M. Sage
04-16-2007, 7:35 PM
The upper doesn't matter. You can put pretty much any upper on you want, as long as it's not .50BMG... unless it's on a registered AW.

People are doing AKs without pistons so they can have evil features and detachable mags. Possibly so they can have "listed" AK recievers, since the law says "semi automatic" before the list.

Normally, ARs don't have pistons. I'd suggest a normal-style AR upper without a piston, since they're a lot less expensive, and just as reliable. :D

shawnyteee
04-16-2007, 7:48 PM
The upper doesn't matter. You can put pretty much any upper on you want, as long as it's not .50BMG... unless it's on a registered AW.

People are doing AKs without pistons so they can have evil features and detachable mags. Possibly so they can have "listed" AK recievers, since the law says "semi automatic" before the list.

Normally, ARs don't have pistons. I'd suggest a normal-style AR upper without a piston, since they're a lot less expensive, and just as reliable. :D

thanks for the info.. and extra : )

Yankee Clipper
04-16-2007, 7:53 PM
I agree with M. SAGE, the only reason people go for the piston is the the lack of crud build up on/in the bolt/carrier/gas tube - a dubious benefit considering the cost differential. And some piston conversions have not been reliable. Being a closet prognosticator, however, I believe the M-16/AR-15 will evolve to that configuration sometime in the future.

Loner
04-16-2007, 7:56 PM
You could just buy any regular upper then convert it to a gas piston with an Ares kit later on. I've been thinking about that option as it'll be cheaper, and has the option of changing it back to direct impingement if need be.

shawnyteee
04-16-2007, 11:19 PM
just wonderin... does all or most gas pison ar-15 uppers have the same features as the hk 416?

brando
04-17-2007, 8:34 AM
Overall, they work the same using gas to drive a piston, which drives the actions vs gas driving the action. Beyond that they are all different to one degree or another in the actual mechanics of the mechanism. I've shot the Leitner Wise and POF and they more or less feel the same, but under the handguard they use a slightly different system IIRC. I really like the Leitner Wise setup, but I've shot it more than the POF, so my data is a bit slanted.

Personally, I'm holding out for the LMT conversion kit. They've been developing a gas piston setup that integrates into the quick-change barrel system.