PDA

View Full Version : disabilities and appleseed

Whacked
03-23-2012, 6:09 PM
how physically demanding is appleseed?
is it just getting into prone/sit/kneel/standing positions or is there more to it?
I mentioned appleseed to a shooting friend and he is interested altho is wondering if his disabilities may get into the way. he has bad knees and his back is basically destroyed. he cant sit/stand for any length of time and with his knees, getting into position may be difficult. doable but difficult.

I intend to attend appleseed myself (need sling/swivel and tech sights then gtg) but it wont happen until after semester ends.

artkat2
03-23-2012, 7:06 PM
Appleseed is for you to get out of it what you can the best you can. If your friend's physical limitations "keep him on the bench" for a certain portion on the event he can make up for it by using his eyes and ears.
Often times on the line a shooter will improve from hearing an instruction point aimed at another student.
Point is, Appleseed is what you make it, don't let anything get in the way of the outstanding instruction at your shoot.
Let your Shootboss know about your limitations and get out there soon. You won't regret it.

as_rocketman
03-23-2012, 8:39 PM
What he said. We get shooters with challenges frequently, and we'll work with you to make you as effective as possible. For some that may mean staying in prone all weekend and not doing the transitions, for others we'll set up a chair or even a bench.

It is more exercise than it looks -- so pace yourself! -- but don't be turned off the program just because you're not as fresh as the day you left the factory. I've had shooters in wheelchairs before who got a lot out of it. If possible, try to work with the shoot boss in advance if you have exceptional needs.

choprzrul
03-23-2012, 9:06 PM
What he said. We get shooters with challenges frequently, and we'll work with you to make you as effective as possible. For some that may mean staying in prone all weekend and not doing the transitions, for others we'll set up a chair or even a bench.

It is more exercise than it looks -- so pace yourself! -- but don't be turned off the program just because you're not as fresh as the day you left the factory. I've had shooters in wheelchairs before who got a lot out of it. If possible, try to work with the shoot boss in advance if you have exceptional needs.

^^Words of wisdom, from both commentors above^^

Appleseed is an amazing learning experience that all should seek out.