PDA

View Full Version : Problem feeding first round

shark92651
04-15-2007, 9:35 PM
I've got a slight problem with both my rifles and was looking for a little advice. After loading a fresh magazine with the bolt locked back, I press the bolt release and many times it only partially loads the first round. It moves it forward about 1/4 inch and the tip of the bullet is hung near the base of the chamber. If I pull back the charging handle and release then it will load the round properly. Last time at the range I just got in the habit of always pulling back the charging handle rather then hitting the bolt catch - it seems just that little bit of extra spring tension causes it to feed properly everytime. Could this be a problem with a weak buffer spring? It is odd that it happens on both of my rifles.

mike452
04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I had this problem when I used the wrong buffer spring. I mixed the buffer spring of A2 and M4 stocks.

Are the base of the chambers smooth?

Cpl_Peters
04-16-2007, 8:40 AM
Are you just "pressing" the bolt catch or "slamming" it. pushing it sometimes gives me that problem, The bolt catch doesnt go down all the way just enough to send the bolt moving forward but clearing enough or quickly enough slowing it down so it doesnt have enough force to move that round into the chamber. By slamming your palm up against the bolt catch and the rifle it should eliminate that problem. Think violence when slamming that bolt catch, dont treat it like a button on your remote control :)

If that doesnt solve the problem then I dont know what it could be. Maybe the buffer srping thing.

crazyXgerman
04-16-2007, 9:58 AM
what if you load one or two less rounds in the mag? does that make it feed properly?

Adog5
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I had a similar problem. Does the bullet get scratched by the ramps? If it looks like the ramps are digging hard into the bullet tip, polish the ramps. I sent my back to Bushmaster and they did a great job for free. After the polish, the bullets load soooo smooth and easily. Even if I pulled the charging handle back 75% or just enough to clear the round in the mag, it would still strip and load now.

Morales
04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Wasn't there a similar thread 2 or 3 days ago with the same problem and the same type of rifle?

C.G.
04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Wasn't there a similar thread 2 or 3 days ago with the same problem and the same type of rifle?

Yup, sounds like he needs to exercise his magazines.

Here is the thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=55014

And since I don't want people jumping over me for saying that there is such a thing as a search button at the top of the page, I am not going to say it.:)

shark92651
04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I'll try these suggestions, thanks. As far as the mags go, they have had quite a bit of use as I used them in my Kel-Tec before I built the AR's. A few of them are fairly new but they feed my SU-16 just fine. It may be that I am not slapping the bolt release hard enough.