PDA

View Full Version : Home built ak serial number question

SoCalMechanic
03-22-2012, 7:49 PM
Im not diving into the legality of it...I decided that I didn't want to try and deal with an LEO over why my rifle didn't/doesn't have a serial # so I went and punched it on there.

That's when I noticed (after starting to assemble stuff onto the receiver and check parts) that I had punched it in the area covered by the safety. My question is this:

Since it is a home built firearm and does not require a serial #, is this an issue, or am I better off fixing/resolving this? Or, because it can be field stripped and the safety removed, is it no big deal?

CSACANNONEER
03-22-2012, 8:05 PM
So now you have a SN that could potentially get scratched or obliterated? If that happens, it's a criminal offense. If it NEVER had a SN, there could be no crime. But, you did what you thought was right. Now, you have to deal with your choice. If I were you, I'd either place the same SN on another part of the receiver or, scrap it and build a new receiver. Personally, I do not put SNs on my homebuilds because, I don't want to try to deal with a LEO over why my SN gets scratched up or dinged up. BTW, you do realize that there are millions of PRODUCTION long guns in the US without SNs, don't you? These are pre 1968 guns but, they can still be purchased at gun shops throughout the country (including CA). While an uninformed LEO might have issues with one of these guns, they are 100% legal too. There's plenty of 4473s out there that state SN "NONE" on them.

SoCalMechanic
03-22-2012, 8:41 PM
http://pbckt.com/pW.RwehdW

http://pbckt.com/pW.RwetGO

That is how it looks, I don't feel that it will destroy itself or deteriorate over time, but it will cover it. The selector bump/nipple does not touch any portion of the sn.

I do in fact own a firearm without a sn, a .22/.410 savage over under. But since that one never came with one I have no worries...it also cannot be construed as anything other than an over under break action rifle/shotgun.

If stamping the same sn in another location would be satisfactory I may go ahead and just duplicate it. I definitely am not building this rifle for a beauty contest. Thanks for the input Cannoneer, it definitely made me think of another option.

RAMCHARGER
03-23-2012, 3:18 PM
So now you have a SN that could potentially get scratched or obliterated? If that happens, it's a criminal offense. If it NEVER had a SN, there could be no crime. But, you did what you thought was right. Now, you have to deal with your choice. If I were you, I'd either place the same SN on another part of the receiver or, scrap it and build a new receiver. Personally, I do not put SNs on my homebuilds because, I don't want to try to deal with a LEO over why my SN gets scratched up or dinged up. BTW, you do realize that there are millions of PRODUCTION long guns in the US without SNs, don't you? These are pre 1968 guns but, they can still be purchased at gun shops throughout the country (including CA). While an uninformed LEO might have issues with one of these guns, they are 100% legal too. There's plenty of 4473s out there that state SN "NONE" on them.

My old Savage shot gun has no ser number :)

sharxbyte
03-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm not putting one on mine for the reasons above; If an LEO asks why it doesn't have one (if they ever get close enough to see it) I have the flowchart, as well as a printed and highlighted piece of law that says that it's legal to build your own firearms for personal use.

See Below:

So I have been doing research and working to find the exact bit of the law that permits it (just did, it's on page 176 of This Document (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf), center column, A6) and might turn it (excerpted?) into a hand-out, to carry along with the Flow Chart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf)

SoCalMechanic
03-24-2012, 3:20 PM
Good info to print and keep in my gun case. Thanks sharxbyte

sharxbyte
03-24-2012, 7:03 PM
No problem ;) spent a few hours finding the exact bit of law, so if you see anyone else who needs it be sure to pass it on!