View Full Version : Marlin 336 hard to load.

03-22-2012, 6:13 PM
A friend of mine recently bought a Marlin 336 in 30-30 we took it to the range for the first time yesterday and noticed its a... Bear to load it. Like theres alot of tension on the loading door or something. I did a little looking around before asking but didnt really find any solutions to ease the loading a little bit.

So pretty much what i'm asking is does anybody know if there is a way to adjust it a bit or an aftermarket spring he could put in it? also is there any other parts that anyone recommends upgrading?

03-22-2012, 8:37 PM
The loading gate and spring is one piece. Brownells sells a replacement but it's probably to factory specs. I have a Marlin 336A (same caliber) and it takes some effort to pass the round through the loading gate. Try stripping the rifle cleaning the recess in the side of the receiver and polishing the part.

03-22-2012, 8:55 PM
It gets a little easier after you put some rounds through it. You can lightly stone the edges of the gate so rounds slide over it a little easier, and I've heard of people ever so slightly flattening the spring a little but there's really not much else you can do.

For a great source of info on Marlin lever actions check out MarlinOwners.com.