PDA

View Full Version : Building first AR-15, am I good to go?

wkahwkah
03-22-2012, 7:08 PM
Hello folks
I'm currently building an AR-15 and need to go over my list so please help!

Already own: spikes buffer kit, STR stock, spikes enhanced lower parts kit, bcm charging handle with mod4.

Mega lower is in jail right now, will be able to pick it up next Mon with pmag 10/20 or 10/30 and bullet button

Parts coming: Troy folding sight set and PSA hammer forged 16" middle-length upper.

I bought 300 rounds of PMC .223 with PSA upper since federal 5.56 were out of stock. is PMC .223 good enough to break-in or should I find 5.56?

I need recommendation for cleaning kit and lube
but other than that, am I good to go?

Thanks!

Arkangel
03-22-2012, 8:08 PM
Break in an AR? I'm either trained differently or just old... I just zero'd mine then shoot some more. Cleaned it when I got home.

As for a cleaning kit, its pretty much your choice. Otis, Kleen Bore and many others all make great kits.

Believe it or not what to clean an AR with turned into a thread with lots and lots of different opinions. People use everything from motor oil to Slip2000.

tpat663
03-22-2012, 8:27 PM
Get a bore snake best thing ever made. Any gun lube is fine, I found that sewing machine lube works great, less is more though dont over lube your gun.

Johnnyfres
03-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Check out this checklist from Brownell's

Also good choice on the charging handle.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=brownell%20ar-15%20checklist&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2FUserDocs%2FMi scellaneous%2FARCLform.pdf&ei=QQRsT7LeIufPiAKT2uDSBQ&usg=AFQjCNHdDrxBw56ENstvuE6Op_MbMZiG0A

thenut2000
03-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Use cheap ammo to break it in. After a few hundred rounds take out the Bolt Carrier Group and check to see if the Gas Key is still Staked properly. There is many many ways to clean and lubricate.
-Bob

chrisf
03-23-2012, 1:31 AM
Ammo!!!

loekanle
03-27-2012, 4:38 AM
what about muzzle brake, sling, and sling adapter

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
03-27-2012, 7:59 AM
I wouldn't worry about a sling unless you plan on taking your ar into the bush. I bought one because I though I "had" to have it. It has sat in the gun safe for over a year now, unused :p.

Agree with earlier post. Cleaning options are like &%# holes, every one has one.

I myself am a cheepo. I use a bore snake, then Hoppe's 9 to get rid of the copper and lead foul, then automotive brake cleaner, followed by a light coat of Du-Lite's Kwikseal down the barrel to prevent rust between range trips.

My .02

wsmc27
03-27-2012, 9:12 AM
I wouldn't worry about a sling unless you plan on taking your ar into the bush. I bought one because I though I "had" to have it. It has sat in the gun safe for over a year now, unused :p.
My .02

:confused: Whaa wha wha...no sling? If OP only ever shoots from the bench, I suppose?

Sling is needed, if one ever would like to do a Tac Carbine class/training and/or participate in certain run n' gun type of shoots.

O' course, many of us do different things with our AR's.

More $0.02

Have FUN and be safe OP, enjoy!

:)