PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to have Chinese 20rd fixed magazine on SKS?

bakemono
03-22-2012, 5:09 PM
A little background:
My uncle has a Chinese SKS that he brought back with him from Vietnam that he wanted to give me. Only problem: it has the 20round fixed magazine. I know I can't bring it into CA with the fixed magazine attached due to laws against the transfer of magazines that hold over 10 rounds. Howeeeeeever, I do have one of these magazines in my garage somewhere that I bought in the 90s for my other SKS and never got around to installing because I thought it would be odd having a Chinese mag on my Russian SKS. Now, post-2000, I am too cautious/chicken to install it, and was keeping it mostly for its rarity. Am I correct in assuming that it is illegal to install this fixed 20 rounder on any sks in CA?
Its a damn shame to change the SKS away from the way it was found. I don't even expect to ever shoot it, but even as an heirloom I cant keep it that way unless I weld the damn bolt shut, which is its own form of blasphemy.

chillincody
03-22-2012, 5:33 PM
1st ? is it banned by name if no then

2nd I say have the mag taken off and perma blocked to ten rounds then re install plus add Bullet button (have your uncle do this ) then you should be GTG some one will correct me if im wrong but thats how i see it.

and to keep it as a wall hanger you would have to follow BATF de mill specs before you get it I think not just a weld

Harrison_Bergeron
03-22-2012, 5:38 PM
The answer is that YES a fixed magazine that holds more than ten rounds would trigger AW status.

five.five-six
03-22-2012, 5:39 PM
least we forget 922r compliance

bakemono
03-22-2012, 11:03 PM
1st ? is it banned by name if no then

2nd I say have the mag taken off and perma blocked to ten rounds then re install plus add Bullet button (have your uncle do this ) then you should be GTG some one will correct me if im wrong but thats how i see it.

and to keep it as a wall hanger you would have to follow BATF de mill specs before you get it I think not just a weld

Its already a fixed magazine, so no need for a bulletbutton, but there might be a way to mod that 20 rounder to fit 10 rounds permanently. THat's probably actually the best route to go about it, because I won't really be altering the gun TOO badly aside from blocking the mag from holding more than 10 rounds.

Annex138
03-23-2012, 12:19 AM
I would just swap out the fixed 20 round mag to a standard 10 rounder and be legal. You can still own the 20 rounder just not attached to the rifle. You should be able to find the fixed 10 round mag easily or pull the 10 round mag off your Russian, send it to your uncle and have him put it on the gun so that he can transfer it to you.

sharxbyte
03-23-2012, 12:39 AM
What about those 18 rd marlin tube feeds? wouldn't it be in the same situation as one of those? just a guess and more of a question... I'd think since it was built with it permanently attached, that it would be considered part of the gun...

S470FM
03-23-2012, 12:49 AM
tube fed rifles are exempt.

sharxbyte
03-23-2012, 1:03 AM
>:3 tube fed ar???

five.five-six
03-23-2012, 1:04 AM
tube fed rimfire rifles are exempt.
FTFY

Quiet
03-23-2012, 1:07 AM
Am I correct in assuming that it is illegal to install this fixed 20 rounder on any sks in CA?
Yes.
It's illegal. [PC 30515(a)(2)]

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

What about those 18 rd marlin tube feeds? wouldn't it be in the same situation as one of those? just a guess and more of a question... I'd think since it was built with it permanently attached, that it would be considered part of the gun...

.22 calibered fixed tubular magazines are exempt from the large capacity magazine laws. [PC 16740(b)]

The 10 round fixed magazine limit only applies to centerfire rifles and semiauto pistols. It does not apply to rimfire rifles. [PC 30515(a)(2)&(5)]

Penal Code 16740
As used in this part, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(a) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(b) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(c) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Quiet
03-23-2012, 1:11 AM
tube fed rifles are exempt.

Correction.

.22 calibered fixed tubular magazine fed firearms [PC 16740(b)] and any calibered fixed tubular magazine fed lever-action firearms [PC 16740(c)] are exempt.
All other tubular magazine fed firearms are not exempt.

Penal Code 16740
As used in this part, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(a) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

chrisf
03-23-2012, 1:29 AM
least we forget 922r compliance
Throw an american flag on it :cool2: but seriously I'd ask an autority.youll get a million different answers on here.

bakemono
03-23-2012, 11:30 AM
It would be nice if there was a C&R/Trophy of war exception. Meh...10 rounder it is.

five.five-six
03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Correction.

.22 calibered fixed tubular magazine fed firearms [PC 16740(b)] and any calibered fixed tubular magazine fed lever-action firearms [PC 16740(c)] are exempt.
All other tubular magazine fed firearms are not exempt.

correction, pump action are exempt as well

Quiet
03-23-2012, 1:52 PM
correction, pump action are exempt as well
Incorrect.

Pump/slide-action firearms are not exempt.
Unless, they are .22 calibered. [PC 16740(b)]

Penal Code 16740

Springfield45
03-23-2012, 5:20 PM
Incorrect.

Pump/slide-action firearms are not exempt.
Unless, they are .22 calibered. [PC 16740(b)]

Penal Code 16740

Yep! See, my origional 1873 Winchester is not an Assault Weapon.

jmpgnr24k
03-23-2012, 6:20 PM
I would just swap out the fixed 20 round mag to a standard 10 rounder and be legal. You can still own the 20 rounder just not attached to the rifle. You should be able to find the fixed 10 round mag easily or pull the 10 round mag off your Russian, send it to your uncle and have him put it on the gun so that he can transfer it to you.

This is it right here. ^^^^
It's not hard to remove the fixed mag.

CHS
03-23-2012, 7:37 PM
[/B]

Yep! See, my origional 1873 Winchester is not an Assault Weapon.

It wouldn't be an assault weapon anyways.

Large-capacity tubular fixed-magazines on pump-action firearms are perfectly legal for example to own and possess and use, except the owner can no longer sell them in CA post-2000 due to the large-capacity magazine laws (it is illegal to offer or expose for sale a large-capacity magazine). The AW laws have NOTHING to do with this.

So if your lever-action wasn't exempt, it still wouldn't be an assault weapon, it would just be considered a large-capacity magazine and you wouldn't ever be able to sell it, but you could continue to own it and shoot it.

X-NewYawker
03-23-2012, 8:32 PM
>:3 tube fed ar???

Pointy ammo would ignite primer of round in front. Big mess.

CHS
03-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Pointy ammo would ignite primer of round in front. Big mess.

Plus, a 10rd mag would be like two feet long :)

PEZHEAD265
03-23-2012, 10:48 PM
A 20 rd fixed mag on the sks is illegal.Buy a 10 rounder for it.If your uncle sends the 20 rd mag to you make sure he brakes it down to a parts kit.

m03
03-23-2012, 10:54 PM
IIRC, the 20rd. fixed mags are unreliable junk anyway and wouldn't be correct/historically accurate for a bringback SKS.

bcsoftware
03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
you can call the ca doj or better yet after calling them write them so get their answer in writing. with the back and forth on option even in law enforcement it is better in writing. I have seen people use pre-ban mags used in none pistol grip rifles so you might have o tak off the blade on the front to do it, but ask ca doj.