PDA

View Full Version : First AR15 done couple questions

spookie
03-22-2012, 3:10 PM
Hello, got my first AR15 shot it at the range today very addicting. Couple questions

I never loaded live rounds in it until I was at the range and noticed the charging handle is alot less stiff or maybe it was adrenaline pumping. Only reason I ask this is when I didn't have live rounds in it the charging handle was real stiff and tougher to pullback. Is this normal?

Last question the pin directly above the trigger came lose this happend once before so I knew how pop it back in. I checked the spring legs to make sure they are sitting into the groove which they are. Any ideas on how to fix this so it stops popping out? I was told drilling but sorta hesitant on that.

didn't wanna take a pic cause the quality is bad but lol I'll take proper pics once I get a real camera.

http://s15.postimage.org/9qmzml5x7/pic1_001.jpg

osis32
03-22-2012, 3:27 PM
Well when you shoot it the bolt slams into the buffer and spring. Breaks it in some. As for the fcg pins don't drill. Check your springs again or get a kns anti rotation pin kit.

Johnnyfres
03-22-2012, 3:40 PM
Here is the KNS kit that you should install to prevent that.

What brand lower do you have?

From what I have read some lowers can be out of spec and cause this issue.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26944/Product/GEN-2-MOD-2-NON-ROTATING-PIN-SET

BigBamBoo
03-22-2012, 4:05 PM
For your first questions it sounds like with your rifle unloaded and empty you say it is harder to pull the charging handle back? Well....let me go out on a limb and ask...does this happen when you have the dust cover closed? If yes, then that extra effert in pulling the charging handle is you having to force the dust cover open. Also if the hammer is in the un-cocked position you are also feeling the resistance of cocking the hammer. Those two will add to the cocking effort.

The second issue as stated above will be fixed with anti-walk pins.

spookie
03-22-2012, 5:57 PM
Here is the KNS kit that you should install to prevent that.

What brand lower do you have?

From what I have read some lowers can be out of spec and cause this issue.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26944/Product/GEN-2-MOD-2-NON-ROTATING-PIN-SET

Thanks just ordered its a spikes lower also.

Ahh okay boo makes sense, anytime I should have my dust cover closed? I read people who don't shoot alot don't even need a dust cover.

tonyxcom
03-22-2012, 6:06 PM
Your hammer spring may be upside down.

CHS
03-22-2012, 7:11 PM
Don't spend $30 on a pin set for what is most likely a backwards hammer spring.

Otherwise you've just wasted $30 and not actually fixed anything.

6mmintl
03-22-2012, 7:22 PM
If in Norcal/Peninsula, we can take a look at it to determine problem.

spookie
03-22-2012, 8:57 PM
Checked the spring its the right way the legs are sitting in the grooves not sure what it could be.

Looks exactly like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/IMG_5660.jpg

I didn't assemble the lower myself so my knowledge is real limited but is there a actual groove machined out in the pin they sit in? Or is it just the gap that they can fit?

Johnnyfres
03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
If you push the pin with a punch or a screwdriver does it move easily?

tonyxcom
03-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I'd pop the pins out and make sure there are grooves in it where the spring is supposed to retain it.

If its popping out in one range session its a bad sign. Hopefully its just an out of spec pin, instead of an out of spec lower.

What brand is the lower?

missiontrails
03-23-2012, 9:10 AM
There is no way that pin should be working its way out on a new rifle. The same thing was happening to my brother, and when I inspected his build, he had the trigger spring in backwards, which did not allow it to sit in there with enough pressure to keep his trigger pin from working out....

CHS
03-23-2012, 9:57 AM
he had the trigger spring in backwards, which did not allow it to sit in there with enough pressure to keep his trigger pin from working out....

The hammer spring keeps the trigger pin in place. Not the trigger spring.