View Full Version : M27 Finnish Mosin Question

03-22-2012, 1:44 PM
I just got a barreled action of an M27, with what seems to be a white filmy spot from a break-cleaner cleaning(as told by seller). I'm curious if I should just leave it as is, try to refurbish it, or re-finish it altogether and forsake the reselling value. Also, what options are there for stocks?

03-22-2012, 1:47 PM
Also the C&R subforum might get you more help

03-22-2012, 2:06 PM

03-22-2012, 3:20 PM
Put some coper bore solvent on it, good luck finding a non-existent used stock.

03-22-2012, 3:38 PM
Put some coper bore solvent on it, good luck finding a non-existent used stock.

They're rare to find, but I found a couple on eBay mislabeled as M91/30 stocks. You just need to study the photos at http://mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp.

Another option is to rework a 91/30 stock to fit. I have one that the Finns did this to. Requires some woodworking as the barrel is thicker, but entirely doable.

Josh Smith
03-22-2012, 8:58 PM

No, don't refinish a Finnish if you like the collector value.

If you plan to keep it as a shooter, do whatever you'd like to it to pretty it up!

Personally, I like the 91/30s to play with and the Finnish rifles as collectors. The most I believe I'd do to any Finnish Mosin is iron some dents from the stock.

03-23-2012, 6:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll give the copper bore cleaner a look, should be some at the local store I think.

Thanks for the tip on the 91/30 stock conversion, I may try that one for fun.

I agree Josh, that refinishing it would be too sad, but this blotch is ugly as sin, and I do want to make this a shooter without ruining its historical character.