PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 - worth a look for a new shooter?

dust feeder
03-21-2012, 8:08 PM
I'm a somewhat new shooter (~2 years experience) and have been wanting to p/u a .308 for a while.

I came across a used Savage Model 10 today (sorry, no pics) with a heavy 24" bull barrel. It doesn't have any other markings or lettering to specify a specific models, but I'd guess its older. No accu-trigger.

I know this isn't a great description but can anyone give me some feedback on this what it probably is? It appears to be in good condition. What might one of you pay for something like this?

Or, maybe point me in the right direction as to what to look for? Year of manufacture? serial number?

It looks tempting but just looking for some background info.

Thanks!

Divernhunter
03-21-2012, 8:22 PM
I would not worry. Savage rifles are very good. They tend to be one of the most accurate rifles out of the box you can buy. They are right after Tikka and T/C bolt actions. If you like it, it fits you, is priced right then buy it. A bull barrel will not be good for most big game hunting

dust feeder
03-21-2012, 8:37 PM
I would not worry. Savage rifles are very good. They tend to be one of the most accurate rifles out of the box you can buy. They are right after Tikka and T/C bolt actions. If you like it, it fits you, is priced right then buy it. A bull barrel will not be good for most big game hunting

I know the bull barrel is a bit heavier thus being more of a pita to carry around hunting, but is there anything else that makes it not good for hunting?

pat4wd
03-21-2012, 8:42 PM
not a damn thing.. Take a crap and that will make up for the extra pound or 2 that the barrel weighs

ECVMatt
03-21-2012, 8:47 PM
24" inches is a bit long for a .308 hunting rifle, however I have friends that hunt with similar models and don't mind the weight and length of the target/sniper type rifles. I use a HB when I am predator hunting in open land and it is not too bad. I would not want to carry one in the mountains though.

For a first rifle the weight would be a good thing though. It will reduce recoil and let you focus on the basics of rifle marksmanship.

The same rifle in .223 would also be a great choice. You would have no recoil, cheap ammo, and be able to practice out to 500 yards or so. The down side of the .223 is the limitations it puts on the ability to hunt.

I think you are on the right track for a starter rifle.

dust feeder
03-22-2012, 7:24 AM
Approx. when did savage adopt the accu-trigger? I'm still trying to figure out exactly what model this is and about how old it is.

Did savage ever make just a straight model 10? Now there area about 12 different models. FCM,FCP, FCP-K, FP-SR, BA, Predator….

This model doesn't say anything other than "model 10" on the barrel

Dirtbiker
03-22-2012, 7:36 AM
In 1998, Savage re-engineered the short action Model 110 and adopted a new model numbering scheme to differentiate short action models from the long actions. Thus, the short action Model 110 became the Model 10, while the long action model remained the Model 110. (Google is your friend)

dust feeder
03-22-2012, 8:19 AM
Dirtbiker - I'll honestly tell you, I googled the **** out of this before even posting here but couldn't find anything conclusive. Everything I found pointed me towards new rifles that were all differentiated with the lettering after the model number, which doesn't tell me much about this one.

Thanks for the info though. I knew about the short action vs. long action 2 and3 digit numbers but didn't know it that was only instituted in '98. Now I know it's at least newer than '98.

I think I might go ahead with this one. I'll post pics it (not my whole collection :innocent:) if I do

Dirtbiker
03-22-2012, 8:33 AM
Dirtbiker - I'll honestly tell you, I googled the **** out of this before even posting here but couldn't find anything conclusive. Everything I found pointed me towards new rifles that were all differentiated with the lettering after the model number, which doesn't tell me much about this one.

Thanks for the info though. I knew about the short action vs. long action 2 and3 digit numbers but didn't know it that was only instituted in '98. Now I know it's at least newer than '98.

I think I might go ahead with this one. I'll post pics it (not my whole collection :innocent:) if I do

I googled Savage model 10 history. I was curious myself as I have an older 110 in .223. Great simple rifle with lots of aftermarket support.

dust feeder
03-22-2012, 8:48 AM
ahhhhh! Now Im kicking myself! "History" was the key word I was missing

Divernhunter
03-22-2012, 9:10 AM
I remember years ago when if you bought a savage rifle it came one way. It was blued(no SS) with a plain jane wood stock. They were not a "good looking" rifle but they did shoot well. That is why some people still have a poor attitude about savage rifles. They have come along way since then. You can also thank savage for forcing the other companies(read rem/win/browning) to improve their triggers. Some people put down the accra-trigger when it came out but it has proved to be a real excellent trigger and force the other manufactures to make safe better triggers. No more 15lb triggers "due to lawyers".
I would not carry a bull barrel when hunting(usually mountains) but then I am much older that I use to be. Plus they are a pain to shoot offhand. Long ago I did carry my 223 hunting and shot a dog and a deer with it offhand. But only once then went back to a lighter rifle.

dust feeder
03-22-2012, 3:12 PM
Well, I did it! It came with a Leupold scope and rings and Harris bipod so I figured I couldn't go wrong for 450.

Now I just gotta wait 29 days since the seller just brought it into the store yesterday. Ouch!!!!!

ECVMatt
03-22-2012, 5:12 PM
Sounds like you got a great deal! That sucks about the wait. At least you will have plenty of time to learn about the rifle, buy ammo, targets....etc...

Have fun with that rifle when you get it.

NeilM
04-19-2012, 3:21 PM
congrats! pls post some pics to help identify the rifle model. Thanks.

sharxbyte
04-19-2012, 7:43 PM
*drool* excellent deal!