PDA

View Full Version : Norinco MC5D

pigncat
03-21-2012, 6:29 PM
Hi,
I understand the Norinco SKS-M that accepts AK magazine is considered AW and can not be sold in California. How about the Norinco MC5D. It is very similar to SKS-M. Is this legal in CA?

Moonshine
03-21-2012, 6:42 PM
You sir, have a very interesting question that will likely take an attorney to address. I believe the MC-5D is an SKS type gun but does "SKS with detachable magazine" extend itself to a "series weapon" such as the AK-47 and AR-15 do?

Off the top of my head I would say "yes it would be an AW" and get a SAIGA but further legal research would be interesting as having an SKS with a detachable magazine is one of the ultimate evils in California... we're talkin more evil than an AK-47 :TFH:!!!

Quiet
03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Unless you have $$$$$ on hand to fight an unregistered assault weapon charge, do not import/possess a SKS type rifle that is manufactured to use AK magazines in CA.

Penal Codes 30710, 30715, 30720, 30725, 30730 & 30735 were created specifically to deal with the "SKS Sporter" (SKS type rifles that are manufactured to use AK magazines).

In 1991, a distributor asked CA DOJ if the "SKS Sporter" (Chinese made SKS type rifles that were manufactured to use AK magazines) were banned under the Roberti-Roos AWB of 1989 as "SKS with detachable magazine". CA DOJ said they did not and were CA legal.

The "SKS Sporter" was then legally sold in CA from 1992-1997. Average price was around $400.

In 1998, CA DOJ reversed their decision and declared that the "SKS Sporter" was indeed a "SKS with detachable magazine" and everyone who now possesed one was in possession of an unregistered assault weapon.

CA residents complained to their legislators, who then passed laws that granted those who possessed the rifles a time period that granted them immunity from prosecution until they disposed of the rifles.

During 1998-1999, CA residents were allowed to surrender those rifles to CA DOJ and recieved $230 in compensation for CA DOJ's "mistake".

After 01-01-2000, possession of those rifles equated to possessing an unregistered assault weapon.

Bottom line:
DO NOT IMPORT/POSSESS A SKS TYPE RIFLE THAT IS MANUFACTURED TO USE AK MAGAZINES IN CA.

These are no-go in CA.
http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/contracosta/FaxAlerts/skssport.JPG