PDA

View Full Version : Question about legality of AR-15 converted to 22LR w/10 round mag

AR-Matey
03-21-2012, 2:19 PM
I am considering a private purchase in CA of an early 60's Colt AR-15 Sporter which has been converted to 22LR / 10 round mag set up.

Before I pony up the cash for this rifle I wanted to ask here to confirm that this weapon is actually CA legal. It does not have any mods for magazine changes similar to the CA legal FAR-15. But does this matter since it is firing 22LR?

There are no other mods or add-ons to the weapon. Everything else is original and stock.

If it is legal in CA is it still classified as an Assault Weapon?

I would think that it would be just a larger version of the CA legal AR-7 with this mod, which also fires 22LR from 10 round mags semi auto, but I am ignorant of the specific laws regarding this mod to an AR-15 in CA.

Any insight from the experts is greatly appreciated.

Tank 57
03-21-2012, 4:11 PM
I am not positive,but I think the lower itself is considered an "assault weapon" by California.I'm sure someone more knowlegable will chime in and clarify.

Merc1138
03-21-2012, 4:14 PM
If the rollmark on that colt lower is named, no you cannot bring it to CA. In fact, the owner wouldn't even be able to sell it to you, and even worse if it's not a RAW the current owner might be in some deep doodoo.

I wouldn't get near this with a 10ft. pole.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

You'll find Colt: Sporter (all) listed in appendix B. The only reason the newer colts are ok is because they say SP instead of Sporter(yeah, the laws are that dumb).

3GunFunShooter
03-21-2012, 4:26 PM
RUN TIMMY RUN, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

ke6guj
03-21-2012, 5:21 PM
If the rollmark on that colt lower is named, no you cannot bring it to CA. In fact, the owner wouldn't even be able to sell it to you, and even worse if it's not a RAW the current owner might be in some deep doodoo.

I wouldn't get near this with a 10ft. pole.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

You'll find Colt: Sporter (all) listed in appendix B. The only reason the newer colts are ok is because they say SP instead of Sporter(yeah, the laws are that dumb).
yup, the flowchart covers it.

The rimfire question is specifically asked after the appendix questions because the "name ban" applies to rimfire rifles as well a centerfire rifles.

AR-Matey
03-23-2012, 8:53 AM
Thanks folks. I had nagging doubts, which is why I wanted to ask here. I am glad I did. I am not brave or foolish enough to risk the wrath of Kalifornia.

Just goes to show you, just because someone owns it and tells you it is legal, does not make it so. This forum is a real asset