PDA

View Full Version : Does a private seller in other state need FFL to ship firearm to Cali?

peppermintman
03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
There's an AK in another state that a private seller has I want buy but don't like sending money directly to him. He says he's a private seller and will sen I'D. Doesn't he need FFL to send it to my FFL??? :confused:

CHS
03-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Nope.

Firearms can be shipped BY anyone TO either an FFL or the original owner.

Librarian
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
... but be sure the receiving CA-FFL is on board before sending anything there. Some prefer NOT to accept guns shipped from non-FFLs, and that's a legal business practice.

AlliedArmory
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Nope.

Firearms can be shipped BY anyone TO either an FFL or the original owner.

... but be sure the receiving CA-FFL is on board before sending anything there. Some prefer NOT to accept guns shipped from non-FFLs, and that's a legal business practice.

Sound advice from both.

peppermintman
03-21-2012, 7:59 PM

Now that's what my FFL said. what's up with this guy???

rromeo
03-21-2012, 8:08 PM
Your FFL said he prefers not to receive from non-licensees? What's up with which guy?
Due to the type of rifle being discussed, you could cause some potential problems if it isn't configured legally before it's shipped to California. That's one reason many FFLs prefer to only receive from FFLs.
Even if tge seller was sending from an FFL, wouldn't you be sending money directly to him?

paul0660
03-21-2012, 8:22 PM
It sounds like the OP would like a sending FFL to be an escrow holder. I don't think that is how it works, not sure.

I want buy but don't like sending money directly to him.