PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the CA Appleseeders?

V
03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Its gone very quiet in here?

Penny's Dad asked a good question but in the wrong forum sub-board? :)

How do we get all the friends of California Appleseed talking together, arranging meetups, organizing more shoots at more ranges, getting people to support each other in becoming instructors/volunteers to help grow spread the word.

Is there any promotion going on for the April 19th shoots this year (It will be on the April 21-22 weekend this year.)

Anyone got any suggestions. Mine is stay on this calguns Appleseed forum and think of it as just friends (internet buddies) co-ordinating range days/meetups around AS dates.

Ideas?

Anyone who's been to a California Appleseed in the last few years, what would make you come again, bringing friends who haven't been before with you this time?

Cheers
V

Neezer
03-21-2012, 7:58 AM
The April Appleseed at Chabot has been sold out for 2 months now... I was just thinking that I would love to bring new people, but its hard to make plans when you don't know if spots will be available.

ccandgc
03-21-2012, 8:09 AM
Going to my 4th AS in Escondido 4/1, as a shooter this time. If they could get that stupid Eventbrite site working correctly might actually help out.

KnowFear
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
As an engineer, with all the "people skills" normally associated with my profession, I will not be doing a lot of effective marketing or instructing. In regard to working with people, if you want to offend the adults, and make the children cry, then I'm your man :)

However, I am interested in providing support to you front line folks, and I suspect that there are a fair number of supporters like me.

Right now, I am giving a go at improving the sound system in my local region. The existing bullhorn system works, but is a bit awkward and hard on the people that have to use it to overcome the noise at public ranges. I am working on something that will make life easier for y'all that actually staff and run the events.

Why not a "green hat" or "event support" sub forum on the AS sight? A place where problems that need to be overcome, and solutions to common problems can be posted... If I/we come up with a nice cheap solution to a sound system, I would be happy to post the details (here and on the AS sight) and/or gather the required equipment, test it, and send it off to interested regions.

Just my $0.02...

Eljay
03-21-2012, 7:19 PM
The April Appleseed at Chabot has been sold out for 2 months now... I was just thinking that I would love to bring new people, but its hard to make plans when you don't know if spots will be available.

Heh - that's what I was thinking as well, and the one after that's in June and it's about half full already.

Eljay
03-21-2012, 7:25 PM
Penny's Dad asked a good question but in the wrong forum sub-board? :)

What specifically are you talking about? I searched for his recent posts and they all seem to be involved with some kind of CRPA drama, not Appleseed.

V
03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
What specifically are you talking about? I searched for his recent posts and they all seem to be involved with some kind of CRPA drama, not Appleseed.

He posted on the AS site... I was partially trying an experiment to see which boards get more reads/replies, this Calguns Appleseed board or the AS California Board.

So by my read of this board, we have Chabot going great guns (excuse the pun, and be careful with my bullhorn ;-) ) and 1 in Escondido... where's the rest of California? Over the last 3 years I have held shoots all over this state, from Dulzura in the south to Red Bluff in the north, trained dozens of instructors at Instructor Boot Camps. Where'd everyone go? How can we get everyone back together again?

Cheers
V
PS have a great time in Chabot, its a great team up there.

Rock6.3
03-22-2012, 5:50 AM
I'll be at an event at the new Appleseed venue in Hat Creek California in the pine trees of Shasta County on April 21 weekend.

as_rocketman
03-22-2012, 8:45 AM
We have a pretty good thing going over in Azusa. I also know the Corona shoots have been packed.

West End Gun Club over by Glen Helen had an interruption, but they're back on the calendar.

Next month is the big hullabaloo. Hope folks are signing up early because the April 19th weekend is always a big one.

Eljay
03-22-2012, 7:33 PM
He posted on the AS site... I was partially trying an experiment to see which boards get more reads/replies, this Calguns Appleseed board or the AS California Board.

Ah. I read the AARs over there every couple of weeks, just because they're often fun, but there never seems to be much going on in the other subforums I can actually read over there.

Scott1600
03-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Lots of shy folks lurking, or just nobody home? I'm generally on the shy side, but I have noticed the apparent inactivity as well.

pennys dad
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
umm, the Appleseeders are here and not on the Appleseed site?

ccandgc
03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
There is a lot more going on here :D

GJC
03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
I plan on being at the Dulzura, CA - Sep 29-30 Appleseed with at least two new shooters. :)

pennys dad
03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
There is a lot more going on here :D

:D I am happily confused and happily confused :)

I am going to remind Appleseeders about both boards

PurplePeople
03-23-2012, 1:25 PM

We should have some walk-on spots for Saturday (only) at the April Chabot shoot, which would work fine for your new people. Unusually, we had Sunday sell out first, probably due to repeat shooters, and there's no way given the limits of the reservation system for me to take Saturday-only reservations.

So if you/they are interested, here's an offer - PM me the names & particulars (male/female/youth, T-shirt size, shooting experience) and I'll give them pre-registered instead of walk-on rates at the shoot on Saturday.

Given the usual rate of Saturday->Sunday no-shows, it's fairly likely they/you could also walk-on for Sunday, but no promises.

PurplePeople aka 'Nero' @ AS

PurplePeople
03-23-2012, 1:40 PM
So by my read of this board, we have Chabot going great guns (excuse the pun, and be careful with my bullhorn ...

Dave - aka KnowFear up there - is a EE by trade and the one working on a sound system for Chabot. He has decided that vivisection of your bullhorn is not useful/necessary - will do a scratch build instead - but it still needs a trigger job.

:gunsmilie: Stereo!

KnowFear
03-23-2012, 3:11 PM
I found myself worrying about draggin' wood when keying the bullhorn microphone :)

pennys dad
03-24-2012, 6:09 PM
I found myself worrying about draggin' wood when keying the bullhorn microphone :)

Hahahaha, that is awesome! Remember to keep that finger on the activator switch ;)

pennys dad
03-24-2012, 6:13 PM

So by my read of this board, we have Chabot going great guns (excuse the pun, and be careful with my bullhorn ;-) ) and 1 in Escondido... where's the rest of California? Over the last 3 years I have held shoots all over this state, from Dulzura in the south to Red Bluff in the north, trained dozens of instructors at Instructor Boot Camps. Where'd everyone go? How can we get everyone back together again?

Cheers
V
PS have a great time in Chabot, its a great team up there.

V, your thought and concern makes me want to work harder. I just need some help and direction.

easy
03-25-2012, 2:17 PM
Wher's the rest of CA...?

Want more than two 'local' shoots per year(Lemoore). Maybe here in the flatlands there isn't much interest for some folks. But having the flexablity for scheduling would be nice.

Last one I attended made for long days and traveling to some other location doesn't cut it. While some might think that the Fresno shoot would be doable, add two or more hours for travel to/from each day, meals, gas, wepons cleaning, sleep, etc. It adds up pretty quick.

stacym
03-25-2012, 8:02 PM
Enjoyed my first Appleseed this weekend (Sacramento). Got my patch too! :)

pennys dad
03-25-2012, 8:29 PM
Enjoyed my first Appleseed this weekend (Sacramento). Got my patch too! :)

Nice! and welcome.

echo6cavedog
03-28-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I signed up for the Rainbow shoot, Jun 2-3. :61:

Smidge
03-30-2012, 9:25 AM
I went to my first AS in Feb in Santa Barbara and was stoked. I have been telling people about it and it looks like 4 of them will be at the next one. Went to the AS forum after the event and even posted. Not much activity so have not been back, but I will check it out again. Thanks to all the instructors keep up the good work.

pennys dad
03-31-2012, 1:44 PM
Hey Smidge, who was your shoot boss? Do you rememeber?

Quinc
04-02-2012, 4:54 PM
Any shoots planned near Red Bluff anytime soon?

PurplePeople
04-02-2012, 7:38 PM
Any shoots planned near Red Bluff anytime soon?

There are shoots at Hat Creek (NE of Red Bluff) on April 21-22 and June 30/July 1:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27687.0

Red Bluff itself had one in February, next one is all the way out in November :( :
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27096.0

Rock6.3
04-02-2012, 7:48 PM
Quince, PurplePeople is correct. Next Red Bluff is way out in November because the facility schedule had no room for more events this year.

But Hat Creek is in the pine trees, 10 miles past Burney with free onsite camping (no fires permitted, cook stoves are allowed, and there are charcoal grills onsite).

And I'll be there all weekend :)

Smidge
04-03-2012, 6:19 AM
Hey Smidge, who was your shoot boss? Do you rememeber?

Cant remember there real names. It was a husband and wife and her AS name is Marpat Pipi. They did a great job. Also had Edgar, Debbie and Silent Pea. There were two others that were very helpful but cant remember their names.

I was thinking dont put too much into how busy the forum boards are. I have lots of friends who dont even know what a forum is. Its the same with fishing forums some of the most active talented people dont go to forums its just not their deal.

If there are any Appleseeders in the SB area that want to hook up and do some shooting send me a PM. I just downloaded the AS AQT timer ap and am heading up to Winchester today for some shootin.

roushstage2
04-03-2012, 1:11 PM
I'd love to go to one, and bring part of the family along, but I have one of those weird jobs where I work all weekend and am off in the middle of the week. Though, [only] going to Sac Valley on "Members Only" days is pretty nice :D

CriticallyStressed
04-03-2012, 1:38 PM
My wife and I signed up to take the June class in Sacramento.

ejhc11
04-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Going to the April 14-15 Corona Appleseed for the first time, anyone here going?