PDA

View Full Version : So someone fired a 30-06 with a .300 WM rifle...

Peter W Bush
03-20-2012, 7:29 PM
A friend of a friend fired a 30-06 cartridge out of his Sako 300 Win Mag. My friend brought by the case to check out.. Wow.. almost looks fire formed lol. He is sending the rifle to a smith for inspection. I would imagine the 300 WM chamber and reciever can handle the pressure but then again, I'm not a gunsmith. Any thoughts on whether or not the rifle was damaged? The case sure was!

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af148/pjarjour/16341410.jpg

tgriffin
03-20-2012, 7:42 PM
Rifle should be fine. And ddddaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnn!

CHS
03-20-2012, 7:59 PM
I doubt there's anything wrong with the rifle. Since the case blew out, the chamber NEVER saw anything close to .300WM pressures. You'd only have a problem if you went above those pressures.

I'd say just keep shooting with that rifle.

SmokingSam
03-20-2012, 8:00 PM
Definitely check by a gunsmith in case the chamber got any damage although I suspect no problems. Check for any brass pieces in the barrel.

Did he just forget and put a 30-06 in a 300WM?

tujungatoes
03-20-2012, 8:02 PM
Your friend didn't know the difference between a 300win mag and a 30-06?...:facepalm:

The rifle should be fine. I bet he never makes that mistake again.

supersonic
03-20-2012, 8:04 PM
Holy Mother of GOD and BABY JESUS!!!!! Now THAT is MF'ing FIREFORMING for all of you "ballistically-challenged" out there!! Personally, I would only fire that rifle in a normal (closely-held) fashion only after the chamber (at LEAST) and the bolt were MPC-tested or Magna-Fluxed. Other than that, I would take it to an empty range, secure the rifle to a rest, and fire the first couple of rounds with a string tied to the trigger. About 10 feet of string, that is. Oh, and this time I would make damn SURE I had 300MAG in that poor thing. But I am pretty damn positive that steel is perfectly intact because of the obvious operating pressure differences here. Luckily, a less-powerful round was the "surprise.":p

EDIT: Hey, I KNOW we aren't fortunate enough to have had a cellphone video camera goin' when this thing detonated, but could you get a detailed description by anyone who was there (hopefully the shooter) about what the "experience" was exactly like???:tt1: (I bet this "friend of a friend" will never NOT do a visual or rub his fingertips around the caseheads of each and every cartridge to check for the belt after this "mishap.";)

Peter W Bush
03-20-2012, 8:15 PM
Your friend didn't know the difference between a 300win mag and a 30-06?...:facepalm:

The rifle should be fine. I bet he never makes that mistake again.

LOL worse.. His relative gave him the beautiful stainless steel Sako and a few boxes of ammo- some 300 WM, some 30-06, etc. He just assumed the 30-06 was for the Sako :eek:

God I want that rifle.. What a beautiful hunting arm

five.five-six
03-20-2012, 8:16 PM
this is why you always wear eye protection

supersonic
03-20-2012, 8:22 PM
LOL worse.. His relative gave him the beautiful stainless steel Sako and a few boxes of ammo- some 300 WM, some 30-06, etc. He just assumed the 30-06 was for the Sako :eek:

God I want that rifle.. What a beautiful hunting arm

Yeah, Finnish Steel (just like British Steel;)) are of such high quality, I'm sure this thing was proofed at twice the "fire-forming pressure" before it left the factory. Sako does make one helluva rifle. Their QC standards are atmospheres above and beyond what Remington could even dream of.

tujungatoes
03-20-2012, 8:24 PM
He just assumed the 30-06 was for the Sako :eek:

what was that line? something like "assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups."

How many decades before you stop giving him sh*t about it?:D

GettoPhilosopher
03-20-2012, 8:28 PM
I saw a guy do something similar with his buddy's .30-06 bolt gun at Angeles. His buddy got confused and pulled ammo out of the .308 can and loaded it into the .30-06. A couple weird sounding shots later, the guy came over to check his gun and noticed the blown out brass.

Oops. xP

CHS
03-20-2012, 8:57 PM
At a Calguns shoot a few years back a guy fired 5.56 in a 7.62x39 AK. At a Calguns Shoot'n'que just a couple years later a totally different guy did the EXACT SAME THING.

At another coworkers shoot one guy put a 9mm through one of our guys' .40. The amazing thing about that one is the Sig slide picked up the 9 out of the mag just fine and was able to align the base of the cartridge with the firing pin in the right place. Heh.

Anyways, in all these cases the gun was just fine.

Fjold
03-20-2012, 9:12 PM
Back around 2004 Sako/tikka had a whole bunch of castrophic barrel failures from poor quality stainless barrels.

Peter W Bush
03-21-2012, 1:14 PM
Back around 2004 Sako/tikka had a whole bunch of castrophic barrel failures from poor quality stainless barrels.

This is an 85 Finnlight... It's possible it was made in 2004 but I'm not sure.

paul0660
03-21-2012, 1:18 PM
Seems to me the 06 would have been rattling around the chamber, and only held by the extractor, if that. That is one heck of a sensitive primer, if so.

toby
03-21-2012, 3:46 PM
This is an 85 Finnlight... It's possible it was made in 2004 but I'm not sure.

Ive seen two of those...:eek:
other than that this happens a lot and the gun should be OK but the shooter should be checked out or ***** slapped either one! I bought a 7mm Mauser that came with a box of cartridges and spent cases, but when opening the box I saw the cartridges had been fired in a 7mm Mag and not the 7mm Mauser. Someone messed up!

Peter W Bush
03-21-2012, 4:20 PM
Ive seen two of those...:eek:
other than that this happens a lot and the gun should be OK but the shooter should be checked out or ***** slapped either one! I bought a 7mm Mauser that came with a box of cartridges and spent cases, but when opening the box I saw the cartridges had been fired in a 7mm Mag and not the 7mm Mauser. Someone messed up!

I might meet the shooter today for the first time. I can't wait to hear what he says lol. I really want that rifle lol

Peter W Bush
03-22-2012, 7:54 AM
So here's how it happened.

30-06 looked like it was the right size even though it didn't sit right in the magazine. He thought 300 win mag was the model number.

robtech
03-22-2012, 11:11 AM
^^lol

ke6guj
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
At a Calguns shoot a few years back a guy fired 5.56 in a 7.62x39 AK. At a Calguns Shoot'n'que just a couple years later a totally different guy did the EXACT SAME THING.but didn't the Russians do that on purpose, that they could use our ammo in their AKs, but we couldn't use their ammo in ours:confused:

At another coworkers shoot one guy put a 9mm through one of our guys' .40. The amazing thing about that one is the Sig slide picked up the 9 out of the mag just fine and was able to align the base of the cartridge with the firing pin in the right place. Heh.

Anyways, in all these cases the gun was just fine.
I've seen it work with .40 ammo in a .45 1911 as well.

Knife Edge
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
A friend of a friend fired a 30-06 cartridge out of his Sako 300 Win Mag. My friend brought by the case to check out.. Wow.. almost looks fire formed lol. He is sending the rifle to a smith for inspection. I would imagine the 300 WM chamber and reciever can handle the pressure but then again, I'm not a gunsmith. Any thoughts on whether or not the rifle was damaged? The case sure was!

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af148/pjarjour/16341410.jpg

I did not know one could fire form 300 Win Mag from 30-06! Learn something every day.

CHS
03-22-2012, 12:50 PM
but didn't the Russians do that on purpose, that they could use our ammo in their AKs, but we couldn't use their ammo in ours:confused:

Hahahaha, every time I hear that bogus myth from newbies I want to start punching.

fighterpilot562
03-22-2012, 1:12 PM
man ppl need to be a bit more careful what they feed into there guns

r3dn3ck
03-22-2012, 1:24 PM
years ago I grab a .270 lever gun of mine from a buddy of mine who says it won't shoot right. I pull the lever and out pops a .243 winchester case with the neck split and formed to the shoulder angle of a .270. We only bring 1 calibre of rifle to the range at a time now.

Peter W Bush
03-22-2012, 2:21 PM
man ppl need to be a bit more careful what they feed into there guns

The best part is... THIS WASN'T EVEN HIS GUN! :facepalm:

It was his (very) rich uncle's gun. The uncle let him borrow it for a shooting trip. I overheard him telling our mutual friend that it was his uncle's fault for having 30-06 ammo at his house or something. "I thought 300 win mag was the model number" is a line I will never forget lol

d4v0s
03-22-2012, 2:40 PM
I had a buddy that was having problems loading 44 magnum bullets into his lever action. They would drop in and fire just fine. But they wouldn't cycle out of the tube.

YUP, it was a 444 marlin lever action and my other buddy ended up having to take the whole thing down after one round got wedged really good in the action.

I sometimes cant believe this stuff happens. Thats why new shooters need supervision.

ARFAN
03-22-2012, 3:27 PM
I accidently shot .308 in my 30-06 rifle for 2 rds. Lucky, it is fine and nothing wrong happened :eek: the case neck expanded totally. The rifle is still working fine