PDA

View Full Version : Alright guys, recieved my lower, bought my upper. Anything else I need?

The1stWright
03-20-2012, 4:06 PM
First here are the specs on my lower.

Lower Receiver:
Forged 7075-T6 Aluminum
Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black
Bullet Button™ Magazine Release installed on lowers sold where required.
Standard Magazine Release installed on lowers sold where legally eligible.
Specialized Tension Screw - Eliminates Upper/Lower Play
Franklin Armory Custom Tuned Trigger
Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
Magpul MOE Grip

Magazine:
Magpul Pmag 10/20 Standard for Restricted States
Magpul Pmag 20 rd Standard for Unrestricted States
Durable Polymer Construction
Anti-Tilt Follower

Stock:
Magpul MOE Stock
Reinforced Six Position Collapsible
Multiple Rear SLing Mount Positions
Rubber Buttpad Provides Positive Shoulder Purchase
Aluminum Carbine Length Receiver Extension

Additional Features:
Comprehensive Safety Manual
California Certified Cable Lock

Options:
I Inscribed "California Model"

Alright fellas so I recieved my lower today and just purchased a complete upper from a guy who hand builds them in LA.

Here are the specs

M4A3 Flat Top

• 5.56 Chamber Chrome Molly with a 1/9,
DID YOU KNOW: Uppers chambered in .223 with 1/7 twist cannot safely or accurately handle 5.56 -Most vendors and shops lie about their uppers and barrels or hide this fact from us... 1/7 is fad based on misinformation, but I do build them because some people are just hung up on it?
citadel, zombie tactical, dpms or yhm barresl used.

• Aero Precision Upper M4A3
• M4 Feed Ramps
• Free Float
• Quad Rail
• YHM Gas system
• YHM Muzzle Phantom Flash Hider
• Complete BCG, Bolt Carrier Group;
• Charging Handle
• Forward Assist
• Dust Cover
• Shell Deflector
• American Flag emblem engraving not too loud just right

Here's some of the quality checks he does to ensure they work properly

• Barrel Nut staged torque started at 45 foot pound, aligned gas ports in barrel nut at 66 Foot Pound
• Used Go no Go
• Barrel Head Spaced Checked
• Bolt Carrier Group Head Spaced Checked
• Gas System/Key Properly Staked Sealed
• Tested Gas System with Pressure Push while blocking the Barrel
• Obviously Test Fired 3 Rounds, clean Ammo cleaned with correct solvents and tools zero signs of use.
• Stripped Manufactured by YHM
• Forged, Mil-spec A3 flat top upper
• White T-marked, numbered
• American Flag emblem engraving
• Manufactured using 7075 T6 aircraft-grade aluminum
• M4 feed ramp cuts
• Hard Anodized in Dark Black
• Quality 100% Made in the U.S.A

I have been building rifles for 10+ years. This is my hobby and pride. I build in a shop, not a home. I apply all torque values and specs. I test all uppers and systems. I use the correct tools. I guarantee Fit, Function and Satisfaction. This is not in any way a failed project or some regret build.

Ask ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU WANT. Even if its technical advice on your project. I also teach people how to assemble, trouble shoot and repair rifles, FOR FREE.

These are great uppers; these are not the typical online uppers. They are 100% instant tactical upgrades.
NO assembly, modification, headspacing or headaches needed;

He also threw in a M16 BCG instead of the normal AR15 BCG.

I then ordered a RVG railed vertical grip and Magpul MBUS Gen 2 sight system. Is there anything i'm missing?

Arkangel
03-20-2012, 4:34 PM
Ammo ;)

Yemff
03-20-2012, 4:41 PM
These are great uppers; these are not the typical online uppers. They are 100% instant tactical upgrades.
NO assembly, modification, headspacing or headaches needed;

He also threw in a M16 BCG instead of the normal AR15 BCG.

:confused:

Steelheader
03-20-2012, 5:28 PM
Ammo ;)

Lots of ammo!

pacifico23
03-20-2012, 5:42 PM
Wait.... You teach people how to build rifles, but not sure what else you need to finish your rifle? I'm also curious... The Aero Precision upper, what is it a tactical upgrade from?.... A colt? Heh. Either way congrats on your new rifle! Nothing like building your own!!

Personally I would add a sling attachment, ammo, and a VTAC sling.

glock7
03-20-2012, 5:47 PM
Unless I missed it I didn't see an lpk.

glock7
03-20-2012, 5:49 PM
Never mind. I see what you did...:)

glock7
03-20-2012, 5:50 PM
Hmm, my 1:7 handles 5.56 safely and nicely. Any proof in the pudding?

The1stWright
03-20-2012, 6:09 PM
I copied and pasted what the flyer said I received. Sorry for the misunderstanding this is my first AR just wanted to see if I was missing something.

TKM
03-20-2012, 6:13 PM
Don't believe anything you read.

Except for that.

nitroxdiver
03-20-2012, 6:17 PM
A USGI sling, lots of ammo, a shooting mat, and a ticket to the next Appleseed event in your neck of the woods. There you will learn to shoot your new beauty in the 3 positions, learn about iron sights, and a little bit of American history as well.
Have fun, sounds like a nice build.

jbush
03-21-2012, 6:18 AM
I didn't know retailer and vendors lie about ok to use 5.56 in a .223. Thought that was common knowledge not to. I've heard my LGS explain that to noobs alot. Enjoy the rifle, sounds nice.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
03-21-2012, 8:43 AM
:useless:

Sorry, finally had my chance to use that one.

corcoraj2002
03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
I didn't know retailer and vendors lie about ok to use 5.56 in a .223. Thought that was common knowledge not to. I've heard my LGS explain that to noobs alot. Enjoy the rifle, sounds nice.

He said can not, this is a cut and paste of information the OP got from the vendors.

Exdc
03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Ammo ;)
Yup.
Lots of ammo!
Mhmm. Good ammo though. I'm learning the hard way that if you use bad ammo, you get bad results. Eventually though, my goal is for my rifle to shoot whatever I put in it without issue.
Wait.... You teach people how to build rifles, but not sure what else you need to finish your rifle?
Just in case you didn't understand yet (and I mean this with the utmost respect) all of the information about the rifle was copied and pasted from either the an email, or the builder's website.
Hmm, my 1:7 handles 5.56 safely and nicely. Any proof in the pudding?
I believe that the builder was referring specifically to .223 rifles with a 1x7 twist, which retailers sometimes say is the same as a 5.56. I've come across it, and rather than calling them out, I just decided that I would go elsewhere to make my purchases. It wasn't worth an argument. I ended up building my upper from scratch, purchasing all the parts individually... in hindsight, might not have been the best idea. Still, I learned a LOT about how they go together, and even how the whole system functions. Overall the experience I gained made up for whatever extra I spent, and the couple poor quality pieces I bought (eventually I'll replace them, but they aren't critical to plinking function, so it's not top priority.)
:useless:

Sorry, finally had my chance to use that one.

Yes, please post some pictures. I'd love to see how your gun turned out! (: