PDA

View Full Version : Thought on the Remington 710 30-06

ptroxx
03-20-2012, 2:18 PM
OK so Im looking at getting the Remington 710 in a 30-06..
Trying to get a little feedback on the rifle..

Anyone own one that can give a review..

Thanks in advance..

bloodhawke83
03-20-2012, 2:50 PM
basically, if its not the 700 its cheap low end crap.

BayouBullets
03-20-2012, 6:24 PM
I decided NOT to buy one for a daughter two years ago after handling it. It just felt shoddy to me. I didn't like the feel of the action or the trigger. If you just want to save money and aren't worried about the gun being pretty, IMHO you'd be better off with the Marlin bolt actions (remarkably accurate for the price). The cheapest bolt rifle I've seen with good accuracy for hunting is the Mossberg ATR. The finish on them wear very easily,but they are easily 1.5 - 2 MOA guns.

ptroxx
03-20-2012, 6:46 PM
I decided NOT to buy one for a daughter two years ago after handling it. It just felt shoddy to me. I didn't like the feel of the action or the trigger. If you just want to save money and aren't worried about the gun being pretty, IMHO you'd be better off with the Marlin bolt actions (remarkably accurate for the price). The cheapest bolt rifle I've seen with good accuracy for hunting is the Mossberg ATR. The finish on them wear very easily,but they are easily 1.5 - 2 MOA guns.

Thank you this is what I was looking for in a review...I really dont want to break the bank on a gun im just going to go plink with.Im not a hunter so it would be more for plinking targets andwhat not...
I may look into the marlin. I have a marlin 60 22lr and wouldnt mind adding another marlin to the mix....Thanks again..

Peter W Bush
03-20-2012, 6:52 PM
I have one... Not great, not terrible. I would let it go for $250 but you would need to have someone weld the bolt handle back on lol

gun toting monkeyboy
03-20-2012, 6:52 PM
The short version: They are crap.

The long version: The 710 and it's successor the 770 are both low-end garbage that Remington put out to try to capture the entry-level rifle market. It worked well for a year or two, but then the reports started coming in of all kinds of problems. Basically they were made with cheap parts using a poor design. Lots of people bought them because they had the name "Remington" on them. And learned to regret it. It got so bad that they had to change the name from 710 to 770, but they didn't fix the problems, so it was the same thing with a different name.

If you are looking for an entry level hunting rifle, go with some of the other ones that have a better reputation. Savage/Stevens, Marlin, and even the new Mossbergs all offer solid rifles at a good price. Without being garbage like the 710/770.

-Mb

Divernhunter
03-20-2012, 6:56 PM
+1 for the garbage and getiing a savage/stevens/T/C bolt action/marlin or mossberg rifle. All are better than that cheap rem rifle.

ptroxx
03-23-2012, 7:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. What should I be paying for a 700
I have checked a few places and it seems they're all over the place in price.
I noticed a few on GB and they were about 300-400 each.

Thanks again for the help

Newshooter
03-23-2012, 7:57 PM
Check out the Savage combo with the accutrigger or the weatherby Vanguard. Both are really nice and reasonably priced. The other gun to check out is a Howa. Smooth action and good trigger. If you are just going to punch paper on the range, you may want to shoot a cheaper and smaller caliber.

Barbarossa
03-23-2012, 8:03 PM
I have yet to have any issue with my 710 in .30-06.

It brings down game.

jtv3062
03-23-2012, 8:06 PM
It was designed for somebody who would only shot it a few times a year during hunting season. Barrel is pressed in, nylon bolt sleeve does not make a gun for plinking.

osis32
03-23-2012, 8:10 PM
Shot one the bolt came all the way out half the time you'd eject a case. One of the worst guns I ever handled.

lrj812
03-23-2012, 8:27 PM
Look into the Marlin X7 line of bolt actions. I bought XS7 in 7mm 08 and have been very happy with accuracy and especially the trigger. Great value made in USA.

shafferds
03-24-2012, 3:48 AM
Its a POS - save up for a 700 or even go howa m1500.