PDA

View Full Version : Why does San Diego/So Cal suck for Compititions

diego-ted
03-20-2012, 6:33 AM
Like they do up in North Cali! Would like to do some bench shooting, and be able to shoot with a break, which you can not do with Santa Magarita events. You can not shoot Pendelton without them?

dlewis7
03-20-2012, 7:11 AM
You need to try pala. Matches every weekend. Great people!

http://www.ncsapala.com/

You need to become a member, but you can go check it out if you go w/ a member. I'd take you personally, but my next few weekends are going to be spent unpacking boxes. :(

EvoXRiley
03-20-2012, 8:43 AM
"competitions" :D just messin with ya!

mixicus
03-20-2012, 9:04 AM
I'm not getting why you'd think SoCal "sucks" for rifle competition. Is it how they're run or availability?

With 12-16 events each month from 5 different organizations off the top of my head, you can shoot some form of rifle almost every weekend and two matches on many weekends from a 2 hour travel window from Orange County. Here's some to look at:

WEGC has 4 matches across the month: high power silhouette, small bore silhouette, sigh power rifle and precision bolt action. www.wegc.org

North County Shootist Association at Pala has at least 3 every month varmint, high power and military bolt action. www.ncsapala.com

California Precision Rifle Club has a match just about monthly at the Angeles Shooting Ranges. www.caprc.com

Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club hosts NRA sanctioned national match and medium range matches almost every month, CMP Garand clinics and matches every other month and a tactical rifle match 4 times/year. www.brrc.com

Santa Margarita Gun Club runs 2 or 3 events every month at Pendleton. www.santamargaritagunclub.org

diego-ted
03-20-2012, 9:34 AM
I guess I ment for disciplines I would like to shoot, such as bench or any F class or Palma that allows a brake. I will hane to check out some of the sites you posted.

russ69
03-20-2012, 9:56 AM
I guess I ment for disciplines I would like to shoot, such as bench or any F class or Palma that allows a brake. I will hane to check out some of the sites you posted.

I would guess because in those disciplines brakes are against the rules. If other clubs allow them, the records should not be submitted.

icenix
03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Can't suck more than the Central Valley for anything. I love living here because we are central to everything, San Fran, LA, Sacramento, the beach, the mountains, the lakes, etc. Just wish we had some great local stuff too.

bcrich
03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Come shoot PBR at west end, Mark Archuleta doesnt prohibit brakes! As long as its not your 338.

killshot44
03-20-2012, 4:02 PM
We had shooters here from Canada and England two weeks ago and a guy from LA has driven up the last two weekends.
www.southwest.com ;)

milotrain
03-20-2012, 4:22 PM
There is a highpower match every weekend within a 1 hour drive from the metro LA area.

You crazy.

diego-ted
03-20-2012, 4:24 PM
We had shooters here from Canada and England two weeks ago and a guy from LA has driven up the last two weekends.
www.southwest.com ;)

LOL I might have to do that!! It would get kind of costly to do it regularly, same with Ontario and Burbank. Looks like I will just have to shoot without a brake and hit the Pendleton matches? I think the whole no brake rule is a dinosaur that needs to go extinct!!

Diego

milotrain
03-20-2012, 5:05 PM
Why do you need a brake?

diego-ted
03-20-2012, 7:55 PM
Why do you need a brake? I have an artificial shoulder and a brake helps with trauma; however, a brake has more benifits then hinderances. Why do you think they are so popular?

Diego

GettoPhilosopher
03-20-2012, 9:34 PM
www.southwest.com ;)

I'd love to try Sac Valley's events sometime....as soon as they stop advertising by calling everyone 'tards and telling them to get the gravel out of their vaginas. :)

milotrain
03-20-2012, 10:48 PM
I have an artificial shoulder and a brake helps with trauma; however, a brake has more benifits then hinderances. Why do you think they are so popular?

Diego
Often the NRA will make exceptions for certain physical cases. It's not so much that the brake has more benefits than hinderances for the shooter it's that it has only hinderances to the shooter next to you.

There was a guy at Angeles with some big bore thing that had a brake on it and it's report blew a page in my notebook... three positions down from him. It wasn't "fun".

WDE91
03-21-2012, 8:13 AM
He is like terminator and can take hits and keep on rolling

ScottB
03-21-2012, 8:42 AM
We have lost ranges at a steady clip over the years. The few that are left are far away, generally crowded and are typically limited to 200 yards with maybe a few slots out to 300 yards. Competitive opportunites are a function of the number of shooters availble locally.

I live in Orange County. When I was a kid, we had a full service gun club 20 minutes from my house - 450 yard big bore range with sillouettes, a larger outdoor pistol and smallbore range, 5 or 6 trap and skeet fields, Clubhouse, active hunter safety program, leagues, and junior competitions all in Irvine! I was there 2x/week. They were moved to the outskirts of town and then it became a 40 minute drive. Now its gone. That left Fish Canyon in Duarte - over an hour away. big bore only to 200 yards (a few 300 yard slots for club members), a few mostly unused trap and skeet fields and an outdoor pistol line. Still a decent place to squeeze a few off. Now we have Lytle Creek and Burro Canyon the better part of two hours away (as are the more LA-centric ranges), limited to 200 yards. Lytle has longer slots, but they are often closed). West End is private and a similar story and just a stones throw from Lytle. Pala is a little more than an hour away and does have 1,000 yard uphill range, but it really isn't available for independent or casual target shooting. Plus , pistol or shotgun facilities that I can recall and its pretty well booked. We had a tiny (2 fields) trap and Skeet range in San Clemente. That was close and I shot there often enough to achieve AA status and even win a club shoot once in awhile, but the Marines closed us down over a lead issue (that range predates their base and they have not closed their on-base range over the same issue). Inland Fish & Game in Highland is closed as well. So now I have Prado for shotgun, about an hour and $8 in road tolls away - just too far away for the evening league shoots. On Target is relatively close to me but expensive and indoors (blech!). For you guys who have not experienced a pleasant day at club with a good group of regulars, extensive outdoor range facilities, a comfortable place to take a break, relax and get something to eat and organized leagues

My point is, good shooters, like good anything, emerge when the facilities are available for regular use. We use to produce some of the best shooters in the world. The few ranges we have left are too far away from too many people and the pool of potentially good competitive shooters shrinks. People gravitate to the recreational opportunities that are available to them. Shooting has always been expensive, but when shooting becomes a hassle, folks move on other things.

This is not entirely accidental. Part of the effort to dissuade people from owning guns is to deny us the opportunity to use them. Urbanization and conservancy land grabs are taking care limiting the hunting. People using zoning and environmental laws are killing the ranges.

milotrain
03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
While far away it's not nearly as far as most people in the country travel for highpower matches. Almost everyone I talk to who isn't in Cali has to drive four hours for every match that isn't at their "home range".

Here we have the following full XTC ranges in SoCal for Highpower:
Ojai Valley Gun Club (First Weekend)
Burbank Rifle and Revolver Club (Second Weekend)
Desert Marksmen Rifle and Pistol Club (Third Weekend)
Santa Margarita Gun Club (Fourth Weekend)

Nearly all of these clubs shoot an XTC and a 3x600 match every month. Between the two you can have a full month of precision distance shooting to 600 yards every weekend on either Saturday or Sunday or both. Ojai is the furthest away from the OC and is only 2 hours away. Include the reduced course matches (in the case that you don't want to commit a whole day to shooting, or SWMBO commitments) and the number of matches nearly doubles. In SoCal we have NOTHING to complain about. Sure it'd be great to have more ranges but no-one anywhere else in the country has as much access as we do in the greater LA-SD area.