View Full Version : Who Can Give Me Sling AR Pistol Sling Advice?

03-19-2012, 9:53 PM
Hi all:

Disclaimer: I have never owned any kind of rifle sling so I am pretty unaware about how they work, best practices for using one, etc. I will soon be the owner of an AR15 pistol that is going to have an OAL of 26" so it isn't really a pistol, it is a "Firearm". It will have a Hogue grip handle, a Mako folding VFG and the standard AR pistol buffer tube, probably with the Exile Machine foam on it.

I have read others post about the importance of a sling, looked at a lot of slings and I am confused about which slings are the best for this specialized need. Single point mount, double point mount? Nylon web, woven paracord? What length do I need? How do I use it. It makes sense to me that I will have three points of contact (handgrip, VFG and cheek on buffer tube) but it sounds as if the fourth point of contact (a sling mount with a snugged up sling) would increase steadiness and therefore accuracy even more.

Have any of you AR15 pistol owners found the magic recipe for the type of sling that works best, keeping in mind that I will be using a pretty ridiculously long "pistol' but I will be gaining a VFG. 11" barrel and I am sure that with my Aimpont mounted, this thing will have some heft. That's okay, it's just a fun range toy, not an HD or mission critical weapon.

Are there any resources out there for learning how to best use a sling on a weapon like this that isn't really a rifle and isn't really a pistol?

03-20-2012, 7:20 AM
Interested in this as well. I'm working on a pistol build and bought myself a Magpul MS3 sling based on the reviews. Hopefully they work well together or that sling will just be thrown on my other AR.

03-20-2012, 7:35 AM
Any type of single point, and just push against it.

03-20-2012, 7:36 AM
Also, foregrips are a no no on pistols

gun toting monkeyboy
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Also, foregrips are a no no on pistols

(sigh) He specifically said that it will be over 26". The ATF said that it was just fine to put a forward grip on those. Franklin Armory is selling them like that over the counter at Turners.

As for a sling, I have found that the single point slings are only so-so for AR pistols. If you are getting one to use to do the "push forward" technique, DO NOT get one with the built in bungee cords or other stretchable material. It won't work for that. Ask me how I know. :facepalm:

After spending over a year trying out different setups, this is basically what I have found works for me and the way I shoot. YMMV. I replaced the carbine base plate with one that has some sort of attachment point for a sling on it. I have tried a couple, and they all seem to work about the same. This gives you an attachement point right under the base of the buffer tube. For the front I do one of two things. I either put a sling attachment point ong the side of the handguard, or if the gun has a standard A frame front sight, I run a loop of paracord through that and do an Israeli sling attachment with that. Then I get a 2 point or 3 point sling and attach it to the gun.

For the most part I prefer the 2 point. The 3 point seems to work better on rifles for me. The thing is, you need to have a set up that is comfortable for you. It needs to keep the gun under control and out of the way when you are not using it. That was my main problem with the single point slings. Ingnoring the bounce in the ones that I tried, I found them almost impossible to use if I was trying to perform any other task. The gun would invariably flop around, bang into things, or drag on the ground if I leaned forward to do anything.

When it comes to the basics of using AR pistols, this is probably one of the best videos I have found.

It actually looks at using them in different situations, and different techniques for shooting them. It isn't as in-depth as many other carbine videos, but I found it helpful.

03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Gtm realized that after, can't edit on phone.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Gtm realized that after, can't edit on phone.

lol. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Besides, these things are less than a year old, so there is still a huge chunk of the community that doesn't know that they are ok now. I have had pictures pulled on other forums until I emailed them the links showing that it was legal. :p