PDA

View Full Version : saiga 7.62x39 questions

davidb
03-19-2012, 5:56 PM
hey there everybody, im planning on purchasing a saiga 7.62x39 in the near future and have a couple questions.

if i don't convert it do i still need a bullet button/raddlock?

ive done some searching around and can only find info that relates to saiga 12's on this issue.

also is an unconverted saiga the best choice for a CA legal ak / ak-pattern rifle that wouldnt need a raddlock? the only things ive found around town are the saigas and wasr's, and the wasr's seem like a bit of a gamble to buy.

thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

-david

sportsman
03-19-2012, 6:06 PM
do not need a bullet button unless you want to convert it pistol grip etc
i have the saiga 762/39 love it doing the conversion now. said i wouldnot but believe me once you get it you will want to

davidb
03-19-2012, 6:20 PM
the saiga seems like a great rifle, im deffinately getting it knowing theres no need for bullet button when unconverted.

i would really like to put the pistol grip and wooden furniture on but that would require a button then right?

esnyderr
03-19-2012, 6:59 PM
^yes with a pistol grip you would have to bullet button it.

PEZHEAD265
03-19-2012, 9:55 PM
^yes with a pistol grip you would have to bullet button it.

Would he also have to make it 922r compliant?

G-Solutions
03-19-2012, 10:31 PM
hey there everybody, im planning on purchasing a saiga 7.62x39 in the near future and have a couple questions.

if i don't convert it do i still need a bullet button/raddlock?

ive done some searching around and can only find info that relates to saiga 12's on this issue.

also is an unconverted saiga the best choice for a CA legal ak / ak-pattern rifle that wouldnt need a raddlock? the only things ive found around town are the saigas and wasr's, and the wasr's seem like a bit of a gamble to buy.

thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

-david

Hi David,

A stock Saiga in 7.62x39 does not require a bullet button or any similar abominations since it does not have a pistol grip or any of the other features that would define an assault rifle.

I've been teaching several classes either dedicated to running the saiga or with Saigas being the majority of the rifles in the class (http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?59147-Rifle-Gunfighting-Los-Angeles-Sept-19-20). Unmodified the Saiga does not handle quite as well as a regular AK, but nonetheless it is a highly capable and robust weapon.
If you want a rifle that you can run unrestricted, meaning that you do not have to worry about any problems/restriction with your reloads or be concerned about any legal problems, I'd go with the Saiga.

Three things that I would recommend getting in addition to the rifle itself:
1) a basic two-point sling
2) plenty of mags (check Gunbroker and Auctionarms for the seller Joespawnshop)
3) a support bag that looks like a messenger bag, but holds your mags and has a dump pouch for the empties.

This kit will not break the bank and serve you well. Many people scoff on the unconverted Saigas... I like them and for my purposes, they have proven themselves many times over.

lrj812
03-20-2012, 6:44 AM
I put 1000 rds through my stock Saiga 7.62 x 39 without one misfire shooting Yugo M67. The rifle felt a little forward to me and the trigger pull was a little rough. After conversion it balanced the rifle, the trigger is awesome compared to pre conversion. But and it is a big but. The mag lock device makes the gun feel for lack of a better word, neutered.

I am strongly considering going featureless with a wrap around grip. Google "featureless Saiga" to see some pics. Not a look I like but no mag lock/bullet button. Bullet button on Saigas/AK style guns aren't as smooth as AR style. If I had a choice to convert again, I would, for the better trigger pull. Left stock it is still a fun and capable gun.

rrr70
03-20-2012, 7:19 AM
One word, GRIP WRAP. Ok, it was two words. :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/383351_2809372280922_1457183856_2813138_80257470_n .jpg

G-Solutions
03-20-2012, 8:00 AM
How well do those grip-wraps work when you do mag changes while moving?

I had two students use monster man grips a couple of years back and those rifles required being held at a pretty steep angle so that they would not twist out of the shooter's grip.

Other than that definitely a good way to legally get a good trigger (such as a red star arms) without having to deal with the bullet button.

rrr70 - nice conversion!

AKSOG
03-20-2012, 8:07 AM

Yes

Baconator
03-20-2012, 8:09 AM

922r
- High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles, 5 rounds for shotgun) magazines
- Pistol grip attachment
- Folding buttstock
- Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
- Bayonet lugs
If your rifle or shotgun incorporates those features, it no longer is considered "suitable for sporting purposes".

So if all you do is mod the magazine acceptance with a bullet guide so it takes ak mags, would you be ok to not fully convert it as long as you only use 10 round mags?

zfields
03-20-2012, 8:23 AM
G- just fine. Sling helps though.

peterhodges
03-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi David,

A stock Saiga in 7.62x39 does not require a bullet button or any similar abominations since it does not have a pistol grip or any of the other features that would define an assault rifle.

I've been teaching several classes either dedicated to running the saiga or with Saigas being the majority of the rifles in the class (http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?59147-Rifle-Gunfighting-Los-Angeles-Sept-19-20). Unmodified the Saiga does not handle quite as well as a regular AK, but nonetheless it is a highly capable and robust weapon.
If you want a rifle that you can run unrestricted, meaning that you do not have to worry about any problems/restriction with your reloads or be concerned about any legal problems, I'd go with the Saiga.

Three things that I would recommend getting in addition to the rifle itself:
1) a basic two-point sling
2) plenty of mags (check Gunbroker and Auctionarms for the seller Joespawnshop)
3) a support bag that looks like a messenger bag, but holds your mags and has a dump pouch for the empties.

This kit will not break the bank and serve you well. Many people scoff on the unconverted Saigas... I like them and for my purposes, they have proven themselves many times over.

There you have it, from someone with substantial experience.

68Datsun510
03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Not trying to threadjack, but, say i install a bullet guide on mine. But ONLY to run 10 rounders.

922r???

MarkL
03-20-2012, 1:36 PM
68Datson, that is exactly what I was wondering. I want to keep my Saiga 5.45 (picking up in 3 days!) stock, but want to add a bullet guide to make 10-rd Tapco mags reliable. Will I still be legal with just adding the BG?

Baconator
03-20-2012, 1:38 PM
Not trying to threadjack, but, say i install a bullet guide on mine. But ONLY to run 10 rounders.

922r???

68Datson, that is exactly what I was wondering. I want to keep my Saiga 5.45 (picking up in 3 days!) stock, but want to add a bullet guide to make 10-rd Tapco mags reliable. Will I still be legal with just adding the BG?

This was my question too. Here is 922r

922r
- High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles, 5 rounds for shotgun) magazines
- Pistol grip attachment
- Folding buttstock
- Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
- Bayonet lugs
If your rifle or shotgun incorporates those features, it no longer is considered "suitable for sporting purposes".

So if you only ever ran it with 10 round mags, wouldn't you be ok?

evolution1974
03-20-2012, 1:45 PM

From what I understand, the Saiga 5.45 can operate without the use of a bullet guide, when used with standard AK74 mags. Hopefully, someone with a Saiga 5.45 can confirm or correct my statement.

stix213
03-20-2012, 2:26 PM
My Saiga 7.62x39 is the 2nd rifle from the bottom in the below pic. Its my favorite firearm, I did the conversion myself, and I absolutely love it in this configuration. Still no bullet button needed. I'd recommend running it this way to anyone. Balances much better, and the trigger is fantastic in comparison to the stock trigger. 922r concerns largely fix themselves as you're doing the conversion.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7558/img1004jg.jpg

KandyRedCoi
03-20-2012, 4:12 PM
please recommend sources for 2 point sling, thanks!

G-Solutions
03-20-2012, 5:15 PM
Quick-adjustable sling $19 shipped (http://www.gebhardsolutions.com/gear)
http://www.gebhardsolutions.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/gs_univ_sling.270213233_std.JPG

I use those on my Saigas and on my lever-actions

Cheers

KandyRedCoi
03-20-2012, 11:23 PM
got any in black? thank you

G-Solutions
03-21-2012, 5:35 AM
PM Inbound

Quiet
03-21-2012, 7:00 AM
From what I understand, the Saiga 5.45 can operate without the use of a bullet guide, when used with standard AK74 mags. Hopefully, someone with a Saiga 5.45 can confirm or correct my statement.

You are correct in that you do not need to install a bullet guide in order to use AK74 magazines.
The long taper of the bullet on the 5.45x39mm cartridge seems to make chambering from an AK74 magazine to work fine.
However, for increased reliability it is recommended to install one if you intent to use AK74 magazines.

Also, note that 922r compliance is required if you use large capacity AK74 magazines.

davidb
04-01-2012, 1:15 AM
hey everyone thanks for all the info and advice, it looks like i will be buying a saiga after all the good things you have all said about it.

i think i will stick with it unconverted but i will have to pick up the extra mags,2 point sling and support bag that G-Solutions recommended.

thanks again for all the good advice,
David

G-Solutions
04-02-2012, 7:52 AM
Glad I could help. Please PM or e-mail me if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,

CAGLS
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
My Saiga IZ332 in jail right now pending release next Monday. Can I use my pre-ban hi cap 30 rd mags if rifle is non featured config or am i still limited to 10 rds? I ordered a 10rd mag with 30 rd body from Mississippiautoarms.com.