PDA

View Full Version : What's considered a good group via iron sights?

CALI SHOT DOC
03-19-2012, 4:09 PM
I got a chance to go out Sunday and sight in my first AR using iron sights (A2 style front and Magpul rear flip sight). I sighted it in using the smaller aperture as that is what I had read on some posts. I've never shot with iron sights so I'm still learning.

Whats considered a good group.
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k523/playhoops_13/IMG_0173.png
I ran out of sticky targets so I had to stay with the same one. This is at 50 yards

G60
03-19-2012, 4:20 PM
Depends what position you're shooting from and what you're using for support.

CALI SHOT DOC
03-19-2012, 4:25 PM
Depends what position you're shooting from and what you're using for support.

Sorry forgot to add that part. I was sitting using a sandbag under the barrel. butt stock was free

milotrain
03-19-2012, 4:40 PM
Expert scores with the NRA (classifications are Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master, and High Master) are around the following with an AR and iron-sights:

Offhand or Sitting Rapid-Fire at 200 yards 13" MAX
Prone Rapid-Fire at 300 yards 13" MAX
Prone at 600 yards 18" MAX
100 yards Prone should be around 2.75" groups MAX

If you want to get better you should go shoot some Service Rifle Highpower matches. Read up about them and read about sight picture and trigger control. A little information will shrink your groups tremendously.

1. Focus on the front sight, don't focus on the target. The target should be a blur.

BraveUlysses
03-19-2012, 4:50 PM
Expert scores with the NRA (classifications are Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master, and High Master) are around the following with an AR and iron-sights:

Offhand or Sitting Rapid-Fire at 200 yards 13" MAX
Prone Rapid-Fire at 300 yards 13" MAX
Prone at 600 yards 18" MAX
100 yards Prone should be around 2.75" groups MAX

If you want to get better you should go shoot some Service Rifle Highpower matches. Read up about them and read about sight picture and trigger control. A little information will shrink your groups tremendously.

1. Focus on the front sight, don't focus on the target. The target should be a blur.

Thanks. Good interesting info.

Ahhnother8
03-19-2012, 5:53 PM
What's considered a good group?

1 MOA

Crunch130
03-19-2012, 6:47 PM
Off a sandbag, from 100 yards, using the issued open sights on my Swede M38 Mauser or my Finn M1939 Mosin, I can get groups around 1.5 inch. These rifles don't have alot of recoil (which makes your follow-through less consistent), but a whole lot more than an AR in .223.

So maybe 1 MOA with issue peep sights, but you should be able to do better than 1.5 MOA with an ammo the rifle likes.

Crunch