PDA

View Full Version : Well, just picked up a rifle I've been looking for awhile now

bombadillo
03-19-2012, 2:03 PM
AND AM STOKED its in stock! :eek: I was poking around budsgunshop.com and saw the Mossberg MVP which is one I've been looking one for a few months, and locally they're around $250 more than online. It makes it more than worth the transfer price. They're 700+ tax+DROS here at the local shop. Online it was $479+15 for "non cash price" $5.00 for Insurance, and gonna be $50 for transfer and DROS so altogether $550 OTD. I already have a scope and bipod ready for it, but it will be a nice addition to my collection as it takes AR-15 mags. To my knowledge there is no law saying I can't use my 30 round AR mags in a bolt action gun so this should be interesting. Has a nice benchrest style pistol gripped stock like a B&C almost, sling studs already, free-floated, cheek rest is centered with the bore, fluted medium contour barrel, fluted bolt (which I hear you really have to work to smooth out so I guess its more for looks than anything else) and scope bases already included. I'm contemplating on a 4-16 or a 6-24 scope though. I already have a 6-24 but may want to get a redfield 4-16 on there instead. Anyway, all giddy and will give a range report after a few weeks. Gonna take a good solid 2 weeks to receive, DROS, and wait for so may be a bit. Here's a pic of what it will look like for good measure:

http://gunwriter.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/s27710_mvpscopebipod_profile.jpg

gil671
03-19-2012, 2:05 PM
Thats a very nice looking rifle and the stock looks killer!

Joe
03-19-2012, 2:17 PM
Nice looking rifle. Love detachable mag bolt actions

bombadillo
03-19-2012, 2:27 PM
I think I'm just gonna slap on a BSA Sweet .223 scope because it has a bdc turret for multiple grain .223 rounds and the 6-18x is only 69.99 right now at half off. Then I can leave my other scopes alone. If its not up to par, I can always buy a nicer scope, but for cheap plinking, it should get the job done.

The Wulf
03-19-2012, 2:34 PM
Nice gun. I'm still looking for one of the shops in my area to stock these....:(

bombadillo
03-19-2012, 2:37 PM
Grab one on buds and find the cheapest transfer in your local area. Almost guarantee they will be the cheapest around and one of the only in stock.

kris smith
03-19-2012, 3:43 PM
It's a sweet gun to hold I live mine

brianm767
03-19-2012, 4:02 PM
I've been looking at one of those my self if it is the 27700 model, Alquist in Turlock list it for $519.74 and they will do a 3 month layaway, I thought about it several times.

Congrats on your new toy.

bombadillo
03-19-2012, 4:09 PM
Hopefully more than a toy. I'm going to do everything possible to make it a super accurate .223 gun. My goal is to work up a load to a half to 3/4" 5 shot group at 100 yards. I LOVE accurate .223 rifles and this one may just do the trick. First thing I'd like to have done is re-crown it and put an 11* recessed target crown on it. I'd like to work the action over a little bit and may have a bit of custom work done to it for bedding and making sure its really well fitted into the stock. I'd love to find a great factory ammo that just flat shoots out of it as well. My last AR-15 was a JP-15 and it was a 3/4" gun all day and that was a semi-auto so I'm hoping my bolt gun will do the job.

Edit: Looks like one of those Surefire 60 round magazines by the pic. Didn't catch that at first.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Mossberg_mvp.jpg

This was at shot show with a 3060 rounder in it! :mnl:

Now I can't wait to get my 20 rounders in it and go to town on coyote's or squirrels. I think I found my new favorite digger squirrel gun.

shooperman
03-19-2012, 4:17 PM
Wow. Very nice looking. Congrats.

Mossy Man
03-19-2012, 5:15 PM
pretty cool rifle. i want one to shoot bolts on the cheap. big plus that it uses ar mags

OldSchoolRanger
03-19-2012, 6:55 PM
A 60 round magazine on a bolt? Gonna have to shoot that gun always standing up. :D
Did you pick up the gun yet? I read an article on it in one of the gun mags, and it mentioned a "bullet pick-up" attachment, on the bolt. I'm just curious how that works out. Best of luck with the rifle.

OldSchoolRanger
03-19-2012, 6:55 PM
A 60 round magazine on a bolt? Gonna have to shoot that gun always standing up. :D
Did you pick up the gun yet? I read an article on it in one of the gun mags, and it mentioned a "bullet pick-up" attachment, on the bolt. I'm just curious how that works out. Best of luck with the rifle.

SURVIVOR619
03-19-2012, 7:04 PM
Nice looking rifle! Enjoy brother!!

bombadillo
03-19-2012, 7:53 PM

It's actually really ingenuous how it works. It has a spring loaded piece that drops down on the bot a bit to pick up a round from the mag. You can see pics online.

skkeeter
03-19-2012, 7:59 PM
Congrats!!!! Looks like a fun new varmint destroyer. You can now shoot an entire range session without a mag change:eek:

kris smith
03-19-2012, 8:17 PM
It has a semi circle on the bolt that sprigs down between te feed lips to extract the round. And then the camber presses it back into te bolt so it can rotate into battery very cool stuff ! they said that it was a major road block to designing i at mag fed bolt gun

kris smith
03-19-2012, 8:17 PM
It has a semi circle on the bolt that sprigs down between te feed lips to extract the round. And then the camber presses it back into te bolt so it can rotate into battery very cool stuff ! they said that it was a major road block to designing an AR mag fed bolt gun

Capybara
03-19-2012, 8:21 PM
I've been wanting one of these since it was announced. Very hard to find, you done good. Enjoy it.

bombadillo
03-19-2012, 8:21 PM
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/07/07/sneak-peek-mossberg-mvpnikon-prostaff/

Here is a link to the gun, review and pic of the bolt face and extractor.

bombadillo
03-19-2012, 8:25 PM
:cool:I've been wanting one of these since it was announced. Very hard to find, you done good. Enjoy it.

they had a handful at buds, but only 24". Personally, that's what I wanted.

diego-ted
03-20-2012, 5:25 AM
Did you forget the Komofornia use tax??$$$$$$

bombadillo
03-20-2012, 5:27 AM
Oh no, i'll be claiming it for my 2012 tax season.

Jpach
03-20-2012, 1:14 PM
Very nice rifle.

I'm gonna be honest, BSA is pure sh1t. For not much more, you can get a Vortex scope and not have to worry about it breaking on you.

bombadillo
03-20-2012, 3:02 PM
I know, I plan on changing it out later, but for now its gonna have to make due. At sub $500 I'm not too worried about optics. I may. Get a big 6-24x Target scope later on, but we'll see. I'm an optician and poor optics make me cry a little as I know a fair amount about them, but its more a budget thing.

rumblebee
03-20-2012, 4:25 PM
Congrats! Your local FFL will assist you with the tax part ;):p

Oh no, i'll be claiming it for my 2012 tax season.

ahren111
03-20-2012, 6:05 PM
Nice looking rifle, congrats!!! Only problem IMO if you're buying a Mossberg you should have got one of these :rofl:

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/ahren111/mos.gif

xpbprox
03-20-2012, 6:18 PM
Man that thing is sweet, its cool that if I ever need to i can just pop in my AR mags.
I've been planing on getting a rifle but was leaning more towards a .308

bombadillo
03-20-2012, 6:26 PM
Congrats! Your local FFL will assist you with the tax part ;):p

No he won't, he will let me claim it at the end of the year for my use taxes as it should be. I'll pay it, I'm an honest working man, but some of this is BS how they try and get it at the time of DROS. Not to start an argument, but they don't have to collect on the spot, they just have to inform you that you need to pay.