PDA

View Full Version : XTC (200,300, 600 yard) Rifle Match at Pendleton this weekend

bubbapug1
03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
XTC and MR Tournaments March 24 & March 25

http://www.smgunclub.org/?p=943

SMGC will hold a High Power XTC Tournament on March 24th and a Mid Range Tournament on March 25th. Please use the pre-registration page on the web site to secure your base access.

Please download and read the match program and complete the registration form ahead of your arrival at Range 103. There is no need to mail your registration to the club PO BOX.

Mar 24 2012 Match Program and Registration Form

Mar 25 2012 Match Program and Registration Form

You will be expected to do pit duty, so please check out SMGC's forum here on calguns and watch the pit video sticky to be prepared. See link below!!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=270925

PM me for any questions. I am a newbie to these events, and I must say they are very fun but demanding.

Registration opens at 07:30. Firing starts at 08:00.

milotrain
03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm there. First time at Pendleton.

23's Dad
03-19-2012, 3:05 PM
I'll be there. Anyone have an idea of how late the XTC matches usually run? My wife is already trying to pin me down on the 24th.

What scoring system are we using on the XTC? Is it the 2012 High Power Rule Change or something else?

killshot44
03-19-2012, 4:16 PM
What scoring system are we using on the XTC? Is it the 2012 High Power Rule Change or something else?

Slow fire should* be scored with the new method, rapids use the side-board same as before.

* not 100% sure, I'm not a member there.

bubbapug1
03-19-2012, 4:53 PM
looks like this

7 x/6

8 9 10/5

milotrain
03-19-2012, 5:22 PM
http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/images/NewScoringDiscPlacement.jpg
It changes so often at every range that Now I just pen it on my wrist at the start of a match. Then when I score I can quickly check so I don't mess up my call.

"Nine, 15 on. Oh wait I mean Eight 15 on. Sorry!"

bubbapug1
03-19-2012, 7:25 PM
I'm going to write it with a big black sharpie on the target frame!!! The wrist method slows me up too much.

23's Dad
03-20-2012, 8:34 AM
http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/images/NewScoringDiscPlacement.jpg
It changes so often at every range that Now I just pen it on my wrist at the start of a match. Then when I score I can quickly check so I don't mess up my call.

"Nine, 15 on. Oh wait I mean Eight 15 on. Sorry!"

Thanks!

bubbapug1
03-20-2012, 1:49 PM
You will be expected to do pit duty, so please check out SMGC's forum here on calguns and watch the pit video sticky to be prepared. See link below!!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=270925

milotrain
03-20-2012, 2:14 PM
It's a really good video. Gets you over the hump and makes it so you are not anxious on your first pit pull. Talk to the guy next to you before you start. Tell him you're new and that you might ask him about something every once and a while.

It's not an EIC match so if you have a question whether the hit is on the line or not then score it up.

Also try to get on a target where someone is shooting .30 cal if you can. Makes the first time a lot easier. And don't sit down during rapids, you don't have enough time usually.

23's Dad
03-20-2012, 4:02 PM
I've watched the video already and will let my fellow competitors in the pit's know that I'm re learning this. Does everyone bring PAM?

Pulled a lot of targets at Edson Range in the 1989...I was younger and slimmer then.

milotrain
03-20-2012, 5:08 PM
Never been to Pendleton but I believe the racks there are the cantilever types which don't need lube. Don't forget your eyes, ears hat and water.

bubbapug1
03-20-2012, 9:51 PM
I think they run on upright rails and are gobbed with grease unless I was dreaming last month. Pam was in abundance and used liberally

CRACKERJACK
03-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Are there spectators? Been wanting to get into this kind of stuff for awhile now, would be cool to look around and get a feel for what I should actually get. One thing the internet has taught me, people are split down the center on pretty much everything.

wsmc27
03-21-2012, 8:53 AM
Are there spectators? Been wanting to get into this kind of stuff for awhile now, would be cool to look around and get a feel for what I should actually get. One thing the internet has taught me, people are split down the center on pretty much everything.

Just spotted this on their FAQ page...

5.Can I visit a match as a guest (non-firing attendee)?
Yes. This is highly encouraged for anyone interested in getting into High Power Rifle competitive shooting, whether it be traditional “Across the Course”, Mid-Range prone, Long Range prone, or F-Class. To visit a match as a guest (non-firing observer), simply use the Online Pre-Registration Page just as if you were registering for match. But indicate you wish to register as a “Non-Firing Observer”.

-----------
The pre-reg page is at http://prereg.smgunclub.org/

Great question, I am interested to see this event as well.

23's Dad
03-21-2012, 9:15 AM

If you've done any position shooting, give it a whirl! I'm cobbling together a kit based on my smallbore equipment and an old NM M1. The last time that I shot an XTC, the M1A ruled the course and the AR was a rarity. I'm just there to have fun and enjoy the experience.

bubbapug1
03-21-2012, 3:01 PM
I'm just there to have fun and enjoy the experience.

That is the proper attitude to take into the first match. Just buy some name brand ammo (100 rounds), and bring lots of water, a mat of some sort, and a spotting scope with a tripod.

It would be a shame to go all that way and not shoot. Its really not that hard once you get on zero for 200, 300 and 600 yards. We can calculate your clicks per each range if you know the adjustment of your rear sights in moa and the ammo type you are shooting.

Really, its not too bad.

milotrain
03-21-2012, 4:37 PM
It's actually one of the cheapest ways to practice at those yardages without having to wait for a cease fire and hoof it all the way down to your target too see how well you missed. I've heard of people going to 3x600 matches to do long range load development because someone else is down there scoring your target and all you have to do is shoot and write it down.

bubbapug1
03-21-2012, 8:29 PM
Let me know if any of you want to squad up. There is usually 3 people to a squad. At times there can be four. I am no expert by far, I have only shot one match, and I was a bit slow in the pits, but will be twice as fast this time after I praticed a bit. Shoot me a PM if your interested. You will need to be there no later than 7:30 as they start at 8:00 sharp...they are after all...former marines not bankers.

CRACKERJACK
03-22-2012, 9:02 AM
Just spotted this on their FAQ page...

5.Can I visit a match as a guest (non-firing attendee)?
Yes. This is highly encouraged for anyone interested in getting into High Power Rifle competitive shooting, whether it be traditional “Across the Course”, Mid-Range prone, Long Range prone, or F-Class. To visit a match as a guest (non-firing observer), simply use the Online Pre-Registration Page just as if you were registering for match. But indicate you wish to register as a “Non-Firing Observer”.

-----------
The pre-reg page is at http://prereg.smgunclub.org/

Great question, I am interested to see this event as well.
Nice, thank you.

If you've done any position shooting, give it a whirl! I'm cobbling together a kit based on my smallbore equipment and an old NM M1. The last time that I shot an XTC, the M1A ruled the course and the AR was a rarity. I'm just there to have fun and enjoy the experience.
Haha, the amount that I am under qualified to jump right into this is pretty staggering. I'm just hoping that it sets me in the right direction so that will change in the next few months.

What day(s) are you guys going?

milotrain
03-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Let me know if any of you want to squad up. There is usually 3 people to a squad. At times there can be four. I am no expert by far, I have only shot one match, and I was a bit slow in the pits, but will be twice as fast this time after I praticed a bit. Shoot me a PM if your interested. You will need to be there no later than 7:30 as they start at 8:00 sharp...they are after all...former marines not bankers.

I'm in. I think I know a few people going down there. The one guy I'm sure of is very good. I am new to this whole thing. This is my third full XTC match, all others have been reduced course. I'm getting close to the line of Sharpshooter, but I've got to button up some variables I keep changing and just shoot.

My name is Milo, I'll be in a grey Volvo most likely. I'm crashing with my GF's Brother and Sister in law on base the night before, so it will be easy to make it on time.

23's Dad
03-22-2012, 10:59 AM
T

Its really not that hard once you get on zero for 200, 300 and 600 yards. We can calculate your clicks per each range if you know the adjustment of your rear sights in moa and the ammo type you are shooting.

Thanks for the offer! I could use a double check on my "come-ups" I've got 168Gr OTM rounds and 1/2 min sights. I was looking at my old data book last night, and most of my data is from reduced ranges. I also noticed that my last match was around 1996 using 147Gr FMJ rounds.

Data book was a little thin, and somehow more cryptic than I hoped. I've never been very keen on keeping journals.

bubbapug1
03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
OK, I will be in a silver FX35 infinity, pushing a baby stroller looking thing as my range cart, with a blue UCLA hat on, khaki painters pants, and Lowa tank boots...haven't figured out my shirt yet....maybe something hawaiian!!!

We can have a calguns beginners squad....To reiterate, please watch the pits videos to insure we don't hold each other up on the line.

wsmc27
03-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Nice, thank you.

Sure no prob.

Haha, the amount that I am under qualified to jump right into this is pretty staggering. I'm just hoping that it sets me in the right direction so that will change in the next few months.

Am similarly under-Q, worst part for me is the 7 year old Lasik work has degenerated significantly and it's time for glasses again. :( Gotta get to it.

What day(s) are you guys going?

^^^ SAME QUESTION. You guys shooting both days, or ???

Am out Sat, going to Prado to train with Stan08 (TASC). Am a maybe for Sunday observing.

Bubba, maybe you CG guys should all wear Hawaiian shirts. Really gaudy ones. :p

Have FUN, good luck guys! :)

23's Dad
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I like the idea of the calguns beginner squad, but since it sounds like we're all unclassified - won't the secretary put us in the Master's class? They all shoot the same relay right?

Whatever...If they'll let us do it, we can give it a whirl. I generally shoot in a golf shirt because it works like underarmor beneath my shooting sweater and jacket. Keeps me dry and comfy.

I'm driving a green Mazda6. My name's Brad. 6'0" Caucasian. I'll wear a CAT ballcap. Look like the typical former Marine (which I am) or LEO (which I'm not).

milotrain
03-22-2012, 1:22 PM
Never shot with SMGC so I don't know how they build their relays.

23's Dad
03-22-2012, 1:30 PM
I did run across this on their website:

Classifications: You must indicate on your enclosed entry form: Rifle: Service Rifle, Match Rifle, etc., your NRA number, NRA membership expiration date, and your highest classification achieved. All Unclassified shooters will be placed in the Master Class category per NRA rules. If you do not have a classification, but you are keeping a NRA, temporary record book, then the scores from the record book will be used to place you in a classification for that Match.

Maybe the classification will only be relevant for the match results. We'll find out on Saturday!

bubbapug1
03-23-2012, 9:54 AM
Here is the Federal OTM ammo dope

Federal 308 otm 2650 fps at muzzle...1.25 front sight height (per shooter) from CL of barrel. 1/2moa sights

Zero = 100 yards

200 yards drop -4.49 4 clicks

300 yards drop -15.70" 10 clicks

600 yards - 102.80" 33 clicks

We will not be in the masters class as long as you have a service rifle...we will be in service rifle class!! Don't plan on winning unless you paln on shooting 785 out of 800!! There are guys there who shoot a score of 780 out of 800...as in all bulls except for few shots!! But do plan on having fun

A couple more reminders:

All shooters MUST have a safety flag for thier gun...as in a safety flag in the chamber...yellow

All shooters please watch the pit tending video

All shooters, I will have paint pens to mark you elevation dials for the clicks once you are on zero for the range and ammo.

23's Dad
03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
I've got a couple of extra chamber flags if someone needs to borrow one.

Video - Check, Pam - Check, Rope - Check.

sandeggo
03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
I cant remember range numbers now but if the target carriages are like the ones at Edison, they're slathered with grease. I had to weld all the carriages there and that grease sucked big time

bubbapug1
03-23-2012, 9:45 PM
This is going to be great. Perfect weather. Look forward to squading up with my fellow calgunners.

I'll be wearing a blue UCLA hat. I recommend some yellow glasses for early on as the light will be pretty flat.

bubbapug1
03-24-2012, 9:18 PM
Thanks for coming out today fella's. It was a pleasure to meet all of you.

I cannot remember exactly who asked me about the ballistics program I have on my phone, so here it is for the group. I find it to be very rich in features and it has a broad database of factory loads too.

Its called Ballistic v2.5.6

by Jonathan Zdziarski

I hope to see all of you in the future at the match's. We all had a good day I think.

Take care.