PDA

View Full Version : Magazine extensions for Benelli Nova/Super Nova?

RolinThundr
03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I have found a few aftermarket magazine extensions for the Benelli Nova and Super Nova, but not one that is actually manufactured by Benelli. Why can't I find one, or rather, why can't I find a new production and not some overpriced used/prior owned one?

Of the aftermarket ones, is Tac Star any good? Any other recommedations?

BretByron
03-19-2012, 11:17 AM
The TacStar unit is solid and about half the price. I think some others are Aluminum to keep the weight down, but it's just a tube sealed on one end w/ threads in the other.

TacStar +2 on an 18.5" bbl

prc77
03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
right here

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-Shotgun-Extension-Complete-Assemblies-for-12ga-12GA-EXT.htm?productId=11

BretByron
03-19-2012, 12:25 PM
That is one of the more expensive Aluminum ones

here:
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LM&prodID=LM1081188&prodTitle=TacStar%207%20Shot%20Mag%20Ext%20Benelli %20Nova/Super

Nightron
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Of the aftermarket ones, is Tac Star any good? Any other recommedations?
You should search this forum for some combination of: benelli imported magazine extension.
Here's just one such discussion. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=536095

Better to go into it with both eyes open.

RolinThundr
03-19-2012, 2:16 PM
You should search this forum for some combination of: benelli imported magazine extension.
Here's just one such discussion. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=536095

Better to go into it with both eyes open.

If I install a US made magazine extension (with any parts it comes with such as a new spring), would this violate 922(r) or 925(d)?

In addition, if someone changes out a stock on a Chinese made shotgun for a Chinese made adjustable stock w/ pistol grip (made by a different company), does this violate 922(r) or 925(d)? How many parts do most adj pistol grip stocks count as?

Sicarius
03-19-2012, 2:38 PM
There is several different interpretations of the 922r laws. It is best to do your reading and get an understanding for yourself. My understanding, if you read into a bit of it, is that it applies to semi auto shotguns but if you take it for face value, it does state that it is for "any shotgun". Here is a good link.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=471178
If the laws were applied... I am sure Tom Knapp would be be behind bars along with all the other exibition shooters.
Best practice is to always play it safe and if US made parts are available, use them.
Back to your question. Benelli stopped producing them but there are other great companies that make them. Daves Metal Works and Nordic are probably the two best in the business for benelli. I sport a 9 round Daves Metal Works and it works flawlessly. I went with DMW because I wanted to retain the factory barrel retension nut and the extension is made of steel.
Kevin

prc77
03-19-2012, 2:43 PM
Nordic Components stand behind the stuff.

Nightron
03-19-2012, 11:07 PM
(regarding Benelli Nova/Super-Nova, or other imported shotguns) If I install a US made magazine extension (with any parts it comes with such as a new spring), would this violate 922(r) or 925(d)?
I can't answer that. I am a newbie here. I had similar interest in mag extension for my Benelli Nova Pump Tactical, but I have since backed off of that mod. The legality issue is just too confusing at this point. I would not buy the cheapest extension and I don't want to throw $120 at a quality one just for two extra shells. If I found a great deal on Nordic or other, I might do the work to see this through the legal maze.

I read some of the ATF documents. What's interesting is that I cannot myself come up with a parts count of imported parts for the Nova Tactical. And I suspect the parts count for the Super Nova Tactical would be different. The basic Nova Tact has a one-piece integrally molded stock, the Super Nova Tact has a detachable stock. Then there's the Super Nova variant that includes a distinct pistol grip version of the stock.

There is several different interpretations of the 922r laws. It is best to do your reading and get an understanding for yourself. My understanding, if you read into a bit of it, is that it applies to semi auto shotguns but if you take it for face value, it does state that it is for "any shotgun".I have to agree. You have to get into it yourself... AND STILL ask the questions. If you do not read some of the source documents, you may miss some relevant factors and fail to ask the right questions. Consider for example, if you ask about the mag extension... and then later think you can add a tactical light, you step over the line somewhere -- about what is accepted (by them) as "sporting purposes".

Interesting since if you had a Mossberg 590A1 with some added mods, you can go a long way into mega-tactical add-ons and still be so very very legal (and non-scary).:rolleyes: