capntim
03-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I figured at least a few of you guys might be able to assist me
on my info and maybe give me more. I recently obtained an M1A
through an inheritance. Checking on serial # it was made late "94"
or early "95". It has the standard flash suppressor on it and from
what I have heard I need to change it out to a CA legal muzzle
brake. If this is correct please let me know before I drop the $90
to get one from Springfield. I also have ten 20 round mags with it.
To be able to shoot this with out catching any grief (at a range)I imagine I
will need to obtain some 5/10 round magazines.Any info would be great.
Thanks Guys,
Tim

louscamaro91
03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
I have quite a few of those CA legal Muzzle breaks if you need one.
You will use the front sight and castle nut off your old one.
$40 shipped is my price.

jtkkz
03-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I have quite a few of those CA legal Muzzle breaks if you need one.
You will use the front sight and castle nut off your old one.
$40 shipped is my price.

I may need one of those CA. legal muzzle brake too.....
Do you have a website or email address?

OldShooter32
03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
That $90 will guarantee the rifle is totally crime-free, so you should do that anyway. Oh, and no crooks hit anyone until the 11th round, so you need ten-round magazines too. Be sure to grind off that bayonet lug to avoid any school bayonetings...

I won't try to give you legal advice, but check the "flow chart" and it should help.

Pthfndr
03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Be sure to grind off that bayonet lug to avoid any school bayonetings...

Bayonet lugs are not a CA AW characteristic.

Sicarius
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Bayonet lugs are fine since 2007 when the federal ban sunset. Just swap the flash hider to a comp and disassemble the 20 round mags and save them when you go out of state to reassemble.
Kevin

dachan
03-19-2012, 1:31 PM
How did you receive it as an inheritance? If it was already in CA, with a flash suppressor, it's a AW. Is it a RAW? If so, you have only a short time to sell it out of state or turn it in. You can also probably remove the flash suppressor and deregister it as an AW. If it isn't a RAW and is already in CA, you are in possession of a unregistered AW. You may have similar issues with the 20rnd mags. You cannot receive large capacity magazines as an inheritance, they can however be disassembled and transfered to you as rebuild kits by the estate.

17+1
03-19-2012, 2:14 PM
Put a brake on it and shoot that bad boy!

Put a rivet in the 20's if you are that worried about it. The longer mag body gives more leverage when locking the magazine into position and they're good to rest on your palm or hang onto, depending on your shooting style.

thai562
03-19-2012, 2:28 PM
The only thing you need to do is get yourself a CA muzzle break . You can keep all your 20 rounds mags. You can used the 20 rounder if you Don't have the Flash suppressor and /or pistol grip.
Here are some VERY IMPORTANT Info on your new rifle.
Because your rifle was made in 94/95, it has a lot of USGI parts in it. This make your rifle very rare.
Your flash suppressor with lug most likely a USGI parts, keep that, or ask a little more when you sell it.
Your mags are also USGI mags, look for marking ("BRW" most common) on the back on the mag bodies.
Also check for manufacture markings (TRW, 66118, HRA, SA) on the bolt, op rod, trigger housing, and barrel.

capntim
03-19-2012, 7:14 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. I am definately going to replace flash hider
with muzzle brake. That seems to be the one thing that makes the rifle
stand out as not CA legal. Going to try and get more info as far as
registration status of rifle as I dont need any issues but am not going to
turn it in. 20 rd mags can stay in safe, looking to pick up couple 5/10
rounders. Gonna refinish stock since I have a lot of woodworking/refinishing
experiance and although it is good shape(no dents/scratches) there are
several spots where finish is worn. Then I can also check mfg. markings(thanks thai562). Also noticed rifle has national match sites- not sure
if original or added on. Once again thanks.What a great site Calguns is!
Tim

therealnickb
03-19-2012, 9:41 PM
I'm not sure refinishing is the best thing to do here. Also, don't be taking that thing apart unless you need to.

It sounds like you have a very cool rifle. Go slow. Get some expert "eyes on" advice before you dig in. IMO.

capntim
03-19-2012, 10:12 PM
I was not gonna go to crazy taking it apart. I was just planning on doing
a basic field strip mainly because it had not been fired in a long time and
some of the action (mag release,bolt, ect) seemed a little stiff and I
thought a one time going through and clean it up a bit wouldnt hurt.
Maybe I'am wrong. As far as refinishing i may just try and put some
tung oil on it because the stock definately could use some freshning
up. Thanks for the input. Will check at the local range and see if they
have some guys there that can give me some more advise. Cant wait to
shoot er!

slopoke
03-20-2012, 4:50 AM
In what Dachan stated, did you transfer it into your name yet? I'm asking this because, I got the impression that you are not sure if it might be a RAW (Registered Assault Weapon) or not and RAWs, can't be inherited. A quote from the CA DOJ website is below.

Can I inherit and keep a registered assault weapon?

No. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 12285(b), any person who obtains title to a registered assault weapon by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 90 days, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer who has a permit from the Department of Justice to purchase assault weapons, obtain a permit from the Department of Justice to possess assault weapons, or remove the weapon from this state.

DesertSniper
03-20-2012, 7:35 AM
:useless:

Omega13device
03-20-2012, 9:14 AM
If you have an M1A with a flash suppressor, and it's not a fixed-magazine setup, you're already in possession of an illegal AW based on features. Just get the FH off now, or close the gas port, which will make it a single-shot rifle (not semi-automatic = can't be AW), or fix the mag release so the magazine cannot be removed without the use of a tool. Then get the brake at your convenience.

Next you need to check the registration status of the rifle. If it's registered you may be able to unregister it, maybe not. I'm not sure if that can be done by someone who is not the original registrant.

Possession and use of large-capacity magazines is not illegal so there's nothing wrong with using them as-is, and no one will bother you at the range. The only restriction is that you may not use large-capacity magazines in a fixed-magazine rifle.

capntim
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. In the process of obtaining a CA legal
muzzle brake from Springfield. Also gonna pick up some 10 rd. mags.
Hopefully that will take care of things for now while I get the other
stuff sorted out. No wonder the states in such a mess:facepalm:.
Tim

slopoke
03-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Get your mags at 44mag.com and buy the CMI ones. They are as good as OEM.

gotshotgun?
03-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Get your mags at 44mag.com and buy the CMI ones. They are as good as OEM.

They are OEM :eek:

Without the branding

paratroop
03-21-2012, 12:14 AM
you have 20 rounders which i assume you aquired legally, so why buy more 10 rounders. with a muzzle brake, that is a featureless rifle

renardsubtil
03-21-2012, 8:27 AM
Thanks guys for all the info. In the process of obtaining a CA legal
muzzle brake from Springfield. Also gonna pick up some 10 rd. mags.
Hopefully that will take care of things for now while I get the other
stuff sorted out. No wonder the states in such a mess:facepalm:.
Tim

It's your gun and all but why buy the 10 rounders? I mean, save the $$ for more ammo man! lol!

Larger mags make nice leverage as someone already pointed out. Plus it's prolly cheaper to get a rivet tool and make a few 10/20 mags yourself and maybe save a few others as rebuilds. Rivets aren't permanent either, you can always drill them out later if you change your mind or move out of state. I only say this because when I first got my M1A, I was all caught up in finding a set of 10/20 mags that I ended up doing something stupid and blowing money on some 5/20 mags from a Canadian store for an obscene amount of money...then I found out about 44mag.com and found they made rebuild kits that I could have easily modified to fit my needs :rolleyes: and probably could have saved a few more bucks toward ammo....